“Great hotel if you want to be in this area of Jakarta”

Hotel Gran Mahakam Jakarta
Ranked #29 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly the young ladies manning the doors. Rooms were decent size and immaculate. I only ate breakfast once during a four day stay here - was able to eat it beside the pool which was nice. Location is the one thing to be careful of with this hotel, but I guess that's the same for all hotels in Jakarta given how time-consuming it can be to get to any destination (traffic jams). Plenty of good and not too expensive restaurants on the same street and if you walk only a short distance many bars/restaurants and shopping in Blok M. Didn't try either of the hotel restaurants which both looked good but maybe a little bit pricey given other options available nearby e,g, Koi Mahakam next door.

Will probably stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Room on the 6th floor lets you walk straight to the pool without having to get the lift.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I went here to do my job as a team of wedding planner. Staffs here are very generous we can't ask for their help every time we need something. It's close to South Jakarta's old town shopping malls and nightlife foods. The bad thing about this was the parking space wasn't big enough. Le Gran cafe has foods to die for and the decorations itself is so breath taking.

Room Tip: Rooms directing at Mahakam street has the best downtown view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I just had the wonderful experience of staying at gran mahakam for 2 weeks. The quality of the room was exceptional and very good value. I stayed in the gran suite which they have the wrong m2 on their website. It is about 80m2+ not the 40m2 quoted. The standard of the furniture and fittings is very high with a comfortable bed and high quality linen. I used room service regularly for food and was always impressed by the speed of delivery and ate breakfast most days to find a huge selection.
The best though was the staff, when you stay at a hotel for a while u want it to feel like home which the staff do. They always greeted me with a smile and called me by my name which made it feel personal which you just dont get at a larger hotel, and this was from the manager of the hotel to the young ladies who open the door.
Its not a case of would i stay there again, i want to stay there again.

Room Tip: The gran suite is a lot larger than the m2 quoted on the website
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank irussell2000
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stayed here twice for about 2 weeks in October and November 2013, on business. Put up in the 'suite' rooms on top floor, which were lovely. Excellent beds and bathrooms and wonderful service. Quiet, clean and secure. Restaurant was perfectly adequate. Wide selection of foods available for breakfasts. Well located for shops and restaurants nearby, so easy to venture out to eat elsewhere.

This is not a cheap hotel (even by Jakarta standards), and of course, laundry is pricy, but alternative laundry and money-changing services are available nearby. The selection of tv channels available is pretty limited (I didn't bother!). And like so many other places in this part of the world, the air conditioning in the communal areas (and initially in the room too) was set far too low (or is that high?!), so bizarrely, frostbite can be a problem!

Nevertheless, these are minor criticisms. Overall, this was a nice hotel and I would happily stay there again.

The pool was pretty small and not suitable for any serious exercise, (so I never used it).

Room Tip: Top floor was great, but can't comment on anywhere else. However, in Jakarta, the only thing tha...
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have stayed at Gran Mahakam several times over the last 5 years, even when it was still part of the Sofitel group, and it is very consistently great.

The room are very classic and tasteful, the hotel is not big, so it has a boutique feel to it and I like that.

The breakfast is very good, but it is fairly crowded at times.

The hotel is located in Blok M and on previous visits, I found the area very seedy, but surprisingly on the latest visit, I found none of that. It seems the area has been cleaned up.

If you are working in the south part of Jakarta, I found the location here is very convenient and you don't need to battle the traffic jams in the city center. Although some traffic is unavoidable.

For eating options, you can go to Blok M plaza which is just in the next block and the basement has plenty of mid range restaurants.

There is also a money exchange on the 2nd floor which gives excellent rates.

Just a tip on coming to Jakarta. If you really need to exchange money at the airport, don't change money at the booths just after customs, they have very bad rates. Walk past those booths, exit the automatic door and turn left and re-enter the terminal, there's another money exchanger that gives superior rates, there are maybe more.

Back to Gran Mahakam, I really like this hotel and will be looking forward to coming back.

One negative is the rates, it seems it has gotten more expensive than other hotels in the same category over the years.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just a recommendation on getting to your destination in Jakarta. Should you travel by air, always try to arrive in Jakarta after 10pm and depart Jakarta on the first morning flight preferably before 9am flight. All these to prevent from being stuck in traffic for a horrendous period ranging from 2 hours to 4 hours depending on the time. Usually it will take approx. 25-40 mins to reach your destination within the Central Biz District of Jakarta. However, if you are unable to catch these flights and are prepared to get stuck in traffic, I suggest you upload movies on your smart devices to lessen your pain in the traffic jam! I further suggest, for comfort, pre-booked your taxi services with the Blue Bird Group transportation online and request for the Silver Bird car services - you pay a little bit more than the Blue Bird cars - the extra comfort is worth it if you are stuck in traffic.

My journey from the Jakarta international airport took me 3 hours to reach my hotel - The Gran Mahakam. Upon arrival, the porter services was excellent and the door person, yes, door person as it was all female, was a sight to behold! Bubbly, welcoming and eager to assist!

My check-in took quite a while, approx. 20 mins, and this was not acceptable. No reasons was given and I was too tired to argue. Red apples was served at the counter but be aware, I had a rotten one and not only the first one but the second and third. No quality control.

The room was clean, neat and tidy and had all I wanted except that WIFI is chargeable. I like the portable coat hangar that served my purposes as I was on a biz trip. Though the hotel is non-smoking, the smell of cigarette was strong almost everywhere including my room though I had requested a non-smoking room. Overall, it was a pleasant stay in my room throughout.

The check-out was yet another long process and took 25 mins approx. this time. The reason was the housekeeping needs to check whether you have consumed the mini bar provided when they have already asked. This is old school hotel standards and they need to go beyond that! Despite the check-in and out process, which was a drag, the experience staying at the Mahakam was good.

Did not have my meals in the hotel as there was ample eateries within walking distance of the hotel.

1  Thank Maxmaya
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is a boutique hotel with magnificent decor and is well maintained. We were there on business, it took a long journey to get there given the traffic. Finally after 8 hours of travelling, my colleagues and I arrived at the hotel at 3pm and needed to check in immediately as we had to head out for a meeting. While checking in, we were told our rooms were ready and if we wanted smoking or non-smoking. After 10 minutes, we were told one of our rooms were ready but is not available! I was confused and and at this point upset. What do you mean by is ready but is not available?

They couldn't give us a decent answer and it was getting rather frustrating. Instead of calming the situation down, Front office Manager Lenny A, just walked off and disappeared. We waited for additional 45 minutes and finally got our room at 3:45pm. Why have the policy of checking in time at 2pm when the policy are not use at this hotel? Check in time 2pm but we got our room at 3:45.

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and during our stay, internet connection was very poor. It was annoying to get disconnected all the time. We called up front desk again, they are very good at apologizing but when it comes to taking action, they are zero. To add on to our miserable stay, we were woken up at 5:30am from the noise coming from the room above us. It was as if someone was doing house-keeping and moving furniture around. On top of that, minor construction work started at 8am and around 9:30pm it was still going. we have made a total of 5 calls to front desk but was let down every time.

The only two great parts about this hotel are the staffs from the restaurant. This particular staff by the name of Februari (yes that's her name), her service was fantastic. She basically remembered what we had for the 4 days during breakfast. She attended to us well and it goes to show how she enjoys working and it was totally different from the staff at the front desk. Being in the hospitality industry for 20 years, if you can't give good service, you are in the wrong industry. Kudos to Februari! The other greatness of this hotel, is housekeeping. Our rooms were clean and tidy each time to perfection. Well done to the housekeeping team.

2  Thank Patiencegin