“Good value hotel”

Ranked #82 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Melbourne
“Good value hotel”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just back from a 4 day business trip to Jakarta. My local business associate suggested I stay at the Grandkemang as it was convenient for him to pick me up each morning. I admit to being hesitant due to seeing the booking details where they won't guarantee a non smoking room. My hesitancy was unwarranted as my request was granted as was the other for a king sized bed. Reception was a quick, professional and friendly affair. My superior room was excellent for size and cleanliness. The large king sized bed was really comfy with great pillows, so a good nights sleep is easy to have. The bathroom was showing its age and was in need of refurbishment with a leaky shower and pretty ordinary shower head. The fitness centre was quite good with a reasonable range of equipment and competent staff. The breakfast, which was included in the tariff, was very good with a great range of western food and efficient staff tending to your needs.
If you're thinking of spending some time in the hotel bar, you'd better enjoy your own company. I had a look in there each night and only ever saw about 3 people in there with absolutely no atmosphere. All things considered it's a pretty good hotel, with good facilities, at a good price point, the negative would be it's a bit out of the way if you want to walk around for some entertainment. I'd quite likely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Michele M, General Manager at grandkemang Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Pingboy,
Thank you for your review and your positive and constructive comments. We are delighted you enjoyed the room and will send someone to check the state of the bathroom. We were most pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service at the restaurant and at the reception as well as our breakfast. The bar "Stanford Arms" at the hotel is not our hotel bar it is a rented space but we will also forward your comments to them, however there are a few bars, pubs, and restaurants in short walking distance. We hope to see you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canggu, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nice hotel, modern and good sized rooms. The hotel is in a good location, near to a few good shops in Kemang and nearly opposite the Eastern Promise bar, which serves incredible Balti curries. The hotel has its own large Irish bar but I've never seen more than a handful of people in there so never really tried it.

1 Thank MarkCarolan
Thank you for your kind trip advisor review and we are delighted to hear that you like our location and rooms. We look forward to seeing you again at grandkemang!
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have made a correct decision to stay here!
Well positioned in the center of most hyped area in Jakarta, where fancy (and not so fancy) restaurants are abundant, stunning clubs are within walking distance, 24 hr coffee shop/ fast food chain is easily accessible, not to mention the astounding malls.
How about the hotel?
Well..I have to give 5 stars rating for the lobby/interior - pool area - foods.
The room is not so special..but pretty much covered your basic needs thou.
It definitely was a pleasant stay!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Michele M, General Manager at grandkemang Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear DodyC,
Thank you very much for your kind review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your five star rating on the lobby and food…we will strive to exceed your expectation on the room in the future!
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Kemang in Jakarta for a four-day forum that gave us plenty of time to sample what this well-regarded hotel in one of Jakarta’s trendiest suburbs has to offer. In spirit of full disclosure, I’ll admit that we were lucky enough to benefit from an all-expenses paid visit, which may have somewhat skewed our favourable impressions!

The buffet at the Grand Kemang, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as for a special brunch service on Sundays, is without a doubt one of the most bountiful (and borderline ridiculous) that I have ever seen. Take breakfast. You are warmly greeted by the hotel staff on your way in, and promptly seated and served your choice of fresh coffee or tea. You are then free to explore the various food stations which include fruit, cereals, muesli, breads, cheese, and hot delights including mushrooms, tomatoes, sausages and potato wedges. Tucked away in corner and very clearly marked, you can even find crispy pieces of bacon and pork sausages, for those of you who have been craving a little more pig in your life.

Feel like something made to order? No problem! Simply head over to the chef bar where you can design your own omelette, have a pancake or waffle cooked fresh, or even have hard boiled eggs cooked to your liking. In case you still haven’t had enough, there are a series of breakfast pastries including donuts, scrolls and even chocolate pudding.

You can read my full review of the Grand Kemang's buffet on my personal blog at: http://eatdrinkcookdo.com/mother-buffets-grand-kemang/

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michele M, General Manager at grandkemang Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear eatdrinkcookdo
Thank you for your amazing comments about our breakfast and our buffet and we really appreciate your post on trip advisor and blog. Your entire post delighted our Chefs team and Restaurant Team as well as we have shared your comments with them.
We hope to welcome you back to grandkemang!
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel and was recommended by friends who lived in the neighbourhood. My first impression was that the lobby was large and impressive. Service and check-in process was efficient and friendly.

