“Best Budget Hotel in Business Area”

favehotel Gatot Subroto
Ranked #64 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Bandung, Indonesia
“Best Budget Hotel in Business Area”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I visit this hotel for a long weekend with my family, though we expect for an average service of a 'budget' hotel, in the end we experience an outstanding service. The breakfast was obviously better than other budget hotel, the room's very clean. The most important thing was the staffs. They treat you like you're the member of a big family. Smiling faces and courteous manner every where. We were assisted so many times (taxi, in room massage, room service, even just a cup of hot water)
Hopefully we could enjoy the same excellence services in all favehotel in indonesia

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have now stayed in this hotel twice in the last 1 months. The location is great, a bit hidden from the main road and less polluted. The front desk staff yusuf and dewi is very friendly. Though the rooms are slightly small but if you are an individual traveling for a short visit i think this is perfect and good price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The hotel was very clean and easy to get to. Check in was great and the shower had very hot water with high pressure. The only thing I thought they could improve on would be breakfast, it was not great, and definitely not traditional. Also, we tried to check out at 1pm instead of noon and they said no late checkouts. Other than that, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
NyomanIswara, General Manager at favehotel Gatot Subroto, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear SheenaJG, Thank you for your time to write comments, we are happy to hear you enjoyed stay with us, well noted your comments about our breakfast that what we have presented is for fave standard, and always a room to improve on our side. Late check out until 1PM we can always arrange it for you (will pay more attention about this). Look forward to have you back soon in Jakarta ;)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I recently spent 3 weeks in Favehotel Gator Subroto. At first, I reserved a room for 1 week and then extended my stay for two more weeks. It is a spotlessly clean budget hotel that fully met my needs. After leaving I went on to tour other parts of Indonesia for 3 additional weeks and reserved a room at Fave for one night upon my return to Jakarta.
When I walked in I was greeted by name and told that I have inadvertently been over charged on my previous stay and had a refund waiting for me. I would never have discovered this on my own and the honesty of Putu and Hary at the front desk left me almost speechless. I can easily recommend this hotel to you for many reasons, and their actions speak volumes as to the type of hotel Fave by Aston is offering.

Room Tip: The Mie Goreng in the resturant is excellent as is the service there.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
NyomanIswara, General Manager at favehotel Gatot Subroto, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear R Craig K, Thank you very much for sharing your excellent feeling during your stay, it was nothing to say than to welcoming you back again at favehotel Gatot Subroto in the near future.
We will keep it up and continue our hard work to give the best service.
Regards,
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The location is very good though a bit hidden from the main road which makes the hotel surroundings a bit quieter and just a tad less polluted. This is a new property and most taxi drivers do not know it. Front desk staff is friendly. A very basic hotel catering to budget travelers looking for a comfortable bed and a powerful hot shower. Linen and towels are good quality and clean. Bed mattress is comfortable and firm. Being new the condition of the hotel is good. Rooms are small. Nothing really to enjoy at this hotel except to spend a night. The hotel is now a well known brand in Indonesia and you get minimum negative surprises. Breakfast is very basic though freshly made eggs of your choice are made right in fornt of you, which is unusual for a budget hotel. Most of the people staying here were locals with a few foreigners. The guests were mostly young. For short stays and for the low price you cant go wrong with this place. I did not think much of the bold bright colors the hotel has used in public places. Food is average. Room service is available.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with windows. Most rooms do not have windows that open on the outside
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mirza A,

Thank you for your time to write down your comments, it was a valuable one. We are happy to hear positive points from you and about room that is too small for you, yes it was made following favehotel standard ranging 17 M2-19 M2. We do our best to show the guests the best we have and hope to have you back in the near future :)

Best Regards,
Reviewed 19 February 2014

it's a new hotel with a lot of options of destinations. such as embassies, offices, malls, you name it. the room is small but adequate. Feels like second home when the staff could remember your name.
Some minor thing, but already handle properly by the staffs...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
NyomanIswara, General Manager at favehotel Gatot Subroto, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Ig0en, Thank you for sharing your comments, it was good to have you stay with us previously. We will keep good values and we will work our best for some issues for improvement.
Look forward to have you back at favehotel Gatot Subroto.
Cheers
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Maybe I'm being too hard on this hotel. There are a few good things; for example, the staff is warm and pleasant despite not being able to get anything done. Pillows are really comfy.

