“Living up to the reputation ...”

The Dharmawangsa Jakarta
Ranked #14 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 20 July 2012

After being bumped from another hotel (see separate review), I'm simply thrilled to spend the weekend at Dharmawangsa. Especially after having tried, and failed, a number of times over the years to get a reservation at this usually fully booked hotel, I can say that it is worth the wait!

Understated luxury and old school charm - simple yet elegant Javanese decor, spacious room and bathroom, a sense of tranquility permeated every corner of the hotel, and the sweet smell of jasmine instantly calms you down from the hustle and bustle of Jakarta outside

Impeccable service - all the staff are super friendly, seem to remember your name from the moment you arrive; butler service is discreet and efficient; love the fresh flower - a very nice touch

Breakfast has a lot of options, both western and indonesian. Didn't have time to check out the spa but a foot massage by the pool is a very relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Chocolate martini is a must try at the hotel bar.

Wish the hotel could offer the "green" option in terms of towel and sheets change etc. Luxury with a good conscience would be even better!

My only other complaint is the noisy neighbor with kids screaming in the hallway at 8am on Sunday morning! But that's clearly beyond the hotel's control, unless children under certain age are prohibited at luxury hotels (well, that's a different topic).

Overall, a wonderful, cultural experience. From now on, Dhamawangsa is easily my top choice of hotel in Jakarta. Looking forward to a longer stay next time ...

Room Tip: avoid rooms above the function wing where the most lavish weddings in Jakarta are routinely held her...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rinjani_Queen

Reviewed 17 July 2012

The Dharmawangsa Hotel Jakarta has long been renowned to be the best hotel of the capital, largely because it ables to differentiate amongst other five star establishments in the city, being a non-chained hotel with an unparalleled Indonesian hospitality on service, ambience, design, culinary to name a few.

I myself, have been on many occasions visited The Dharmawangsa, mostly for business meetings & have not been disappointed for once. I specifically love the aura of the hotel, fully indulging the guest with the feeling of being a Javanese royalty from the days of old with an alluring scent of fresh jasmine whenever you enter the lobby. Not to mention the premises always seemed to be tranquil no matter how high the occupancy rate is, making it a very personal & private place to do business, or leisure in the same manner.

I finally had the opportunity to taste the full extent of what the hotel has to offer few weeks ago when my parents decided to have a fine dining ball to celebrate my wedding. The event was held in the main ballroom with seated table arrangements & special 5 course menu created specially by the head chef Mr.Vindex. To my disappointment & very much my parents, the foods were below par compared to the ones made during the food testing session, most notably the steak that was so overcooked, it tasted like 'empal' (a traditional indonesian fried beef). We were pretty embarrassed by the incident, with somewhat scant comments made by our guests. The next morning we found out that the chef went on early leave that evening due to personal matters & left the food preparation to his staff, who clearly didn't live up to the chef's & our expectation.

However, the real nightmare came after the ball, when we all got back to our rooms, presumably wanting to enjoy the gracefully designed room. Apparently, that evening, there were two events being held in the hotel function hall, one was ours, the other one was also a wedding party, but on a full scale reception event with an after party session involving dance floor & DJ's play. In my experiences attending party on many hotels, they tend to limit the party with any loud music until around 10pm, especially when the venue is in close proximity to the guest rooms. Surprisingly, the hotel placed my room just above the party venue & the feeling is as if you're inside a discotheque. My father in law who just recovered from a serious illness even decided not to stay at the hotel that evening because he couldn't stand the noise. It was extremely loud, the thick floors & glass window doors did little to prevent the sound coming in. I waited till around 10.45pm when I decided to call in asking for explanation whether the party's going to stop. The reception said they're going to check with the floor manager responsible for the party. 15 minutes gone & it didn't stop, I called again, this time answered by another staff, saying they're going to see what they can do to stop the music. 11.15pm, the DJ, who seemed to be on full steroids, pumped up the beat even more like there's no tomorrow, even the floor shake when you walk around the room. Called in again saying this time I will have no more patience & will take action my self if the music doesn't stop soon. Finally, at 11.42pm, the music ceased. It took me more than one complaint calls & several of my family members to leave the hotels for the music to stop. I have nothing against the people partying downstairs & blamed the hotel for placing our room above the party venue as well as not putting the comfort of their guests. They could've put us on the other hotel wing where the sound wouldn't reached the rooms or put a limit to the party knowing well that there are guest trying to sleep above them. Seriously, what kind of five star hotel treats their guest, who paid so much for a 150 pax fine dining ball event & booked four superior as well as suite rooms does this kind of service? So much for the privacy excellence I received each time I visit the hotel on previous occasions.

