“Not as good as they think they are!”

Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta
Ranked #13 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Australia
“Not as good as they think they are!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, 30th Dec and New Years Eve. Really couldn't complain about the price of the room, ( just over A$300 per night) as it's obviously a very peak period. Arrival in mid afternoon was efficient and the security strict ( no problem with that!). Staff at Reception were pleasant enough, and no problem with check-in. When we arrived in our room (on a non-smoking floor) there was a very unpleasant smell about the place, like stale smoke. (maybe that's what it was), so went back down to reception to complain. Without any ado, the receptionist gave us another room to check out, which was fine. While the room was quite large, with a very nice view overlooking the golf course, it had very dated decor, including a huge 'Armoire' holding a square-screen CRT analogue television. My wife remarked that the last time she'd seen a TV as old as that, it had been dumped on the street verge waiting for a council 'unwanted rubbish pick-up'! The bathroom was depressingly small, ugly and dimly lit, and again, very dated bathroom 'furniture'. It looked as though it hadn't been renovated since before the 80's. Internet connection is OK, but hotel still have the cheek to charge approximately A$16 per day for it....Come on!
We ate all our meals in the hotel, at both the Cafe and the Orient 8, and were not disappointed, (except for breakfast in the cafe)
Before going downstairs to attend the New Years Eve Dinner at the 'Orient8' we decided to open a bottle of Moet Champagne that a friend had left for us as a gift. I rang room service and asked for an ice bucket and 4 champagne glasses, ( My Brother-in-law and partner were also staying at hotel) and was told that there would be a charge for that of $40.' Why', I asked. 'It's the hotel policy' he said, though I must say very apologetically. ( and it's not his fault that the policy of management in this hotel seems to be to to gouge as much money as possible out of their guests) After some persuasion, he relented, and said he could deliver 2 glasses only, and no charge.
The special buffet dinner at 'Orient 8', while pricey ( two and half million rupiah for 4, about $250) was exceptionally good, maybe the best buffet I've experienced. Service was excellent, both professional and friendly) The New Years entertainment in the lobby was also very good, some female drummers, drumming up a storm.
The next morning at the breakfast room, it was busier than Times Square on New Years Eve! I thought the morning before was pretty bad, but this was craziness. The queue to get into the breakfast room was over 50 metres long... and moving at a snails pace, one person had to leave the dining room before another was allowed in...Luckily, my brother-in-law had arrived much earlier, and had reserved a couple of seats for us...otherwise we'd have surely missed out on a seat ( Breakfast finished at 10:30 promptly.) I wont go into the weird system they employ to get you to sign a bill at the cafe, even though you have already paid for breakfast in your room rate, as others have already mentioned it....suffice to say, it causes a good deal of annoyance having to explain why you shouldn't have to sign.... but the waitstaff are VERY persistent, and in the end you sign just to make them go away and leave you in peace!
We were originally thinking of staying at the Mulia for a further 2 nights, rather than the hassle of packing up and moving to another hotel, but 2 nights at the Mulia was enough . Earlier in the week, my son had booked a night at the Ritz Carlton MegaKuningam , and was very impressed, both by the rate (US$142++ a night) and the hotel, so I booked our last 2 nights in Indonesia with them, and was very pleased I did so.
Would I stay at the Mulia again? Not until they refurbish the rooms and the bathrooms I wouldn't, unless every other hotel in Jakarta was full !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
HotelMulia-Senayan, Hotel Mulia Senayan at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear vendepac,

Warmest greetings from Hotel Mulia Senayan.

Thank you for the candid and extensive feedback from your recent stay with us.
With reference to your comment about the additional charge for champagne flutes, please accept our sincere apologies for not effectively communicating our policies to you.
During new year’s eve there is indeed a levy for additional items used in the rooms that are not part of the standard set up due to the volume of requests received.
However, the charges relayed to you were incorrect. The surcharge should have been
IDR 40,000 and not IDR 400,000.
With reference to the long queue during breakfast, on occasion, when guests arrive at the Cafe within the same time frame, a queue forms. We train our staff to best accommodate all guests as quickly as possible and this is most often cleared within a few minutes time.