The hotel itself looks like an Ibis in the common areas, which to me is a good thing for a value hotel. The rooms are more like a Tune hotel; small, with white and splashes of bright colors.

Here's the bad:
1. Food. The restaurant is a total rip-off by local standards; I got a plate of rice at Ritz-Carlton for about the same price as they charge here. And the sandwich I ordered my first day here was very chewy.

2. Location. Yes, taxis are cheap in Jakarta, but it's not always preferable to rely on a taxi. The hotel is hard for some taxis to find, as well. And if you want a snack in the middle of the night, be prepared to walk 10 minutes plus to the ONE 7-Eleven nearby. I'm all for a quiet neighborhood, but the neighborhood this hotel in has NOTHING. Write it down... NOTHING. It's several miles from a couple nice malls, but you could spend as long as an hour in a taxi getting there if you go at rush hour.

3. The hotel is too new. My room had a shower that, without touching it, went from chilly to scalding hot... in about five seconds. You'd be lathering up and suddenly getting first degree burns. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work. After asking the front desk SEVEN TIMES, they did nothing. Finally, when I demanded a new room (you'd think I'd have learned from repeatedly being snubbed) an employee told me the hotel "has a problem" and ALL the rooms are like that.

Also, the door never closes without you slamming it shut. My first night here, I slept with a door slightly ajar the entire night, not knowing it was open.

4. Laundry. The laundry service is overpriced for this level of hotel. They charge by the piece, such as $0.75 for a pair of underwear. There's no way to wash your own clothes, and no place in this sleepy neighborhood to drop clothes off.

5. They bother you. This isn't just this hotel, but it's annoying. I got calls as early as 8am about various business items. Housekeeping calls to ask if they can clean your room. Then they call again.

6. Wifi and power. Wifi is somewhat slow. I downloaded a TV show from iTunes in about ten minutes in Kuala Lumpur; it took overnight and then some here. Youtube is blocked half the time. Macy's is blocked as an "adult" site; I guess because they sell underwear?

One night, the power went out three times in a row. Re-connecting to wifi took awhile. I understand the local power system may not be great, but I've stayed in cheaper hotels in poorer countries and never had such a problem.

7. Management is horrible... or doesn't exist. I was planning on staying in Jakarta for a month and decided to stay here after trouble finding a short-term apartment. So I asked the front desk to see if I could get a small discount. The "offices" upstairs called me once around 8am, I asked them to call back in an hour, and they never did. I gave the front desk my email twice asking for contact... got nothing. Every time I'd go to the front desk to speak to the office staff, they were "at lunch"... 11am, 3pm... you name it, they were "gone". Apparently no one works at this hotel besides the well-meaning front desk staff whose English skills vary and who can't do anything without asking the mysterious "office" staff.

Bottom line: if you have a problem, it will NOT get solved.

8. Value. My most expensive night was $48. I understand Jakarta hotels aren't as cheap as I think they should be, but that seems a bit high for a brand new, half-empty hotel in a location nobody can find. Don't book the room with breakfast; the breakfast may be good for an Asian visitor, but it offers nothing for westerners other than burnt eggs and SALAD. Yes, enjoy a nice Caesar salad at 8:30am!

I hate to leave such a bad review considering several staff members were very nice to me, but the facts are the facts. I'm leaving Indonesia more than two weeks ahead of schedule because I don't feel like changing hotels here yet again (I stayed in two hotels before this thinking I had an apartment lined up... oops). That should say something.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
NyomanIswara, General Manager at favehotel Gatot Subroto, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your valuable time to write down review, indeed is a valuable one and for sure a long list to do, we found this was very important for us as a newly opening 2 months hotel to give the best service in the future. We do Apologize for things has not work as it is, and we have taken note on the points and has taken necessary action on maintenance side, staffs attitude and fix information to fasten up response to the management and not at the last minute before guest departure date, also for some other issues, except the area that good for some guest as it is still in a city center and definitely not for you.

Again thank you to have stayed for us, we do hope that we are given a chance to welcoming you again to prove and give best service in the near future.