Complaints were filed the following day, apologies offered as well as compensation to an extent. But the flaw somehow didn't stop there, hours after we checked out, we got a call from the hotel saying that there were bills yet to be paid whereas we already settled everything. After few cross checking, it turned out the front desk staff who called us didn't confirmed with the morning staff regarding our departure & condition, concluding our unsavory experience with the hotel.

Aside from the downside, I did relish the usual savory matters like the wonderful suite rooms with spacious bathrooms & plenty of vanity interiors & the famous sunday brunch at the Jakarta coffee shop with its abundance of buffet selection. Overall, The Dharmawangsa is a very top notch hotel, the creme de la creme of five star hotels in Jakarta, but then again, maybe we got into one of those occasions where everything went wrong. To my knowledge, there should be no excuse for this anyway, the comfort & well being of the guest should be number one priority.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Abu A
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I had read in Lonely Planet that the Dharmawangsa was considered at one time, and still by many, to be the best hotel in Jakarta. This represented the second time I had stayed and both times I was happy to be there. The hotel is old school in more than one way. Firstly, the facility was built in the 1950s but seems archetecturally like an older style. Nonetheless, it was still very elegantlt maintained. I was met at the door by the front desk staff and some basic information taken. I was then escorted to my room and the rest of the check in was done there by one of the front lobby personnel. The room was wonderful with a comfortable bed and a huge bathroom nicer than mine at home. The facilities, including internet, were all in good working order. The staff fell all over themselves making sure all was to my satisfaction. The coolest thing was the personal butler. Whenever anything was needed, I could call and the butler would see to it. The fitness center was very nice and quite complete with equipment. The breakfast buffet was terrific. The room rates are not bad for what you get. In all, I would highly recommend this hotel as not only a nice place to stay but one that will add to your experience in Indonesia.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We switched to this place as recommended by a non local loving in Jakarta. Service is slow but good however house keeping was so much better than other 5star american chain hotel we moved from. You can't imagine when they throw away your toothbrush or toothpaste and didn't replace them. Returning back late or waking up early and finding all these gone just completely spoils the day or worst took the towels and didn't replace any.
Pool is very nice but watch out for mozzies. Remember to put on plenty of anti-mosquito repellent if you want to relax by the beautiful pool.
The noise from the new apartment block spoils the setting of the poolside however it is near completion. Food for breakfast was so-so maybe due to the low occupancy rate when we were there. If you are house hunting for a place in south Jakarta, it is in a good location to avoid traffic jam. For business travelers, this location is not bad for traveling into golden triangle.

Room Tip: You need to ask for rooms facing the pool. Rooms facing the front of the hotel is exposed to consta...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynn T
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The ambience of Indonesian culture was strongly reflected in every corner. Its building is very well maintained, and the staffs has created such a homy aura. The most perfect one is the silence & tranquility of the entire sites

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank TripLover888888
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stay here if you don't like sleep! Crazy loud weddings at the adjoining facility means on a weekend you will hear the PA from 6am until midnight. Throw a few mosquitoes in the room into the mix and you're going to work on Monday a wreck.
This once great hotel has prioritised functions over guests and should be overlooked unless you are going to that wedding.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank ChamUk
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The friends we were visiting in Jakarta recommended that before we left we just had to have a meal at the Dharmawangsa. We started the evening with speciality Chocolate martini's, produced with flair at our table. They were delicious, a taste I hadn't enjoyed before and all the more surprising by being clear rather than the expected brown colour. The meal that followed was excellent in every department, service food and wines, from extensive choices on the respective menus. A little more expensive than I was expecting perhaps, but it is a top class restaurant, so perhaps I should have expected this.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends