“An excellent international hotel with delightful staff”
Review of Gran Melia Jakarta

Gran Melia Jakarta
Ranked #19 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Norwich, United Kingdom
“An excellent international hotel with delightful staff”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This hotel appears at first sight to be cavernous and typically anonymous and international. This is not so; all the staff make a huge effort to engage and manage to call you by name from day 1. I stayed for 15 days and was upgraded to the Red floor (14). This had a large lounge staffed by a team who went out of their way to make my stay easier. There was always a cup of coffee available, a glass of wine appeared in the evening, they found me a charger for my phone and changed my car to the airport. More than that, they seemed to be genuinely interested in my day. Sadly I couldn't oblige with discussion on the merits of UK football teams or the royal family but I appreciated the effort they made. Likewise when I obviously wanted to work they left me in peace.

The breakfast buffet was one of the most comprehensive I have experienced as was the dinner. Sunday brunch was reported by my colleagues as excellent. The location is not great but taxis are so cheap its not hard to go out to eat/ go shopping etc.

Room Tip: If you can be allocated to Floor 14 it is well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Madam,

What can we say apart from “Thank you”. Your comments about our room, breakfast, internet, and especially our Red Level team are noted, appreciated and are most helpful. Assuring you of our commitment to raise standards further for the benefit of all our valued guests.

With kindest regards and sincere thanks,

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've stayed in this hotel three times over the last few months, and on every visit I had a great stay. The hotel's location is prime and most taxi drivers know the hotel. The reception staff are very pleasant and my check-in was super quick every time. The rooms were incredibly spacious and maintained very well. The shower area and WC were quite spacious as well. The bedding was super comfortable and the room felt like a true 5-star room. Their wi-fi speed is real good. Because I was on a business trip, this was essential for me. In Jakarta, internet connectivity isn't something you can take for granted and I was quite impressed with their internet speed.

A special mention needs to be given for the food. Knowing, that I'm an Indian, the staff went beyond their call of duty to prepare hot Indian meals even though it was way past 11 (when they officially stop taking order for Indian food). Kudos to all the chefs and the hotel. What was even more amazing was the generous spread of Indian food in the breakfast buffet. The food tasted very good.

Even though I visited the hotel on business, I'd recommend this place for everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your kind and generous review which is even more gratifying as I see on Trip Advisor this has scored a property five out of five.

We are delighted that you found the hotel service convenient and efficient. And thank you for your appreciations to the staff especially the kitchen staffs of Indian food in Café Gran Via

The teams here appreciate the encouraging words and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Jakarta soon.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I only occasionally come to Jakarta for business so I cannot comment on how this hotel would be for families or how this compares with many of the other hotels in the area, however, it was far nicer than the previous placed I stayed so I welcomed the change and I did notice that there was quite a number of western families staying here over the New Year period. All seemed to be enjoying themselves! First thing I noticed was that despite arriving earlier than planned, we were checked into our rooms early with no hassles. This began what was an excellent customer service experience. The standard of the rooms was excellent - my room was classed as a junior suite and had modern fittings and décor including a formal dining area (which got used as the work table). The air conditioning was sometimes hard to get exactly right (was a little on the cold side). The architecture of the place (especially what I guess you'd call the foyer area) had lots of quirky little touches and lighting effects at night out in the corridors and public areas. My room had a view out to the city which was lovely at night with no noise from the world outside either which was welcomed. Business facilities were excellent - I had no problems with decent internet connection and when asked, I got some great front of house support to help me get some printing done for work. Rooms were serviced daily with little touches of luxury with the toiletries (which to be honest I don't normally notice but did on this occasion). I had breakfast a couple of times in the Gran Va buffet restaurant and it was first class (and busy) with a wide variety of goodies for both Western and local tastes (needless to say that if you wanted your bacon and eggs, there was more than a few ways to treat yourself) and again, service in the restaurant was first class. Would love to come back and take a dip in the lagoon pool!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

What can we say apart from “Thank you”. Your comments about our room, breakfast, and internet are noted, appreciated and are most helpful. Assuring you of our commitment to raise standards further for the benefit of all our valued guests.

With kindest regards and sincere thanks,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Even though this hotel seems like has been around for quite some time, the management has successfully renovated its property in general.
Room is excellent and very cozy equipped with wood ornament around. There is a nice sofa by the window which has a very nice curtain overlooking the main street and some skyscrapers around the area. The bathroom is clearly one of the best feature of the hotel equipped with a nice bathtub, shower area and a see through windows overlooking the bed.
The pool though, is undergoing a major renovation. I guess it would be a great one when it is finished.
The unique ceiling on the lobby is also a plus point of this property.
Overall, this is a great hotel to stay while in Jakarta.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for posting your enthusiastic recommendation of the newly rejuvenated and completely refurbished Gran Melia Jakarta.

Your generous words will be warmly received by the team at Gran Melia Jakarta. Looking forward to sharing more of our service improvements, the teams appreciate it and join me every day in our commitment to raise standards further.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks and very best wishes,

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel, the architecture of the hotel is very unique. Some very nice restaurants and lounges, nice and close to many amenities. The pool needs a bit of refurbishing, but we were there during the rainy season so I may be being a bit unfair. The spa service was really nice.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to posting your excellent experience at Gran Melia Jakarta. We are so glad that you find the accommodation, restaurants, and spa were up to your expectations. Assuring you that the teams here intend to keep it that way and improve further on a daily basis

Be assured that our team will work tirelessly in the hope that we may have the opportunity to leave you with memories next time you stay.

With that in mind, I remain.

indonesia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had stayed at this hotel over new year and were not that happy with room on red level lounge.
my son was having his bubble time on the bath time, and surprisingly we found mud leaking within the water.
i was so furious and complain to the red level manager. Ms Irma apologized to me many times and she offered me to move to grand premium room.
The room was ok, but the toilet was a bit dirty and 'old fashioned'
In terms of breakfast, thumbs up. We're quite delighted. I reckon the rooms overall need to be improved, and double checked before guest enter the premises.
The staff at Red Level Lounge are always helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to ask for HR Rasuna Said view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bapak Aldyrianto,

Warm greetings from Gran Melia Jakarta!

First and foremost, on behalf of our hotel I would like thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Gran Melia Jakarta.
Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused due to mud leaking in the bathtub. I truly understand the unpleasant experience on your recent visit and it had changed your whole impression about our hotel, Please accept my sincere apology in regards of this matter. I have personally addressed this issue to related department to improve our excellent service. Your valuable comment in regards of toilet in the room has been well warmly received and we appreciated for bringing this issue to our attention so we know which areas of improvement that we need to rectify. Our aim at all times to continually providing a service to our guests which is second to none.
Thank you for your valuable feedbacks and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with Gran Melia Jakarta.

Yours faithfully,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 24 December 2013

It's a beautiful hotel. Nice and plasentstay as always. This is my second trip in your esteemed hotel. You have great restaurent where we are getting every all type of food. Keep it up. Again Mr Mohan Sing Chef is excellent. He always take care of the guest always smill . Give respect to all of us. He is having great quality. All other staff also work ell.

Kind Regards
Sunil Raghav

Room Tip: I think all rooms are good BUT I prefer road side veiw like room 1234 where I stayed Please make my...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Mr. Raghav,

Thank you for your positive review during your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Gran Melia hospitality and restaurants especially our Indian food at Cafe Gran Via. Your generous words will be warmly received by Chef Mohan Singh and his team at Gran Melia Jakarta.

We also take a note in regards of your request for room blocking, however it will be based on rooms availability during your arrival. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Yours sincerely,