“Luxury and Strategic Location”

Hotel Gran Mahakam Jakarta
Ranked #33 of 459 Hotels in Jakarta
Bali
“Luxury and Strategic Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I had to go to Jakarta from Bali with a short notice and found this hotel being available - recommended by a friend who lives in Jakarta. Given the location is close to where our meeting was held (within 5-minutes of taxi drive), I was happy to find how close the hotel is to nice restaurants as well (just next door). If I need to go to Jakarta again, I will look to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Williamstown, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights as part of a school trip to Indonesia, which was located nearby. This is a very comfortable hotel. Good security downstairs, lots of willing and helpful staff who can speak English, lovely elegant deco, excellent room with good wifi and air con, a Jakarta Post each morning outside the door, and very quiet. Breakfast had a huge range of food to eat and drink. There is a nice pool, and the location is good for nearby restaurants and a large shopping mall. Our only criticism was a mixup with our booking which specified two single beds; instead we got a double, and had to do a room change. Pricey, but worth it.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

the hotel has simple yet classic and contemporary deco. room was great. love the service and indonesian hospitality as usual. good WIFI coverage does not log off automatically. stayd connected as long as u are in room altho inactive. just a little on negative side is there arent sufficient plug points in room to when you need to charge gadgets. also no master switch to switch on/off lights at various points. would be more convenient if there is a showerhead with hose.

breakfast was good. the bed was fantastic. had a wonderful sleep! will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I like the decoration of this hotel. Very romantic for couples or honeymooner.
Good location for business & shopping.
Friendly staff.
Room was nice but the wall too thin coz i still can hear people talking in other room.
Has so many good restaurant around this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Location very good, general facilities very good, services in general very good, rooms comfortable except for the high bathtub you have climb over to have a shower. Master switch for lights etc is not well planned and the wardrobe door wont close to turn off the light so have to disconnect to get lights out to sleep. Comfortable bed, good pillows, good internet, small old TV - overall ok. Staff at reception poorly organised and work in "police state" mentality for checking out. I dropped my bags at 7.45 and told them my consumption from mini-bar and would be checking out after breakfast. came back an hour later to do final check out and nothing prepared, had to wait until the police inspectors checked mini-bar etc before could settle the check. The final bill was presented and reception staff had no change, so because I dared to pay in cash instead of let an Indonesian' hotel have my credit card I had to wait some more while they found some change. They couldn't find enough so they only gave me what they had and kept the difference. It wasn't much in money terms but it wasn't theirs to keep. My 3rd visit and stay at this hotel - and my last.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the roadway, the traffic is noisy and continuously honking and beeping horns...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed in Gran Mahakam after reading some good reviews about it in Tripadvisor.
I booked for 7 days from 11 to 17June. I will not recommend this hotel to my company for the following reason. The never follow up on request, they do not know how to handle guest grievances except to just say sorry and go on their way.
Upon my arrival I found that the room I was given was far from the lift and wanted a room change. I did it twice for the first 2 days but no follow up from the staff. So I kept give up and just stay put in the room they assigned me. 5 days into my stay and having an important meeting the next day, I was not able to sleep as the there was an event with loud playing music just below my room (I am on the 3rd floor while the ballroom was directly below me on the 2nd floor). Call the manager, Erik, who did not and was not able to take any initiative but only to say sorry. And I thought sorry was the hardest word to say. He told me the band will stop by 10pm, which coincidently another manager, a lady told me will stop by 9pm. Erik left without offering any solution but to change my room, which coincidentally was what I wanted when I check in but no one follow up on it. Since I will be staying for one more night and hate packing and unpacking again, I declined his belated offer. My advise to anyone who wanted to stay is, stay if you do not forseen any problem arise during your stay (sarcasm). But if you must stay do not accept any floor lower than 5th floor to get a quiet room. I find it a disappointment that a grand hotel like Gran was not able to to handle a simple guest request and not able to make any service recovering to appease their guest. I for one had tried the hotel and would not be coming back as I have far better choices with far better location than Gran Mahakam.

Room Tip: Do not accept any room on the 3rd floor as it is directly above their outlets and function rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Civicesi
Gurgaon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Nice cozy room to stay with good option at breakfast for vegetarian as well. Also there are some big malls outside the hotel where you can have your dinner and shopping as well without any problem. Hotel can arrange for transportation on request which was add-on advantage

Room Tip: I choose economy class room which was excellent to me
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business