“Sultan Hotel - and Going Underground in Jakarta”

The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta
Ranked #74 of 469 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I traveled to Jakarta in AUG13 in order to see the Pet Shop Boys at the Jakarta Convention Centre (JCC). I traveled with a friend and colleague.

Frankly if you are doing something at the JCC then the Sultan Hotel is an EXCELLENT option.

Jakarta does not lend itself in any way to casual strolls and getting from place to place can be a time consuming headache.

The Sultan Hotel which was clearly, at one time the centre piece for accommodation in Jakarta, is connected to the JCC by a dazzling system of underground walkways.

These underground walkways are an attraction in themselves. Glitzy, marbled and with photos of all the who's who from decades past.

The underground walkway brings you right to the entrance of the Plenary Hall at the JCC. Very handy.

Ok, to the hotel itself. To get the best out of the Sultan you need to accept that this place is a show-piece of the past. This can be fun. Like Bandung being a vestige of an art-deco past.

The Sultan is in actual fact three monumental sections.

One section has been gutted and will not be "finished" any time soon.

A second section appears to offer standard rooms.

A final section offers "better" rooms.

My colleague had a standard room, I had a "better" room.

The rooms are of the past but NOT uncomfortable. The bathrooms are huge, ornate and there are walk-in showers.

All in all I was comfortable and the work area was large, and had lots of access to natural light and looked out over the gardens and pool - quite pleasant.

The appearance and "comfortable" factor are big issues for me and the room passed these tests. The air-con worked well and I could exist well enough inside my usual "freeze".

Staff were all super helpful, friendly and courteous. No problems here at all.

Food in all venues is average. It's not bad, but it's not winning prizes anytime soon.However I did like the satays.

The lobby bar is comfortable and a pleasant enough place to hang out and have a drink.

However, the pool are gym are VERY good.

The pool is 33m so very well suited to lap swimming and the gym very very well equipped. Sports and keeping fit are VERY important on my agenda while traveling.

The Sultan Hotel is built in an extremely large compound which would have kept the city of the 70's and 80's at bay from its guests. The compound is in disrepair in some areas. But not uninteresting.

Top tip: There is an excellent Japanese Restaurant in the Sultan Hotel compound grounds. My colleague took me there for my birthday. The food was excellent.

Would I stay there again? Yes. The Sultan is quirky and if you "get" the place you will enjoy it.

The Pet Shop Boys were great.

Room Tip: If you have any business at the JCC - then this IS the place.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michael J
SultanJakarta10002, General Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Mr. Michael J,

Thank you for your valuable time to share your comment during the time you stay at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta,

We are honored and appreciate your comments as you provide us a special review in details.
Your valuable comments will help us in our constant endeavor to offer the finest level of hospitality to our guest.

We will share your comment with our team in order to improve and provide better service for your future experience.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my wife on a business trip, the hotel service is quite ok but everything else are quite average! Not much food options in the hotel due to rennovation, and the rooms are old and kettle was actually quite dirty!

However, if you are in Jakarta for a convention at the JCC then this is the hotel for you as you would really want to avoid the infamous Jakarta traffic.

1  Thank chungyumak
SultanJakarta10002, General Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Chungyumak,

Thank you for the time you have taken to share a comment during the time you stay at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta,

We are delighted to take your feedback and will share this as our necessary improvement to our management and staff. we believe that your feedback will encourage us to serve you better in the future.

For your information, The hotel is in stage to refurbishing the facilities and service. We hope that you are able to experience the room, view, and other facilities in future. Your feedback will obviously t helps us to improve and provide a better experience for you in the future.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here on business. Very welcoming and attentive staff. A comfortable room and overall a pleasant stay. Good fitness centre too. There is a bar but quite frankly it is awful. Over amplified music which deafens you. About six people in there and they want to do karaoke too. Food in the main restaurant is mediocre. There was an international week on where you could sample the delights of the cuisine of Switzerland - no offence to Swiss readers but come on!! My recommendation would be to eat in the excellent Chinese restaurant or try the Japanese place. Make sure you book a cab early as well otherwise you will not get one for ages. I would stay there again but will eat out.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for non smoking if you do not smoke
1  Thank TheWestCountryNomad

Dear TheWestCountryNomad,

Thank you for you valuable time to share your comment during the time you stay at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta,

We particularly appreciate your comments as you provide us with valuable information and help us in our constant endeavor to offer the finest levels of hospitality to our guests.
We will share your comment to our Management and staff as our attention to improve and provide a better service for your future experience.

Look forward to welcome you back at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta in the near future.

I Nyoman Sarya,

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had a pleasant stay during my short trip to Jakarta. The rooms are large and has the right finish. The location is ideal as it is centrally located. The hotel has a nice pool and gym which is just nice to use. A value for money spent. The choice of menu for breakfast was very much standard and lacked variety but not to complain.

Room Tip: King Bed room or Grand Deluxe room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
SultanJakarta10002, General Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear SaikumarSB,

We are honored to have your comment and will deliver this to our management and staff , especially to our Food and Beverage Team regarding your notice for the variety of the food.

We believe that your comment will encourage us to provide better service for your further experience.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back at The Sultan Hotel & Residence in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

The Sultan is my home away from home I stay 2 weeks in every 4. The service is above and beyond expectation and i know I have been most annoying with special requests. Regardless each request is met with utmost care without fuss. Each time i walk through the hotel, warm smiles great me at every step – it seems now that everyone knows me by name.
The rooms are very spacious and the beds are very large and comfortable.
The hotel is going through some renovations and this will help bring some life back to it. I have read the other reviews and agree with each. Regardless, this venue presents value for money at such a central location. I have looked at other nearby venues but come back to the Sultan because of the value and the outstanding friendly staff and service - the largest asset of the Sultan. If you

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
SultanJakarta10002, General Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Graham B,

Thank you very much for spending your time to share your comment during your recent stay with The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta..

We will deliver your compliment to our management and staff as our necessary feedback to provide better service and experience for you in the future.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta .

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not quite 4 star but a very nice comfortable hotel. Friendly staff and older but nice rooms. Very large and comfortable bed and bathrooms. Rooms showing a little wear etc but thats quite usual for older hotels especially Asian ones. The Foyer was being renovated when I was there and at 4.30am they were packing up ready for the daytime custom so you would not even know it was ongoing. As someone mentioned earlier the Mini bar could be stocked a bit better, not necessarily with alcohol but at least some juices.

Overall a pleasant stay and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
SultanJakarta10002, General Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Biggusstickus,

Thank You so much for your valuable time to share your experience regarding your stay at at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recently had a 3 night stay at the Sultan Hotel Hotel & Residence in Jakarta while performing a event at the Jakarta Convention Centre. It is a great location for anyone attending events at the JCC as there is a easy access under pass walkway directly from the hotel to the convention centre. The breakfast buffet was of very standard with ample local and western selections. As I was quite busy i did have the chance to dine in the outlets.
The stand out for me was the warm and welcoming staff, from arrival to departing every detail, request, questions was dealt with profresionalism and a friendly smile .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mark N,

Thank You so much for your valuable time to share your experience during the time you stay at at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.

We are honored to take your comment and will share this with our management and staff as our essential compliment, we believe that your comment will encourage us to serve you better in the future.