“US15/day internet charge? No WiFi? Avoid.”

Hotel Borobudur Jakarta
Ranked #24 of 459 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta, Indonesia
“US15/day internet charge? No WiFi? Avoid.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel has an exceedingly poor approach to an essential service. Deserves avoiding until free wifi is provided.

I was astounded and shocked to be told that internet is only through cables in the room (are laptops still made with cable connectors any more?), at a charge of US15 per day. Wifi in the lobby lobby, also at a charge of US15 per day. This is the sixth hotel I've stayed at in Jakarta, and all provide free open internet service.

I suspect this reflects the general management approach - every move one makes is logged as a transaction. The room fridge is locked until a credit card deposit is paid. One signs a bill before entering the breakfast. room, etc., etc. It's really not relaxing at all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ricgoodman
GM H, General Manager at Hotel Borobudur Jakarta, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay in Hotel Borobudur Jakarta.

It is unfortunately true that certain room categories do not provide internet free of charge. This has been a requirement from some travel agencies for many years, as otherwise the room rate charged would appear too expensive ( Internet in Indonesia is very expensive ).

Higher room categories doe have internet included free of charge, and with Wi Fi.

That being said, as of next year, Hotel Borobudur Jakarta will have Wi Fi in all guest rooms, free of charge. Obviously the room rate will reflect this.

As to credit card guarantee, I believe this is common practice.

Once again, thank you for your comments,. We look forward to welcoming you in the new year, when internet is indeed free of charge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Great value considering many parts of the hotels - the corridors and the rooms - were recently refurnished, the huge area includes big swimming pool, tennis courts, jogging tracks, and all, and not a single restaurant there ever failed me. The Sop Buntut is legendary, the Miyama serves excellent tepanyaki, the Bruschetta is traditionally delicious, the Teratai Chinese restaurant is a favorite, and I love having me-time in Churchill Bar.

Location is not too far off the provincial streets. Easy access to Jl. MH Thamrin (then Jl. Jend. Sudirman), Jl. Gunung Sahari to Mangga Dua area (if you happen to have business there), and sites like Istiglal Mosque, The Cathedral, and the Church of Immanuel. Stroll the Passer Baroe market, catch a show in Gedung Kesenian Jakarta, or take a walk to the famous Lapangan Banteng.

This is a very old, and rather old-fashioned hotel. It is not the most luxurious one in the city, but it serves right for my staycation with friends. Service is just right because I'd count my complaints as nitpicks. Nevertheless, to wake up in the morning in the middle of Jakarta and hear birds chirping (I'm not romanticizing! There really were birds chirping!), and jog around a spacious gardens with so many different flowers and trees … that's definitely no other hotels in Jakarta can offer.

Room Tip: Any room facing the garden.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

On my first vist to Jakarta this was a wonderful place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the usual Jakarta traffic.

I stayed in a club room on the top floors of the hotel with a club lounge which includes a free bar and snacks (I think every Thursday evening). The "club" had an express check in which seemed to involve 4 very pretty girls who got everythiong confused and managed to send all of us to the wrong rooms (some of my party were smokers and got non smoking rooms, I'm not and got a smoking room) By the time this was all sorted out "express check in" for 4 had taken 45 minutes.

Having said that the staff are charming, the restaurants OK (but not great) with the exception of the club breakfast room (I like a breakfast omlette, I like it even better when it is served to your table) which was excellent.

My main problem was the lack of WiFi. Nowadays it is essential to business travel and a self styled 5 star international hotel should provide it as part of the package, not as a means of extracting more from the guest's wallet

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Merlinthemage
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed there for 2 nights for my wedding last at the end of sept 2013. the rooms were quite clean, cozy, and comfortable enough. the hotel also has good location in the central jakarta.
As i had to woke up early for the make up session, i asked the front office if they can help us for early, take-away breakfast only for one person. The existing take away breakfast is a package of bread, fruit and mineral water. Because I have to eat rice each morning, i asked the front office to help me providing that kind of meals. It is OK if they serve it on 6 am as i knew that the regular-dine in breakfast start at 6 a.m. But they said they could not fulfill it because the take away breakfast does not have rice in their package. I begged them to try, as that is my big day. But their decision did not change.
Then I and my husband go to the restaurant, explaining once again our condition and asking for their help. Once again, they refused to give us rice, any kind of rice.
I don't understand why the staff very stubborn and did not show any efforts to help their guests. If you are a small hotel, i will understand. But this is Borobudur Hotels. As i know, hospitality business rely on the service quality that highly affected by the people.
Very disappointing services, and i have no plan to stay at this hotel anymore.
Also there are several rooms which the air conditioner did not work well. We set the 25 C since afternoon but the rooms were very cold and i thought the actual temperature was 16 C

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank natanoel
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

I was obviously appealed by the incident surrounding providing rice in a take-away-box, and I have asked the F&B management to investigate accordingly.

In principle we can provide anything to take away. Our famous Sop Buntut is taken away 30 to 40 times every day, and we have the appropriate containers for both hot food as well as, small and large cakes.

Currently, I am not aware of the circumstances surrounding this incident, but I can assure you I will get to the bottom of this.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is the first time i sleep in this hotel although my company used this hotel for several times like gathering, annual meeting ect. I stayed in level 14 floor, that is already renoved.
The room have a modern and arts style, but dont have bathtub, the bed size is queen size not king size as ussual 5 star hotel used.
One of my regret this hotel not provide free WIFI in all hotel location, we must pay for internet service whereas internet already have been one of primary needs especially when we stayed in hotel.
Hotel borobudur have a biggest swimming pool that i have seen in jakarta hotels, it makes me satisfied when used it.
One of my biggest concern, the parking area is very spacious but in open space, they dont have parking building. Maybe it will be a problem in the rainy days. Hope management can build a parking building

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Se_Chiang
福岡
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is a big and luxurious hotel. I stayed there for a few days to attend a conference and spent most of the time inside the hotel. I had been a bit worried as I would be confined to the hotel, but it turned out a very enjoyable trip.
Everything you need is in the hotel: good restaurants, shops and so on, Very impressive were its recreation facilities: a swimming pool, a jogging track (700-meter), tennis courts, squash courts, basketball courts, table tennis, a gym etc. I was never be bored. Breakfast was excellent, so many choices out of international and local cuisines. Security check is at the entrance and most of the staff members speak at least some English and they are friendly.
This is a very good hotel and I will be back for sure the next time I come to Jakarta.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 福岡Ek
kuala lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Nowadays, internet access is expected in any hotel of this standard.Alas, this hotel looks at wifi as a source of income rather than as a service to guests. The stingiest hotel I've been to provided free wifi for half an hour every twenty four hours, but this one does not provide at all!
Other than that, I have very little to complain. In fact the staff are excellent and facilities above par. One thing that I must bring up though: the mirror in the toilet is not in front of you but on the left. The front instead is a foldable louvred window. If I happen to meet the architect who designed it, I would want to suggest to him to use one of the room toilets and shave with his face turned to the left and not to the front..
My wife told me that it would help if the guests be informed of ALL the facilities available, including those provided by the tenants, such as the hair salon..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business