“Business trip surprise....”

Ranked #15 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Business trip surprise....”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here 2 nights, it wasn't bad to be honest, I read some of the "terrible" reviews and my experience was nowhere near as bad.

The main foyer/entrance was beautiful. The room was large and comfortable. Checking in took a long time but the staff were friendly. I was asked if I wanted an upgrade as I was paying by amex but they didn't indicate that it was complimentary as there was a deal as I would have opted for the upgrade for sure!

The rooms were clean, smoke free (my colleague's room smelled like someone had smoked in the room), large bathroom, shower was excellent, toiletries could have been of higher quality, for a 5* I expected nicer bed linen, similar to what you see on their website but I guess that is for the executive rooms, etc.

Breakfast and lunch was good. The selection of food was very good, no complaints. There is a huge seafood selection and many many fresh oysters if that is something you enjoy!

The surprise part of trip was.... My colleagues and I decided to go for a drink at CJ's pub. Thinking it was a "pub", it turned out to be a club with a 3.5 million rupiah buy-in to sit in the booths! As I waited for my colleagues to arrive, I opted to sit at the tables (non-booth) and as the minutes ticked away, I noticed that the "pub" slowly started to fill with high class working ladies on a Monday evening! My colleagues (all female) and I were dressed very casually for a few drinks in a pub to relax and unwind but this was totally unexpected! One of my colleagues was even accosted by the door staff, questioned if she was staying at the hotel, asked to prove by showing her room card and then another member of staff said "you're with the OTHER 2 girls", obvious not their usual clientele!

We quickly vacated once we were all in CJ's, not even staying for one drink and we went downstairs into the lounge where it was much more subdued with live singers and a better atmosphere that we were more accustomed to.

We all did not expect that kind of business to be happening in a 5* hotel but it would appear to be a normal occurrence for the Mulia (as indicated by the doormen).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HotelMulia-Senayan, Hotel Mulia Senayan at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
“Dear ScottylassAbroad,

Warmest greetings from Hotel Mulia Senayan.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and would also like to thank you for the positive comments regarding our hotel accommodations and dining facilities.

With regard to the CJ’s Bar “surprise” you encountered, I would like to assure you that all CJ’s patrons are either in-house guests or walk-in guests who pay entrance fees. Guests of Hotel Mulia receive complimentary admission to CJ’s Bar, and therefore are asked for their hotel room key and room number as a standard of stay confirmation. The Hotel Mulia Senayan prides itself on its five star reputation in the industry and does not involve itself in illegal activities such as solicitation or pandering which may harm its reputation.

We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

With best regards,
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Hotel Mulia Jakarta is a small local 5 star luxury brand with a resort I believe also located in Bali. The luxury starts at the airport where I am picked up by a black Mercedes Benz and chauffeured to the massive hotel entrance - with cars and taxis queueing just to drop guests off. Part if this is caused by the intense security required after the WTC (where I am working!) and JR Marriott hotel bombings a few years back. Another security check at the hotel entrance glass doors and I am in. And what a surprise indeed. Beautiful! And a lovely fragrance in the air. I am guided to the check-in area and greeted with a smile and welcome etc. and am told of the features of my room rate and given a small upgrade to their second level room in the 25th floor (rooms start on level 6). I make my way up and bags soon follow. Although not a suite (which I would usually have at a Hilton family hotel), it is still relatively large with a huge King+ size bed. 3 apples greet me on the coffee table as I look around and check out the amenities. Over the next few days I try out the functional gym, massive outdoor swimming pool, spa, indoor hot tubs, sauna and steam room. Breakfast each morning is in the restaurant downstairs and there is an endless amount of choices. Even the coffee, American filter-style which I normally can't stand is good. One thing to mention is the phenomenal guest service and attention to detail I receive throughout the stay. A real pleasure to come back to after a day at work.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
HotelMulia-Senayan, Hotel Mulia Senayan at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Japanuki,

We appreciate the time taken to share your experience over your recent stay at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel .It is our goal to provide professional and exceptional services to our guests; therefore your recognition of our service standard serves as such a great encouragement to all of us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future where once again you may enjoy our warm hospitality.

American Expat
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed in a Junior Club Suite for 4 nights, then moved to a Splendor room for two more nights. The Club rooms are truly elegant and worth the upgrade for the experience. The bathroom has a lovely marble bathtub, and the towels are very plush. In contrast, the towels in the Splendor room were old and poorly, and the bathroom was adequate but not wow. In my opinion, if you are not staying in a Club room then you are paying too much for what you are getting and can get a better room for the same money at another nearby 5 Star hotel.

Other than that, I will say that when I was there the hotel had overbooked rooms, and we did not get the rooms that we had reserved, even though we had the confirmation, and we had airport pick up through the hotel utterly confirming our presence. For Club rooms I expect better service. Also, at check out I was 8 minutes after noon, and they threatened to charge me 50% the cost for an additional day! I understand that at a certain point that kind of enforcement is necessary, but for 8 minutes, that was a cheapskate move that really soured my opinion, even though I appreciated that the charge was waived, that was only after ten minutes of uncomfortable waiting.

The pool is excellent, and the room service menu is great, reflecting the high quality restaurants at the Mulia. Do try the Sunday Brunch at Il Mare! The gym is nice, but really gets hot.

The staff is very friendly and courteous, and I would say that they made the stay very pleasant, and even in my check out and check in woes, they were helpful and apologetic, so I think the problems I encountered were more management and policy than personnel.

Room Tip: Splurge for the Club room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The best beautiful hotel we ever visited, we upgraded our room to executive room, love the bathroom , very clean and comfortable, the club room also very nice
We love this place very much
Even my kids love the hotel very much too
Will come back to this place for sure

Stayed September 2013
Dear Lily_kathy,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta and taking your precious time to share a review with us. We are so delighted that you were satisfied with our facilities and service.

We thank you for your coming and giving us your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have been staying in this hotel since I started visiting Jakarta for business, six years ago. I have been staying in Hilton, Hyatt, JW Marriott, Shangrila, in other cities/countries when I am on a business. They can not even come closer to this one. Their property in Bali, Mulia Bali, is simply out of this world. In Mulia Jakarta and Mulia Bali, every single employee have been trained to the perfection in their tasks.

Dear Narendra J,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your most recent stay at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

We are delighted to read that you continue to be satisfied with our facilities and service after 6 years of staying with us.

We very much look forward to continue to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Spring, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My company's local staff set up the reservation for me and I felt like they must have thought I was the CEO. This place has a stunning lobby, the staff spring into action at the slightest indication of a need. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Blaine C
Dear Blaine C,

Thank you for your thoughtful review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

Our staff train tirelessly to maintain our standards
and we are happy to read that you found our service impeccable which is something that we as managers can control.

We look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel has received a lot of awards, and you can see why. The rooms are good and the range of restaurants very impressive. Swimming pool is enormous. Staffing levels are generous so the service is really fine. A word of appreciation to the housekeeping department, which is understood that duvets should not be tucked in. Other hotels please note. Frankly, this was not my first choice in Jakarta, but I have no hesitation in going back there again and in recommending it. The only drawback is the confusing range of tariffs and offers that you get when you arrive. If you have just spent 20 hours travelling there from Europe, all you want to do is get your room.

Dear Stirling1952,

Thank you for your thoughtful review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will definitely share your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With best regards,