“Walking contradictionary”

Ranked #107 of 461 Hotels in Jakarta
Krk Island, Croatia
“Walking contradictionary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

First of all, the person that decides to stay in an Jakartan hotel, will be astounded by the sight because first of all the hotel is quite huge, and it is directly in front of a lake (therefore the name I suppose). Also, obviously all the important buildings have a guards in front so you will be entering with a car and there will be guards stopping you while enterng and exiting the parking lot. Also, your bags might be scanned with a portable metal detector when you enter the premises. Until now I give four stars to the hotel. When you enter the lobby, which is quite luxury, you'll see two elevators, in glass, in the middle of the lobby, so that you can have a great view while using it. And since the hotel is 8 stories high, you can have a pretty good view. So until now 5 stars. Then you get to the reception. The receptionists are quite frendly and warmhearted, with a smile on their faces and quite always at least 2 (often three) of them on the reception thus preventing any kind of crowd being created. The problem is that if you order a wake up call, it is not quite sure that you'll get it. It happened to me and my coleague on the same day, so I suppose their defitinion of wake up call differes from ours.
The rooms are quite big, which is also a plus, but the smell of ... I do not know weather is it smog or burned tyres kind of, gives you a sensation you are in a tyre factory which is a minus. They have pretty good wellness which is open until 23:00, and I would recomend all the masages over there. The prices of masages are also very affodable, like 20 to 25 euros. The breakfst is abundant, the choice I mean, but I missed plain & normal cheese. Otherwise there is everything over there. The price of rooms are also quite good, about 50 euros per day, just be sure to get a room not facing the lake, because out-of-key singing from a nearby karaoke bar might keep you up, util the early morning hours.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

This place is in the north of Jakarta, near to Ancol Sea world aand near to Tanjong Priok. However, the distance to the centre of Jakarta is not that far, but, as usual, it depends very much on the time you travel- it might be quite congested.
The hotel itself features a number of restaurants, e.g. Korean, Chinese as well as Indian cuisine and a coffee house as well. Near the swimming pool is also another small Deli shop.
Beside the lobby is another place to sit and sip a drink or two, the lobby lounge.
The rooms are vey good, spacious with a well equipped bathroom and a balcony, which you need to use if you want to smoke.
The entire hotel is actually a non-smoking establishment, except for the Korean restaurant, and in the evenings you can also smoke at the coffee house and the lounge.
Service is well mannered, reception some times a bit crowded, then it might be a bit slow.
Since the hotel is a bit off-beat you need to take a cab to find the next shopping malls (Grand Indonesia Mall; Kelapa Garden, etc); it's only a few minutes drive and there you'll find all varieties of shops and restaurants - really entertaining.
House keeping was perfect, laundry service alright - only engineering could not cope with demands, my aircon sensor did not work, after complaining engineering tried to repair but only to have the aircon permanently blowing extrem cold air, guess they misunderstood the entire problem, but I solved it by switching the aircon off during the night.
In general, it is a bit far from centre and also from Cikarang - but it is convenient, nice and quiet.

Room Tip: well, if you don't need the lake view, I would always prefer to have a room facing the rear, at...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

My and a colleague had stayed in this Hotel for a week from 16th to 20th July 2012, on a business trip to Jakarta.

The lobby was nice and spacious and the reception desk was pretty helpful with everything required - right from money changing to travel arrangements (they had a travel agent present). We stayed in a couple of the Deluxe rooms, which were very spacious (at least compared to Indian hotels), and well worth the price, I felt. Queen sized bed, wardrobe, sofa with teapoy table, chairs, lamp, work table, TV, mini bar, coffee maker and all such amenities were present.

I've slept in softer beds before, but it's not like the bed was uncomfortable. The balcony overlooked the swimming pool, but other than that it's not a very great view - you can see the skyline of Jakarta, but the pollution there makes it quite hazy. The TV has limited channels (including a few Indian channels), but then that was okay for me - I wasn't there to watch TV.

The bathroom was a little average - it had a musty smell. I had a tub in my bathroom, but my colleague did not. The tub wasn't very big - not the kinds you can lie down in, more like the ones you sit in. There were no shower curtains, which was a little irritating, because the floor always got wet. Towels were clean, but the water pressure for the wash basin was quite low.

There were a few really nice touches in the rooms: The work table with plug points below (there are hotels I've been in where you had to search for plug points), and a LAN cable for internet, a hangar for coats / shirts / trousers outside of the wardrobe. However, the wireless was not at all strong in my room - I couldn't logon to the internet at all using wifi. It worked pretty well on the LAN cable, though - no setting changes required or anything, and Skype worked efficiently. You need to get a daily password for internet access, though. And the irritating part was that there were separate passwords for the different floors, and for the lobby, so if you were in the lobby, you had to get a new password from the reception desk. Rooms are non smoking, and you have signs in the rooms asking people to go out into the balcony if they want to smoke. There's an ashtray provided as well.

There were 4 restaurants in the hotel - Chinese, Korean, Indian, and one more, which I forget. I tried room service from the Chinese restaurant one day, and it came pretty promptly, but I didn't really like the food all that much - however, that could have been due to what I ordered, and it being different from the Indianized Chinese I'm used to. Then one day we tried the Korean restaurant, which gave us some absolutely mouthwatering food. The Indian restaurant is the reason a lot of Indians coming to Jakarta stay in this hotel, but we weren't very keen to go outside Indian and eat Indian food, so we skipped that.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was pretty good - when you checked in, you got coupons for breakfast everyday. There was a lot of variety in terms of food - breads, cold cuts, fruits, local food, meat, cakes, pastries, cornflakes, eggs, and there was an Indian food counter there everyday as well. We enjoyed the breakfasts - it was always a good start to the day.

There were other amenities - a gym, a swimming pool, tennis courts, souvenir store - couldn't visit all of those, though. I wanted to try out the swimming pool, but didn't manage to find time - I usually used to get back past 9:00pm, when the pool used to close.

The Sunter lake just in front of the hotel is a manmade lake, decently big, where you have some water sports - I remember seeing people doing water skiing there. There are a few local seafood restaurants immediately outside, but be careful to find out what you're eating before you eat! If you're adventurous, you'll like the local food - we loved it.

The approach to the hotel has roads with big open drains in between the to and fro lanes - we found that a little weird, specially coz there were a LOT of eating joints on the side of the roads. We were told that this wasn't a really upmarket location in Jakarta (this is in North Jakarta, Central and South Jakarta is where all the 'action' happens), but we weren't very far away from there. However, Jakarta traffic can be pretty horrific. We had a couple of big malls not very far away from the hotel as well, and lots of local shops.

Overall, a good place to stay for business travelers - very good value for money, but I don't know if this would be the place you wanna stay in if you're on holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I went and stayed here with my colleagues from Korea from June 28 to July 3. Had a quite pleasant experience. The staffs at reception desk were helpful and willing to help in whichever they could. Though I have to say that a bit more smiles would do them great.

The rooms are all non-smoking, but the rooms that face the lake have balconies where you can smoke (the rooms on the other side might have it too though). My room (Deluxe Suite) was quite big. It's exactly what they pictured on their website: queen size bed, a sofa, a chair, a work desk, wide-screen flat TV, etc. The sleep quality was quite nice, however on my side of the hotel, late night traffic might disturb people with very sensitive ears.

The bathroom didn't exactly suit my taste. The shower was just a cylindrical tube with holes in one side, it got good water pressure, but the design makes the water to spray all over the place, because they didn't have shower curtains. The tub was somewhat dangerous, because it's not fastened, or screwed tightly to the floor or walls. So at one time, I almost flipped the tub, leaning to one side of it to reach for a soap near the sink. What disturb me the most was actually the absence of shower curtains. My bathroom floor was always flooded.

The food was nice. The complimentary breakfast didn't have too many choices, which was good IMHO. They also provided option for vegetarians. Even for vegans.

This hotel is great for business travelers, if you have business around the area. If you're not, or you're just a traveler, this hotel is quite far from downtown Jakarta or any major attractions. If you're Korean or Indian, this hotel might also suit you since they have Indian and Korean restaurants, and from taxi drivers, I found out that both ethnics frequent this hotel very often.

Room Tip: If your ears are sensitive, you might want to choose the side which is away from the lake.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Redbank Plains, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Hubby & I travelled here in August 2009 for a friend's wedding and stayed in this hotel for about 6 days on the 8th level. Although the inside of the hotel itself was quite nice looking and the staff were very attentive, it REAKED of people smoking cigarettes!! Even the restaurant at breakfast was filled with smokers. The only place in the hotel that didn't smell was our own room. It was so bad I had to hold my breath walking through the lobby to the outside. I honestly thought I was going to return home with lung cancer after my stay here.
However, our room was clean, tidy, spacious and we enjoyed it. The bathroom was very nice and clean, the bed was comfortable and the balcony was a good size, although the view was of the polluted skyline and a neighbouring home's dead and dry rooftop garden, haha.
No bible in any of the drawers, but there was an arrow in one pointing to Mecca!
We liked the fact that the hotel offered dry cleaning services very cheap and we took that up on all of our items! Such good value in 2008, don't know about now...
The swimming pool outside was huge and beautiful. We really enjoyed it and made the most of it.
The restaurant had a large selection of Asian foods for breakfast, which is the only time we ate there each day. The coffee, however, was absolutely foul.
Overall, this was a good value-for-money place to stay, but for our health we wouldn't ever go back!

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here in Jan 2012. We had late nights, and some banquet areas booked, as well as a private breakfast for our large party. The hotel is great value for money, and what you get within the rooms far exceeds competitors! They also have a bunch of on-site food options. Traffic around the area is killer, but other than that, enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nishi381
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Having stayed in Ibis previously I found this hotel to be a welcome change. Both Ibis and Lakesun hotel fall in almost the same price range but there is a huge difference in the facilities and room size. To start with almost all Ibis hotels have the same standard room size which according to me is small/cramped. However the room in this hotel are king size with superb view and balcony. The bed in my room was huge, the room service excellent, breakfast was good, pool was nice and lots of options as far as food was concerned(Indian, Korean, Chinese and local). The only drawback might be the fact that it is in north Jakarta, so in case you are coming to Jakarta just for partying then better of staying in a hotel in South Jakarta. Whereas In case you have come on a business trip and need to be in North Jakarta then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo