“Homely and comfortable”

Ranked #10 of 329 Jakarta B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Homely and comfortable”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I had stayed at The Hang Tuah once before and this was my second stay. The atmosphere is very homely and cosy, tastefully furnished rooms with the most comfortable beds. Although located on a very busy road, the traffic noise was well absorbed by the lush greenery surrounding it. It is within walking distance to Senayan City, located about 500 metres away. There are many eateries in the location too and taxis readily available. At less than USD60, it was a bargain and real value for money suitable for business and families. I got myself a room on the lower floor with doors that opened right to the pool. The only shortcoming was that I had intermittent internet access as they were probably having trouble with the router on that floor. Overall, my stay was pleasant and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground or first floor, facing the pool...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank joashes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Sanur, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The Hang Tuah is very much a 4 star boutique hotel. It's in a great location close to Pacific Place, Grand Indonesia and other Jakarta hot spots. The staff are really lovely and kind and seem genuinely excited to see you. It's very good value and has an overall relaxing, welcoming ambiance. A few things to note:

1) It's pretty basic when it comes to amenities. Breakfast is two eggs with white toast and nescafe. in your bathroom you get one little bar of soap and one bottle of shampoo (and they don't have other things on request - e.g., shaving kit - but they'll be more than happy to send someone out to buy one!) The gym is pretty abysmal, so if you're staying for a week and want to exercise, probably not the place. There's no printer, business center, or other 'extras'.

2) Internet is really spotty and got pretty frustrating at times when I had to send urgent emails and documents. I've stayed in Hang Tuah a number of times and it has happened each time I've stayed that the internet was totally unreliable.

3) This last time I stayed I was put in room 044 (basement room). It smelled a little musty, the toilet ran, and there was no desk. The other rooms on the first and second floors are lovely so if they are going to put you there, just ask for another room.

4) Room service is not 24 hours and the menu is pretty minimal. Best to eat out before coming back to hotel.

All in all, if you're looking for having everything at your fingertips, 'luxury', or immediate convenience (for work, etc.) might be a little frustrating. If you just want a home away from home, or are stopping through for a night or two, I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay away from basement rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 27RachelP
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at the Hang Tuah by recommendation. After reading a few reviews on TA we decided to give it a try. We have no regrets. We had the lower ground floor rooms opening to the pool and Gym. Rooms are well decorated and clean with a shower. I was told that our rooms were newly refurbished that included a new flat screen TV. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The 'cook' who prepared our breakfast was very friendly, did his best to prepare our breakfast meticulously. There were 3 choices for breakfast that included juices, fresh cut fruits, coffee, tea, eggs and or an Indonesian dish. Dining room is located on same floor of reception. You have the possibilty to eat by the pool too. The downside of the hotel is the location, very noisy and heavy traffic at your door step. Closest Mall is about 15mins from hotel without traffic,. On the whole we had an enjoyable stay and will definetly return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Martha H
Bangkok
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Clean room, green surrounding, nice small pool and fitness. You really feel like home due to its location and nice neighbourhood & area. Very good value for money. Staff are attentive.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank VIPonBangkok
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 August 2011

No-one had reviewed this hotel but I had high hopes. I reserved in June and asked for a room as quiet and as high as possible with late arrival in July. My reservation was confirmed on 6th June. I arrived at 23.30 hours and was immediately shown to my room: unfortunately it was on the ground floor giving on to the main road. When I showed them the reservation they had confirmed they agreed but informed me that the hotel was full. As it was so late, I decided to take up the battle the following day and took the room. I opened the bed: on the top sheet was a blood stain and the disgusting stains of the mattress protector clearly showed through the bottom sheet. I asked for clean sheets and was informed that the laundry was closed. I insisted and finally they came. I ended up making up my own bed at midnight!!! A shame because the room and bathroom were very "boutique" although very noise as the bikes and scooters continued chasing down the road all night. The following morning after a long wait the manager showed up and I have to admit was very correct: she did not charge me for the first night but informed me that I would either have to spend the second night again on the ground floor or ..... In the end we came to an agreement regarding rates as it was not what I had been confirmed. I would have been completely thrilled if none of this had happened.

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank BaghdadSuzanne
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2010

During my honeymoon, I had to stay in this hotel because it's next to the hospital where my relative was sick and we planned to visit and take care of her. If not for the discrimination I experienced, I would give 5 stars for this hotel. Nice boutique hotel in the south of Jakarta, close to many city attractions. Clean and neat with lush garden and small but nice pool. I am the female Asian, and the first time I appeared in the receptionist desk asking for a room, the staff said the hotel was full, no more room available. But then when my husband (he's white caucasian) showed up 5 minutes later, suddenly they had room available. So, if you're not a white or not from any of their company partners, you might be rejected staying in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank marthiany
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2009

If you're looking for a lovely boutique hotel near shopping centres and near central Jakarta this is the place for you: rooms are spaciuos, lovely furnished and very clean. Staff are absolutely fantastic: very kind, welcoming and helpful. There is cable TV and swimming pool. Breakfast is ok, you can choose from a menu. Worth the price.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business