On arriving at my room, it was very cold so I checked the temperature of the air-conditioning and it was set at 30 degrees! Obviously, the previous occupant of this room tried to warm it up as well! I got around this penguin temperature by just switching it off!

There didn’t seem to be any spare blankets in the room either?

The room was pretty basic with no bathtub but with the basic amenities. There were only two bath towels hanging on a rack that was loose and about to fall off the wall, so where were the handtowels and face flannels? I think the owners should consider a refurbishment before too long!

The complimentary internet worked well but why do I need to reset this every 15 minutes or so? That got a bit frustrating!

There were no power sockets around the desk so had to disconnect the water jug to use that point as the alternative was to unplug the desk lamp!

There seem to be fleas accompanying me in this room too as I’ve been bitten a couple of times!

My room faced the rear of the hotel and street noises started permeating up at 5am waking me so that might be a consideration if you’re a light sleeper.

Laundry is very good value at 120,000 IDR (around US$10) to dry-clean my suit that I’d dropped food on at dinner the previous night!

Breakfast was absolutely excellent and certainly something there for everyone including crispy bacon!

Then came the lunch buffet only a couple of hours after breakfast! The roast lamb was scrumptious and there were so many dishes to choose from, including a freezer full of ice cream! Unfortunately, I was still full from breakfast so I really didn’t get very good value from this!

Traffic can be very heavy around this area but also unpredictable! I needed to go down to Pekanbaru for a day so just kept my booking and left my luggage in the room and it took nearly two hours to get to the airport but then when I returned again the following day at 0700 which was peak hour, it only took an hour, perhaps because the hotel driver knew all the short-cuts and how to avoid the traffic jams!

Would I return? Well, there are pros and cons as always! The pro being it’s a pleasant area to walk around in with the extra traffic issues going to and from the airport being a significant downside.

Room Tip: I stayed in 344 but I passed other rooms and they looked a lot larger so if I return here, I'd g...
Dear RayC888
Thank you so much for your very honest posting on trip advisor with both positive and constructive feedback. In regards to all of your comments on the room, thank you for giving us your room number as we have asked the teams to check and bring Room 344 back to excellent condition. In regards to the towels and the internet I must apologise for this as all of our rooms have bath, hand, and face towels. The internet you should not be logging in every 15 minutes and we will check why this would happen since this is very rare that we have heard of this. As your room is a grand deluxe, there is no bathtub in the room but some of our rooms do have bathtubs.
Thank you very much for your very positive comments on our food especially our breakfast.
We hope to welcome you at grandkemang despite your stay having pros and cons!
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have known this fine South Jakarta-Hotel for a long time and I have probably spent more than 100 nights in total.
Stayed there mostly as a business traveler, but recently also privately. It’s a fantastic hotel.
Location is perfect (South Jakarta – in the heart of Kemang), rooms are clean and spacious, Food is over average, nice pool and gym.
The only negative thing I can think of, is the noise when there is a privat function around the pool area. (Happens usually on a weekend).
In that case, make sure your room faces the other side.
Staff has always been helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Michele M, General Manager at grandkemang Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Badabing888,
Thank you very much for your positive comments on tripadvisor in regards to location and rooms and facilities. In regards to the private events, we are trying to minimise the use of the pool and other general areas for events and refer them to our ballroom.
I look forward to welcoming you back to grandkemang!
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The room was comfortable, not lavish. My sink was pulling away from its setting and I found hairs from previous person who stayed. Bed was so--so in comfort. The breakfast however and food there in general was very good. The options for breakfast went for miles! The service was also very good. There were plenty of rooms and areas for business meetings or just sitting down with friends.

Room Tip: Backside of hotel is quieter for rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nutrinut,
Thank you so much for your comment on trip advisor and your delightful comments about our food and service. I was not happy to hear though that our room was not in good condition. I will arrange to have closer checks done on the housekeeping and engineering issues you experienced as each room should be closely checked to avoid the issues you have mentioned.
I do hope we can welcome you back at grandkemang!