We hope to welcome you again at Hotel Mulia Senayan on your next visit to Jakarta.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed for a week, hotel is OK, bit old, but works well. The reason for the post is that we struggled the expense account. Usually, for expenses during the stay, most hotels take a potential deposit from your credit card and they cancel this deposit on your way out when you pay, but they actually don't take money from your account.
In this case the reception told us they would actually withhold USD$2000 from my account for possible expenses during my stay, and whatever I would not spend during my stay in the hotel out of these $2000, it would be reimbursed to me in local currencies, Indonesian rupees at the time of my departure.
This is of course unacceptable, what would anyone do with millions of rupees , having to convert them to international currencies would be at a cost, and of course the hotel is not ready to pay for that expense.
The manager eventually accepted for us to leave a deposit in cash, however they did cut us off from any of the hotel services, the telephone was not working, none of the restaurants were allowed to charge any of these expenses onto a room. What a mess!
As a consequence, none of the services were working properly available for us, and that was a result of a pretty silly policy against the guests.
So be aware of this, because I think most people have a surprise on the way out when they are handed over big packs of Indonesian rupees, and you don't want this to happen to you.
JB

1 Thank jbmonnier
Dear jbmonnier,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments about your stay at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

With regard to your use of a credit card during check in, as was explained to you by the duty manager, the card you presented was in fact a debit card and not a credit card. Your debit card is perfectly acceptable but of course a deposit is required to cover the room charges as well as any incidentals during your stay which is a standard procedure in any international hotel.

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed at the Milia for business and found it noise and chaotic. The air conditioning in the rooms is arctic, I had to order a second duvet as I was so cold and it took 30 mins to arrive, and although I was on the 18th I could still hear the traffic. Don't be late for breakfast as tables are hard to get and be prepared to queue, not worth the star rating.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Lucy H
HotelMulia-Senayan, Hotel Mulia Senayan at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Lucy H,

Warmest greetings from Hotel Mulia Senayan.

Thank you for the feedback we received from your recent stay with us. Please rest assured that we will do our best so that the Hotel, its facilities and services will meet or even exceed your expectations on your next stay with us.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Three adjectives to describe this magnificent Hotel.
Reception is a good business card to start a great stay in this Hotel.
Huge Rooms, tidiness everywhere, kindness of staff are evident.
Dulcis in fundo, food is the Mulia pearl! In particular sushi and sahimi, wonderful!!!
I strongly suggest a stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear PiscoloMi,

Thank you for your thoughtful review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will definitely share your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Paiton indonesia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel is a very nice hotel but it has a few problems that (according to me) do not make it worth the price. The hotel is a little outdated, the interior is very kitsch, staff were not as attentive as would be expected in a hotel of this price class and there was much noise in between the rooms. However, the Orient8 restaurant below has great french food and it is conveniently located for business!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear EVanVeldhovan,

Warmest greetings from Hotel Mulia Senayan.

We regret your visit did not meet your expectations,
your comments have been passed on to the relevant department for further action. Nevertheless, It is nice to read that you appreciate the French food at Orient8 that we will surely pass this message to the Chef.

We would be delighted to have you choose our hotel again on your next visit to Jakarta and to welcome you as a satisfied guest.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

In my experience this has to be one of e best city hotels I have ever stayed in.
The staff were so friendly and helpful and the facilities and quality of service and everything else were top notch.
I plan to return which speaks for itself.
Two members of staff in particular went out of their way to help and they were both on the front desk - Coury and Prima.
First class and made to feel valued.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HotelMulia-Senayan, The Management at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear JoshuaCheshire,

Thank you for your review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta. We truly value the opinions of our guests and are happy that you found our staff helpful and professional – especially Coury and Prima.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

seattle
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The lobby is impressive, big, gold and sparkling -- like Vegas - if that is what you like. The glam ends in the lobby.. As a world-wide business traveler and normally has "club" access,
I am beyond disappointed and underwhelmed with the service at Hotel Mulia. I arrived at 5:45pm to the "club" and asked for a glass of wine. As I was 10 minutes "prior" to the cocktail hour, they had to charge me for the wine. I asked for Sauvignon Blanc, he brought me Chardonnay twice AND charged me for it on my way out of the "club" since I ordered it 10 minutes before the "cocktail hour" began... This is not my definition of service or class. The kicker was when I left with a glass of red in my hand, about 5 staff members stopped me to tell me that I could not leave with the wine glass.... I thought it was a joke... Not so, they brought my wine back to me in a paper coffee cup with a plastic lid. Classy place for sure.... Won't be coming back.

Dear lisa h,

We appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience regarding your recent stay at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

With reference to your comment regarding cocktail, as was explained to you by the butler, all beverages are subject to charge if ordered outside the cocktail hours.
On the other hand, please accept our most sincere apologies for the lack of standards regarding the paper cup. Bad decisions made with the best intentions are still bad decisions and it should not have happened.