“Modern but plain, with good staff and nice amenities.”
Review of Alila Jakarta

Alila Jakarta
Ranked #33 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The Alila in Jakarta is a nice, modern looking hotel, but the trade-off is that it is a little on the plain side. It's not as ornate and beautiful as another hotel I also stayed at, but the staff is competent and as usual, friendly. It has a nice pool area, a gym, etc. (all the usual amenities). If you don't mind missing out on the ornateness of being in Southwest Asia, it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Andrew T, General Manager at Alila Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Randompath213,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with Alila Jakarta.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and our firendly staff made your stay comfortable during your travels away from home.

Should your travels bring to Jakarta once again, I look forward to welcoming you at Alila Jakarta.

Andrew Tan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

we stayed in the alila hotel for one night as starting point of our java tour. we cannot quote the whole list of amendities the hotel offers but our impression was very good. clean and modern hotel and rooms, friendly staff and good food. we can recommend the alila at least for a short stay. for longer visit, the area needs to be rated as well.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear swissmadetraveler,

I am greatly appreciative that you took the time to share your positive outlook during your very brief stay with Alila Jakarta.

Should your journeys bring you back to Jakarta once again, we look forward to welcoming you once again.

Safe and Happy journeys...

Reviewed 31 July 2013

July was my first experience of Jakarta. I was not particularly impressed with the city at the start of July and was not looking forward to returning three weeks later. However, thank goodness for Alila Jakarta. The Airport transfer was comfortable, efficient and friendly with bottles of water, crisps and wifi available on the move. The staff in the hotel were very attentive and always greeted me whenever they saw me. I had a luxury room with an impossibly large bed. The room had large picture windows with a panoramic city view. I always like city views even when the city isn't particularly photogenic (ie Jakarta). The room facilities were excellent - I especially liked the volcanic soap provided. Air con and sound protection were also excellent. The buffet breakfast was extensive and catered for Western tastes very well (I was desperate for some cereal so it was most welcome).
The pool on the 6th floor terrace was also very welcome after a day in the heat and pollution of the city. With a very attentive and friendly member of staff working the pool bar, I probably spent a bit longer there (and bought a few more drinks!)than I had planned to, but never mind.
Should I feel the need to be in Jakarta again, I would be happy to stay at Alila Jakarta. It's not usually the price range I would look for, but I would forego this as it provided a bit of peace and quiet and cleanliness I needed.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Halescouse
Andrew T, General Manager at Alila Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Halescouse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience regarding the products and services during your stay with us.

Personally and I very please to receive your positive feedback regarding your excellent experience and have shared this to my Team members who are pleased to have made a positive impression during your stay.

I do apologise that you were not impressed with Jakarta but do allow us an opportunity to change your feelings about the city on your next trip here.

Once again, Thank you for choosing Alila Jakarta and I look forward to welcome you personally.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

First up, the night reception for my check in was super efficient albeit totally without a greet, thank you, smile, whatever! She didn't bother to explain about breakfast or lift or anything. Aside from this one abrupt manner, the rest of the team for my 2 night stay was fantastic

I loved the nice surprise where room service came with free fresh juice!

Breakfast was average ... nice décor and all ... cooking was a letdown ... especially when you have an open kitchen and the man preparing the shredded chicken bits for the congee condiments was not using gloves, tearing the chicken and putting it into the condiment bowls and occasionally wiping his brow with the same hands!

Loved the spa soap they gave although it is odd that there is merely 1 piece to be shared between shower and wash basin?

Great location, great bed, great AC!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Andrew T, General Manager at Alila Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear elfin27,

I am truly appreciative that you took the time to share your experience and provide feedback regarding the staff, product and services.

I do apologise for your experience regarding the glitches which you have highlighted and they have been addressed promptly.

Thank you for choosing Alila Jakarta and I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you personally and to enhance your experience on your next visit to Jakarta.

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

We visited Alila for two nights at the end of June before we proceeded further into Java. We spent quite a bit of time in the hotel and really enjoyed the amenities, especially the spa, room service and club access floor.

The hotel feels a bit sterile and modern, which is great for business stopovers, but lacks the charm and romantic appeal for honeymooners or vacationers.

That being said, the room was immaculate. The bathroom with rain shower was awesome. The bed was comfortable. The room size was a bit small but a wall length couch/cushion/window seat covered one side of the room. The view was incredible (we were on the eighth floor).

We treated ourselves to couples spa treatments. My wife had a massage and I had a steam treatment (as I was under the weather) and short massage. This is probably the best spa experience we have had. The room was dark wood, extremely spacious, had a fantastic bath area and wonderful shower and restroom facilities. The music, surround sound and general ambiance was incredibly romantic. The only downside was that we couldn't have thirty minutes to ourselves in there afterward ;-). This being our first stop in Indonesia, we were quite surprised by the low prices as our treatments cost a total of USD 75.

The hotel has two restaraunts and a coffee shop with a room service menu that has items from all of them. We enjoyed the food quality and only had ended up doing room service for our meals (again as I was under the weather) but the restaraunts themselves looked very nice.

The club access lounge was a great resource for happy hour snacks and breakfast. We certainly recommend purchase of club access, although alcohol is an extra charge.

The pool area is several floors up on a roof section and is beautiful. The pool offers a snack area and views of surrounding Jakarta.

Overall, it's a great hotel especially if you're in town for business and want something clean, comfortable and with standard but high quality amenities located in the political center of town. For those who are in Jakarta to sight see, the hotel is not in walking distance of very much and the hotel has the sterile business-feel, which lacks the taste or "culture" of Jakarta.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank MushySuitcases

Dear MushySuitcases,

I am greatly appreciative to you for taking the time to share your positive experiences on the product and services during your brief stay with Alila Jakarta.

I look forward to sharing your positive feedback with the Team and to an opportunity to welcome you again on your next trip to Jakarta.

Thank you for choosing Alila during your stay in Jakarta.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Decided to spend a few days in Jakarta on my way back from Bali and chose the Alila largely based on price (less than US$100/night with breakfast and including taxes) vs. US$300+ at most of the 5 star hotels.

The hotel is great value for money and would recommend it for this if for nothing else. The room I stayed in (one of the higher floors) seemed to have been newly renovated and perfectly adequate while not being particularly plush. My biggest issue with the hotel is that it is in the middle of nowhere really and can take forever to get places given the traffic in Jakarta.

There was a good spread at breakfast, nothing special but not that bad either.

Would highly recommend the spa here. Had 4 hours of treatments for US$100 which was ridiculously good value for money.

Also suggest booking the hotel car for airport transfers. It is a little bit more expensive than a taxi but much more comfortable and with Wifi. It took 3 hours from the airport to the hotel in rush hour traffic so paying a little more for extra comfort and Internet is definitely a good option.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Andrew T, General Manager at Alila Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear samueloShanghai,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Spa and do apologize that you felt the room was adequate and the breakfast was nothing special but not that bad either.

As for the location, I believe our team members should have provided you with a list of the points of interest within close proximity of Alila. However, with Jakarta's infamous traffic congestion, even short distances can be time consuming and I do apologize for your inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing Alila Jakarta and I look forward to an opportunity to enhance your experience on your next visit to Jakarta.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Alila is a very minimalistic design (the way I like) big hotel (23 floors). I spent nine days here and enjoyed each one thanks to a serviceable staff always ready to help and a management very keen to make your stay very comfortable. Room service and room cleaning are very good and the floor staff is very friendly. I was there for business and the location is slightly out of the Central-South Jakarta, so I spent every day a few hours in the terrible Jakarta traffic. This minor glitch is amply offset by a very pleasant atmosphere and great service. I also found the restaurant of excellent quality and especially fish dishes very good. Overall excellent value for the money.
Will be back. Many thanks to mangers and staff!

Room Tip: Check for good wifi on each floor before taking a room.