“Business with Pleasure” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 454 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Business with Pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

A treat in the madness of the great city that Jakarta is. Retains its old charm yet feels modern and coupled with the exceptional ShangraLa service they really do make you feel at home. I love staying here when in Jakarta, one of the hotels on our corporate travel list that gets me excited about my business trip. The rooms are lovely, and the satay in the restaurant is amazing....try it!

1 Thank PeteSing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Everytime I want to make a dining reservation, I have to call 3-5 times for someone to answer, and not in very well manner as 5 stars standard. By the time we reached satoo resto, we requested a baby chair. The lady said she will get one and 15 minutes later I was still standing carrying my baby. And only the 3rd waiter came to get us the baby chair. No one has offered the drink menu. The most ridiculous is children above 2 years old pay for a buffet! It does not happen in
any other restaurant.
As for the kids playground, dirty ... Sorry to say, the toys seem they got it from charity, never been washed. Everything are just dirty, no one seems to care to clean or wipe the toys or jumping balloon. The only clean thing in the kids area is the pony horse, the only person smile is the guy holding the pony. The rest of the staffs needs to be trained properly.

It's a shame for 5 stars hotel with 0 star manner

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chloe_cleopatra
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Chole_cleopatra,

First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for your patronage at the Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta and for taking your precious time to share your feedback. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you encountered with our dining reservation and during your recent visit to SATOO and the Kids Zone. The service shortfall and inconvenience caused are sincerely regretted.

May I request that you contact me at juergen.doerr@shangri-la.com so that I can have the opportunity to discuss the issues further with you.

Juergen Doerr
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

From the moment I stepped off the aircraft, my "Shangri La" experience began. The airport staff were outstanding - addressing me by name and walking me to my waiting car. The friendly driver also welcomed me like an old friend.

As we approached the security check at the hotel gate, I was surprised that even the guards addressed me by my name and welcomed me to the property (as they checked the vehicle). This was pretty cool!

Check in was done in my suite and the staff were super personable and warm. It goes without saying that my travel companion was most impressed by the VVIP treatment I received. I'm away from home and my family a lot, so it's refreshing to visit this amazing property because you are treated as family. Always!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've stayed here on business a couple of times and really enjoyed my stay each time. The room was clean and comfortable. The wifi was good and fast. The service excellent. The breakfast buffet was great, with a lot of variety. Nothing quite like having an omelet alongside Indian and Indonesian entrees for breakfast!

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Since the hotel has received rave reviews, and I pretty much agree with the authors, let me start by saying what I did not like about the hotel.

The only one real downside to the hotel is that there are no restaurants or shops near the hotel. So if you want to take a stroll outside and experience some different kind of food, you can't do it. To go anywhere, you have to take a taxi !!

Their valet service has been outsourced to the Blue Bird Taxi group. This is the most reliable taxi service in Jakarta. But their quality of service is not close to Shangri-la quality. I saw some guests arguing with the blue bird staff. I once had a problem where I wanted a blue bird taxi and all they had was silver birds (which are their luxury taxis). So their staff called for a blue bird which arrived promptly. At the end of the ride when I asked for a receipt, first the guy said since his taxi was called, I had to pay a minimum of 40K IDR (as against the meter reading of approx 20K IDR), and secondly he said he could not give me a bill. I paid and later I complained at the Shangri-la blue bird counter. They apologized and gave me a bill. You can say it is not a Shangri-la problem, but if Shangri-la is outsourcing a service, I would say this is a Shangri-la image issue. But overall, the service is good, but as I said, not as good as Shangri-la service.

The good things. Pretty much everything. Very helpful and friendly staff. Awesome breakfast buffet. Good in-room dining. A tad expensive, but not surprising given the quality of the hotel. The extras which I did not expect: they have an ATM. I have been to many 5 stars but have not had this luxury. They serve a complimentary platter of fresh fruit daily, including some local fruits. Very good stuff. Laundry is expensive, but they return the clothes in a beautiful cane basket. So nice !! Their bar BATS is ok. The music is not great,just ok. But it saves you the trouble of having to go out for a drink if you are tired and not in the mood for it. Last but the most important to me. I had left my debit card at the ATM machine. When I returned to the hotel late in the night and was checking my email, I saw an email from the hotel. One of their staff had found my card and had left it with the reception. Made my day.

Except for the lack of restaurants in the vicinity, its one of the best, if not the best hotel I have been to.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Good!
Breakfast very nice.good variety and coffee is drinkable.
Service good and not to much.
Wifi complimentary and fast.
Cars available. I recommend Silverbirds-cheaper than hotelcar. 12 hours about 1 Mio Rupiah.
Pretty central to most locations.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reggio emilia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

A true 5 star hotel. The service was first class at every point, from arrival to departure. The hotel is centrally located, close to major malls and restaurants. It has also a really good bar which turned into a nightclub. Rooms are spacious, clean and well-maintained with a good Wi-Fi. Would stay at this hotel again next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo