“Generally decent accommodation but service could improve”

Ranked #78 of 468 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 23 July 2014

While the accommodation was decent (in comparison with other hotels in the area) the service left a lot to be desired. When we arrived at the hotel it took two hours for us to get checked in this was further complicated by a breakdown in communication. It also took ages to check out again.

The general state of my room was decent - however, the carpets required additional cleaning and were a nightmare for someone like myself who battles with allergies. I also found my shower had hair clogging the drain (obviously not mine as I had just checked in). The wifi was not that great and was a mission to log into.

I would suggest getting a room that faces the pool side as the rooms facing the main road/stadium/park are subject to noise coming from the highway. In addition, one morning I woke up to loud noises as a movie was being filmed in the park facing my window.

I enjoyed the selection of fruits and food at breakfast. I had dinner there the one night - it was not that great and rather pricey (as one would expect from hotels).

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool as these are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
SultanH0TEL, General Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Sandisiwe ,

Thank you and appreciate for taking your time to post a review of our hotel. We really appreciate your review of our service. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We take your feedback seriously and share with the team concern and will continuously improve our services to the high level in order to meet or event exceeding our guests needs and expectations.

We hope this will not happened again in the near future and looking forward to welcome you back to The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta during your next trip to Jakarta.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel itself is a resort as the large area in which u can enjoy walking around quietly in the rear garden, and the view is nice. The service really need tobe improved lot but still there are some employee give me good impression such as Christina and Renata, they work in FO and did a great job, seems they two are more friendly and patiently to customers than other employees, their smile and humor is just like a gift to the customers!

• Stayed: July 2014
SultanH0TEL, Public Relations Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Mr. Leo Lee,

Thank you for visiting The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.

We are glad to hear that your staying experience was memorable. Especially knowing that our staff, Ms. Christina and Ms. Renata have provided you excellent service with world class royal hospitality. Glad also to know that you have a great time walking around in our Sriwedari Garden.

We will keep continuing to improve the services in order to meet or even exceed our guest expectations and we will share your valuable feedback to the team.

We would love to welcome you back to The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta on your next trip to Jakarta.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Very bad experience, i have 3 rooms for 5 nights. Everything is wrong. When i make reservation 2 rooms grand deluxe n 1 room deluxe, actually the price should different, but reservation make mistake all the price is same. When check in,, 1 of the room already confirm early check in at 7 am with full charge 1 nite, but when check in no have room avaliable, but they gave to executive floor, but in afternoon should move to grand deluxe. And another room dont knw what happen with receptionist, another room should get deluxe but the room is grand deluxe (MISTAKE AGAIN) n i should move to another room, i already call to reception to confirm to move, then i came to reception n gave old key to get deluxe room. In night around 11 pm i request for wake up call for 5 am, but reception said my room is not register in system, what the hell i have, im very tired in this hotel, thats why i checked out earlier. Very not satisfied. The reception n supervisor no have smile. Should gave trainee more n more...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SultanH0TEL, Public Relations Manager at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you and appreciate for taking your time to write reviews to our hotel. We take your feedback seriously and will share this with the team. We will make it every effort to make sure that this is not happen again. We will also conduct training to our staff to better handling situation such as above.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay and we will closely monitor our services to maintain its level to exceed our guests needs and expectations.

We hope to welcome you back at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

old establishment. used to be one of the very good hotel in Jakarta back in the hey day of Hilton. Pick somewhere else if you want real 5 stars services.
just avoid this hotel.

the only reason to pick this hotel is only the location. but you can find lots of hotels around 1km within this location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelle99bandung

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking in writing a review of our hotel. We take our guests feedback seriously and will share this with our team. We would like you to know as well that we are in the process in refurbishing our facilities and constantly upgrading our services providing world class Indonesia royal hospitality for our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for one night since I was not able to extend my stay in Le Meridien which I have stayed earlier the same week. This hotel is the total opposite of Le Meridien, with a far from friendly atmosphere. Rooms are very big, even the bathroom is big but it is all cold and does not inspire much. What really put my ratings down is the hotel elevator, since I stayed in a high floor I had to use it and it took me at least 5-10 minutes every time to get hold of!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Geir S

Dear Mr. Geir,

Thank you for choosing The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta and taking your time to give feedback to our hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay and we are in the process of upgrading our elevator services as we have taken your feedback seriously.

We hope this will not happened again the near future and looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel during your next trip to Jakarta.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am so surprised to know that this hotel looks luxury from outside but very poor in their facilities. I stayed at 5th floor, and have to wait around 15 minutes to use the elevator/lift. The toilet was broken, so does the lamp at the bed-side. I asked the staff where is the Qiblat direction but he cannot answered. I also cannot find any sign of the Qiblat. The swimming pool is so so. The breakfast not really good, except the Jamu. The plus value is the staff are friendly. Also they have tunnel that connect to Jakarta Convention Center.

Room Tip: I don't have special tips since I had very bad room. But my room has good view of swimming pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mamisinga

Dear Mamisinga,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review and give feedback to our hotel.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We take tour feedback seriously and share it to our management team. Therefore, we would like to you to know as well that we area in the process of upgrading our elevator services and refurbishing our facilities.

We are very pleased to hear that our staff has provide you the warmest hospitality and how you find our direct tunnel to Jakarta Convention Center was favorable for you.

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel during your next stay.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I've never stayed in the regular floors of the hotel and I always stay on the executive floor, where the staff are very friendly and provide great service. The buildings and much of the hotel is old and needs modernization, especially when compared with most of the newer hotels in Jakarta. But, the rooms are nice and the people are super making for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mrs. Sandra,

Thank you for choosing The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.

We are happy to hear that your staying experience was memorable. Especially our staff has provide you excellent service with world class royal hospitality and how our room was favorable to your need. However, we still continue upgrading our facilities and services to exceed our guest needs and expectations.

We are looking forward to have you back at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta.