“Extremely well done Dutch colonial style in the heart of Batavia” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hermitage Jakarta

The Hermitage Jakarta
Ranked #2 of 453 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta
“Extremely well done Dutch colonial style in the heart of Batavia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Ever since I got back to Indonesia (I have lived overseas for over 16 years), I have developed an appreciation for the Indonesian culture. It is easy to find an old dutch style building in Jakarta, but to find a well-restored building is difficult, moreover a 5* hotel in a dutch colonial restored building! This is truly a gem in the city, and I am extremely happy that someone had the vision to convert this old place to something so luxurious and beautiful. The decorations tried to stay true to the style, down to the staff uniforms. The only misplaced item (I think) is the jazz music that makes me feel like I am in New York, and the French fine dining restaurant. The rooms are a little cozy, but equipped with all the modern amenities that you would find in a 5* establishment. I especially like the airiness of the bathroom and how the tub is placed on the porch. The coffee shop and lounge is suitable for any business meetups while the rooftop bar is a nice place to hangout and chill with friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LauraThedy
Markus_Goettfert, General Manager at The Hermitage Jakarta, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Mrs. Laura Thedy,

greetings from The Hermitage Menteng - Jakarta...

Thank you very much for taking your time and posting your review.

The entire Hermitage Team and myself are very glad to know that you liked the Hotel and you enjoyed your time with us.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you again in the hopefully near future.

with my very best regards
Markus Goettfert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Hermitage has been on my to-visit list for a number of months and I finally had the opportunity to visit today. Unfortunately their semi-buffet option is unavailable during Ramadhan so my partner and I opted for the a la carte menu we were shown on an ipad in the entryway and we were seated in the small but chic restaurant area.

Reviews from friends and blogs suggested that it is a must-try, so as such my expectations were quite high - an exclusively refurbished historical building in Menteng, a boutique French influenced hotel and glamourous photographs on their website suggested the same.

Food:
Bread was served to us chewy and stale, as though it had been left over from the day before and microwaved instead of heated in an oven. In any establishment, bread should only be served if it is fresh. If AMUZ or Le Quartier can do it (amazingly well, for that matter) then the Hermitage should be able to surpass them easily. A thoroughly disappointing start to our equally disappointing meal.

I ordered the barramundi with artichokes, beurre blanc and a side of truffle fries while my partner ordered the burger.

The menu did not state that the burger comes with truffle fries on the side, so we ended up with two servings (the mussels stated they came with fries, thus we assumed we would need to order extra). Ordinarily this would have been fine, but the fries were soggy and limp – like something you would expect to find at McDonalds during a lull in patronage. There was no parmesan on the fries as the menu described and we could hardly taste the truffle oil.

The barramundi was nicely cooked though smelled fishy when it came out – if the fish was fresh it shouldn’t have an odour. Potato Head does a simple but fresh cut of barramundi that I would rate higher, at half the price. My biggest complaint was the use of canned/jar artichokes that I had ordered as my side. Artichokes are not a product that can be easily found in Jakarta, but if they can be sourced in Bali, they can be sourced here. One small, fresh artichoke would be insurmountably better than 8 pieces of brine-infused, soggy little things that have lived in a jar for 5 years before they are bought in a supermarket.

The burger was absolutely ordinary. Nothing special about it whatsoever and again, a burger at even Potato Head Garage trumps this (though Le Quartier takes the cake so far). Forgive the comparisons but I hope to put it into perspective. The bun was a very standard “white with sesame seeds” – at $23 you would expect either something supremely good, interesting or much larger than what it was.

Drinks:
I tried to order a "bentley" - a lemon squash with Angostura bitters - and was told it was not available. I then tried to order a watermelon juice and was told a few minutes later that the watermelon fruit wasn't fresh so they recommended I choose something else. I opted for a pot of TWG pink flamingo tea but when it came it wasn't strong enough - I appreciated that it was pre-steeped but I could hardly taste it. The colour was delightful but more tea leaves were needed or perhaps it needed a slightly longer to steep.

Coffee from the lounge after lunch was well made (Americano – so I can’t comment on the barista’s ability to froth milk). The coffee beans were freshly ground and the small touch crema that remained was perfect. Perhaps management could consider a different blend of coffee beans to differentiate from the norm.

Chocolate madeleine served with coffee and tea was stale and tasteless but looked well-made. I would recommend that management seriously consider serving different daily accompaniments if the madeleines are not fresh – biscotti or shortbreads last longer and are just as good if made with quality ingredients (the Intercontinental Hotel usually serve coffees with a delightful pistachio biscotti).

Service:
Great service aside from the waitress not knowing what was unavailable in the kitchen. At no point were we asked how our meal was, which was disappointing given that we were not happy.

Decor:
A lot of time, thought and money has gone into the decor of this beautiful building. I loved the old photographs in the lounge area but was perplexed by the images of Angeline Jolie and Kanye West near the bar area. We were also a bit confused by the Chinese influence in the hotel's decor, but they have done a great job with accents and details.

Servingwear:
I was particularly impressed by the quality of silverware and Peugeot salt and pepper mills. Buerre blanc sauce was served in a small square dish – difficult to pour and the serving size was tiny. When I ordered my Americano in the lounge area and asked for some cold milk on the side, it came in a lovely very generously sized pourer that I think should be used for sauces – if you’re charging $6 for French sauces, you better not need two portions.

Bread came in a silver dish, burger came on a black slate tile. Consistency please – stick with white porcelain and do what you do best - keep it classy.

Other:
A few gnats in the restaurant area and a small spider on the curtains. Moved into the lounge area for a coffee after lunch, more gnats. This area was also particularly cold - no consistency in room temperature.

Receipt printer was very loud and the receipts look quite old school considering everything is new and relatively modern.

After Ramadhan we will try the semi-buffet lunch option and hope it will be better then. I sincerely hope management takes this advice on board and improves the food at what is a beautiful hotel as it is currently very overpriced for what it is serving.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Natrisha14
Dear Natrisha14,

warm greetings from The Hermitage Menteng - Jakarta.

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very organized and detailed review of our Hotel.

We appreciate very much to get detailed feedback from our Guest and please rest assured all your points and recommendations will be looked into and followed up in a very thorough manner. Please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings during your visit.

The entire Hermitage Team and myself would look forward to welcome you again and have the opportunity to display our improved services to you.

with my best regards
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a very new hotel when and most taxi drivers are not aware of it yet. It was only a week old when I first stayed here. The decor and atmosphere were impressive and has the colonial feel all over. Courtesy early check-in was quick and smooth. I m happy with the room, bed, amenities and space. The hotel is located close to Surabaya street which was lined with antique shops and some great boutique cafes serving gourmet coffee. It's in a quiet neighborhood with school across the hotel. The food in the hotel was very good. I enjoyed lunch and breakfast at the hotel. As the hotel is new, I do agree that service has to be improved and I look forward to experience staying at this hotel again on my next trip. What they lack in service, they made it up with smiles. The only bummer was breakfast was not ready at the time stated around 6 or 6:30am and I had to wait outside for about 10 mins. If it's me, I would invite my guest in and offer juice first while food is being prepared. This has to be improved as there will be guests such as myself that starts my day early trying to avoid the Jakarta traffic for my meeting. Having point out the incident, I know that there's going to be improvement on my next visit. The Hermitage is the place to stay. It has class! Dont forget to go up to the roof top for a sweeping view in the morning or at night.

1 Thank Bachatakahuna
Dear Bachatakahuna,

warm greetings from The Hermitage Menteng - Jakarta.

Thank you very much for taking your time and reviewing our Hotel, we are very glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Your Feedback in regards to our Breakfast opening hours is very well received and surely we will learn and handle such situation differently in future.

Once again, thank you, and the entire Hermitage Team is looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

with my best regards
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Hermitage provides a lovely respite after a day full of meetings in Jakarta.Tucked in the quiet enclave of exclusive residences in the Menteng area, the hotel comes across as a charming hideaway from the humdrum of a busy city life.

The modern colonial interiors are impressive and the relaxing scent infused through the airconditioning provides an ambience that makes your day.

Service is efficient, warm and from my experience, almost personalized. The hotel has small event spaces that I am considering for my team's mission planning because the place is conducive for brainstorming and dynamic exchange of thoughts. The pillarless ballroom would be perfect for an intimate company or family celebration.

With Jakarta's known traffic condition, I suggest a gentle follow-up over taxi transfers to and from the airport. The few times I dined in the hotel, I was satisfied with their offering as they have most of what I truly enjoy.

I'm posting this to recognize the great service of every staff I met at The Hermitage. Thank you.

Room Tip: Any room at The Hermitage is a great room to be in. Their bed and sheets are truly luxurious. Even m...
1 Thank SandyLH0717
The_Hermitage_JKT, General Manager at The Hermitage Jakarta, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear SandyLH0717,

A million thanks for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay.

Your feedback about the staff's warmth and attentiveness really mean a lot to our new team and will certainly encourage them along the way as they improve each and every day.

After a successful taxi familiarization weekend, we are planning more of these events so that finding our little hidden gem becomes easier for all guests.

Sandy, thank you once more for your kindness and we look forward to welcoming you back for another stay and hopefully an event in our gorgeous ballroom.

Warm regards,

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Early June I had an opportunity to take a business trip to Indonesia. I stayed at the Hermitage. A small boutique hotel. This hotel was originally a government building that Leading Hotels took over and turned into a 30-50 room hotel. At the time I stayed at the hotel it was still under renovation, the pool and spa were still being developed, but you would never know it. It was quiet. The staff was amazing and extremely attentive. The complimentary breakfast was fantastic ! Note: the bottle water is pricey so bring it from your room. One thing that is not pricey is the cost of the room I paid $167.00 dollars a night. This was a steal.

I wasn't please with the checking process or location. The have two desk that set adjacent one another. With two attendees stationed at each. You sit next to someone else to check in and out of the hotel as the other person is doing the same, no privacy. Your sitting so close to each other you can read each other's bill or credit card!

The rooms are gorgeous, their like little studio apartments minus the kitchen. The space planning was genius !

One evening I had drinks in their bar/lounge are the is on the left as soon as you come into the hotel, and wow! Great lounge, great music, but if you hate smoke this is not the place for you, because smoking is allowed! Drink menu is limited. I'm a red wine drinker but my business partner wanted a mix drink and the bar was not very well stocked with mixers. Although the wait staff was extremely friendly and very cordial. Their wine selection isn't the best either and Drinks are expensive .

I would recommend this hotel, and I would go back if ever in Indonesia again.

Room Tip: Two floor rooms are great! Side note difficult to find you way out of the hotel so carefully watch...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Quovardis 1,

Warm greetings from The Hermitage and thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your first stay with us.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the service, room and breakfast and we could not agree more with you on the check-in location and process. We are now making every effort to offer in-room check-in so as to provide more privacy.

Since your last visit, we have opened our lovely rooftop pool and fitness center and are operating our cosy wellness room for spa treatments. We have also improved our bar stocking and are making updates to the wine list.

We sincerely hope you will choose to visit us again so that we can showcase our full facilities.

Many thanks again for your comments and warm regards,

Las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was recommended to stay at this new hotel. Having always trusted leading hotel members, I decided to try this hotel. But I must say I am very disappointed with the service. The staff really dont know what they are doing. The rooms are nicely designed but small in size. I am shocked that this hotel is part of leading hotels of the world. Hmmm.......

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Chen H
The_Hermitage_JKT, General Manager at The Hermitage Jakarta, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Chen H.,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us on Trip Advisor.

We are terribly sorry to read that the service levels did not meet your expectation and we would be most grateful if we could reach out to you by email to get further details. Being a very new property does not excuse poor service and we take this feedback very seriously.

At your convenience, could you kindly contact me at: eleonore.petin@hermitage.co.id so that I may know the exact causes of your dissatisfaction and allow us a chance to make it up to you.

Looking forward to your message and thank you again.

Best regards,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Excellent service! From booking request, checking in, staying in, checking out - all staff were very courtesy, professional & attentive. Amazing details on all decor and design. Love the breakfast! Had my dinner there on my last night, creative dishes! Never in mind to make a pure brenebon soup, it's actually taste good :) The hotel need to do some socialization to taxi providers though - i was in an out with taxi like 4 times on my first day there, only 1 taxi driver got me there instantly. The rest got lost & ya wasting my time a bit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Hermitage_JKT, General Manager at The Hermitage Jakarta, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Inca T,

Warm greetings from The Hermitage and many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

The team and I are delighted to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from reservation to checkout! Thank you very much for these encouraging comments.

With regards to the taxi socialization, this is a very good point and we have planned a 2-day event this coming weekend to ensure more taxi drivers become aware of our location.

Many thanks again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay in Jakarta.

Kind regards,