“Great stay at Gran Melia Jakarta”
Review of Gran Melia Jakarta

Gran Melia Jakarta
Ranked #20 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Recommend to everyone.

Upscale and pristine room.

Breakfast and dinner buffet excellent.

No issue adjusting room temp.

Pool itself clean and clear but surroundings needed some cleaning and renovation.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Mr. James,
We're so glad to hear you were happy with our facilities and our service. Thank you for reviewing us and we hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Gran Melia Jakarta

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Let me say - WOW - what a hotel - great! Close to the malls and everything - enjoyed it.

Second day - got stopped at the breakfast buffet as didn't have sleeves on my shirt - is hot there so don't wear those - had to get one to get served - fair enough!

Each day - is a mosque right down from our sixth floor window - chanting etc - noisy for sure - think like 4:30am and 4:30 pm and not sure on other times BUT lots of times woke me up. I get its part of the heritage there - but its like its in their courtyard or else right beside - just not sure where etc but its loud - speaker system etc.

Each Day - Jazz music outside our door down by lobby - from like 5pm maybe to 8 or 9pm - noisy and not my thing - didn't see many people down there when finally looked to see what is up. Again - our room faxed the area where they played so if you had a room not there then would be better!

I have to mention - I work North American hours when travel - so I'm up until midnight and need to sleep and nap etc so the times of the chanting and the music was just not my thing.

The Food - just way wow! Expensive BUT I had free breakfast with my room rate so was good - other than that - $8 USD for a coffee or Juice and then Clubhouse and Steak sandwich - 2 juices and a side Caesar salad - mmm - $80 USD hahaha - come on! They had a buffett I think would of cost the same BUT is PLUS PLUS there so is surcharge and then taxes etc so not sure - $60 becomes $80 very quick!

Check in - showed up at 2pm - no room ready unless I wanted a smoking room - who wants a smoking room if asked for non smoking - had to wait an hour - weird - didn't' expect that - check in is at 2pm - should be ready right????

Oh and then each night at 7:30pm some cleaning guy door bells me - I ignore - tries to use his key to get in - wants to prep my bed and close my drapes for my sleep - hahah - like what - no thanks! Maybe if you can tell the jazz singers to beat it and the chanting to be taken off the outdoor speaker system - that I would like!

Big Tip - is a star bucks across the street beside in a office building there - get a $4 tuna sandwich and enjoy!

Not sure I would stay there again BUT its because of my having to work nights etc - the staff was great - was close to everything etc.

Room Tip: Away from the music and the chanting if you can find one.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Mr. Dean,

First and foremost, on behalf of our hotel I would like thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review in regards of your recent visit to Gran Melia Jakarta.

We had noted your concerns in regards of noisy sound of music from lobby and update the remarks on our database so that we will anticipate this issue by assigning your room facing the quiet side. Please accept my sincere apology in regards of this matter and I have personally addressed this issue to related department to improve our excellent service. We are also taking your concern about the food and beverages price. Thank you for your valuable feedbacks and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with Gran Melia Jakarta

Mr. Dean, once again please allow me to express my sincere apology and I look forward to welcoming you back at Gran Melia Jakarta.

With that in mind, I remain, at your service

Best Regards,

Manuel Quiros,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with my first stay this time around at this hotel. Its not in one of the central locations, but is not far far away from many major locations of Jakarta. The rooms are clean, well laid out, with good air conditioning.

Two reasons I liked this place is that they do not have hefty additional charges on many services, and some are just the same price, with no extra surcharges.

Second reason, the meals at this place are very good, and offers option for many tastes. This makes up for me a very interesting option to stay in this place. Saves a lot of time to not hunt around for food, esp when its a biz trip in this town.

There are a couple of options on bars in the hotel, not recommended if one is looking for crowds.

I will stay for the next time here to do more in and around here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your kind and generous review. We are delighted that you found the hotel service convenient and efficient also the fact that you enjoyed our restaurants. The teams here appreciate the encouraging words and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Jakarta soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

A well equipped hotel with spacious and very comfortable rooms, friendly and professional staff, excellent food, nice spaces for meetings and conferences. I was totally satisfied with all the services and I would definitely recommend Gran Melia if you are in Jakarta for a business trip.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your kind message endorsing Gran Melia Jakarta as “Excellent for business trip”. That was most considerate and very kind. It would seem that our mission was accomplished with regards to your stay.

Assuring you that the team here intends to keep it that way and improve further on a daily basis and it will always be your second home. We look forward to exceeding your expectations next time we may have the pleasure of your company

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I don't confuse cheap for value. This hotel is not cheap, but it is not expensive either and it has to be the friendliest 5 star 'grand' hotel I've been to. Sometimes there can be a pompous air in these large city hotels but not so with the Grand Melia where the staff are well trained but also genuinely happy to endlessly greet and offer assistance with a smile and a charming, humble semi-bow. And I mean all staff - security, housekeeping, as well as the front office and service staff.
We never got the feeling of being an open wallet, which encouraged us to book the airport transfers both ways with the hotel, we upgraded to Red Level, we ate there a la carte and shopped in the boutiques as a consequence. We were genuinely happy to spend extra in the hotel as each service was properly priced and well executed which is not the norm in my previous 5 star experience.
We recommend fully upgrading to the Red Level as the people look after you fantastically, and if you take a few drinks of an evening then you easily offset the cost (there's that value again). Special mention and thanks to Lipi and Imam in the Red lounge who were confident enough to show us their true personalities and bring a real human service to us while remaining truly professional and attentive.
The rooms were spacious, well fitted, modern and the bed was superbly comfortable. Everything worked. The WiFi was fast everywhere. The breakfast buffet was amazing when we chose to use the main buffet instead of the Red lounge, I have never seen a spread like that. The other snacks and meals were also great.
Complaints? Not really no. The pool area was a little unloved and often unstaffed but then it hardly gets used by most of the clientele there I guess. We enjoyed the peace and quiet, but it could do with a clean and sort. That's not a complaint though, it's a comment, and the overall feeling I have as I leave this wonderful hotel is 'I wish I could stay'. Thanks and see you again next time I'm in Indonesia.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. Luke,

We thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience regarding your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Gran Melia hospitality especially the Red Level. Your generous words will be warmly received by Imam and Lipi at Gran Melia Jakarta.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We may have a bias by the fact that we spent 10 days at an Eco Resort before checking into the Gran Melia but the experience was fantastic. The entire property is well kept and truly feels 5 star (no, not only in contrast to our eco resort...it can stand on its own against other 5 star properties).

The main lobby has ceiling that must be hundreds of feet high...almost palacial. Decor feels Indonesian/indian with some really interesting touches throughout.

Rooms were everything you'd expect in a luxury hotel and with enough unique charm to make it memorable. Shower and jacuzzi tub were very high end and bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast/lunch buffet was perhaps the most well appointed buffet I have ever seen. It had literally EVERYTHING from fresh smoothies to french toast to dim sum, mexican churros, nuts, every immaginable bread variety, home made ice cream, an egg station, pancakes...the list goes on.

The only knock against this property is that it isn't walking distance from anything and is not connected to malls/shopping as many other hotels are. Means you need to take cabs everywhere but that was never a problem as the concierge was always helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Sir,

What can we say apart from “Thank you”. Your comments about our renovated rooms and buffet restaurant are noted, appreciated and are most helpful. Assuring you of our commitment to raise standards further for the benefit of all our valued guests.

With kindest regards and sincere thanks,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The staff were friendly and very attentive. The rooms were spacious and the bed was comfortable. The food in the restaurants was great, with a wide choice. They need to improve on their room servising

Thank Abongile Advent... S