“Jakarta”
Review of Kemang Icon Hotel

Kemang Icon Hotel
Ranked #155 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Located in South of Jakarta, one of the best resort having only 12 suites. Just if you plan to visit and book this please book well in advance. It is in heart of South Jakarta, the market is very near. The Hotel rooms are good, the restaurant is just attached with Swimming pool which makes the ambience more wonderful. The lacking is I could not find in rooms, dental kit, comb, shaving kit near the dressing table. Nor I could find dustbin near the commode to throw in tissue paper :). The food quality is good. The hospitality of hotel is to be appreciated. Can enjoy you stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear MMD1611,

Warm Greetings – Happy to hear that you are back home. Thank you for your kind words and I have taken your comments to heart and will continue to improve our guest amenities. Please write to be directly via that details that were given in person for your next visit here to the City.
We hope to welcome you back very Soon !

Regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed for one night. It was great experience until me and my partner planned to have dinner there. The place is great with relaxing atmosphere. However, the service we received for our dinner was disappointing. As we loved the place. I made reservation 2 weeks in advance and it was OK. On the day of our reservation, I wanted to confirm our visit once more and wanted to order our meal before we arrived. But on that day, I had to call 4 times until the restaurant staff could talk to me. When I was succeed to get trough, they said my name was not on the list and the restaurant was already full. It was very bad service. They should not do that again and wr hope other will not expereince this.

• Stayed: June 2013
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Nugrahani,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Edge with us. I have since taken over as the new custodian of Kemang Icon since your visit here last June. We have revamped all F&B at the hotel and are continuing to improve the Hotel services and amenities. I would love to invite you back here with us and thus please write to me directly via jtorai(at)alilahotels.com and I will personally take care of the rest.

Regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night whilst visiting friends in Kemang. After a few teething troubles getting to the hotel - car wasn't there to pick me up from airport and the I got a taxi to the Alila Hotel in central Jakarta - despite telling the taxi driver I wanted to go to Kemang and giving him the correct address. Despite these issues which I wouldn't entirely discount as being my fault rather than the hotels or the taxi drivers the hotel at first glance seemed very good. Very boutique style place in the heart of Kemang which is fairly expat heavy for Jakarta if that's the sort of area your after. However, you soon get to notice that despite the interesting decor, the rooms felt a bit aged and in need of a refurb e.g. desk coming apart, black marks on the ceilings around the lights, some furniture a little worn. The room was large and open plan which was nice if you can get used to the toilet being open plan as well, albeit with a movable screen in front of it.

For the money I think there are probably better options in Kemang area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ecosse_Unique
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Ecosse_Unique,

Warm Greetings from your KIA Family.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. The traffic in Jakarta is a living-breathing phenomenon that is hard to understand by all, even residents.

Having recently taken over I am very happy to announce that we have now refurbished all our suites and all areas of the hotel. I would love you to experience our newly refurbished and thus please contact me directly for your next visit (hopefully soon).

My Team and myself look forward to welcoming you again back here at Kemang Icon by Alila

Sincere Regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Two individuals worthy of mention : Brandon who is the expatriate chef and doubles as a good host. Novi at reception who is very attentive.

The only thing you cannot argue with is the generous size of the rooms. Double glazed windows keeps the street noise out so it's a quiet relaxing retreat. The windows need a good cleaning though.

Proper desk and kitchenette is a nice touch. Lighting is adjustable with a remote control. Large tv and surround sound system but it had an old iPhone connector which made it unusable for me.

The bathroom is huge, but a little tired with cracked glass tabletop and mouldy spots in the shower. No toothbrush, manicure set nor sewing kit for those who still sew. Toilet has no bidet.

Coffee in room is a very finely ground variety not suitable for the coffee maker in the room. Still it's better than the instant garbage offered at most premium hotels in Indonesia. There should rather be a coffee filter or pod machine. There is no creamer in the room and when requested I was told that the restaurant is closed. 8 pm. When I rejected that, I was told that they will check with housekeeping - no response. It took a visit to reception to get it sorted and promptly a few millilitres of milk was provided.

There was some confusion about the internet password but quickly solved. Internet service is the best I've experienced in a local hotel.

The dining / bar / pool area is squeezed into a fairly tight space. We were offered the buffet by one, only to be told by another that no seating is available leaving us to sit at the tiny bar which looked untidy with bottles scattered everywhere. Drinks menu on a soiled piece of paper with limited cocktail options. Bar tenders appeared rushed and often no one behind the bar. They even forgot to charge for the drinks. Well deserved.

Breakfast is ala carte. They forgot the juices. No offer to refill coffee - general lack of interest - Brandon made great eggs but the only person attending to the table was an unsmiling lady moving about like a sloth with an untidy appearance

There is no lounge area.

There appears to be no room service menu or service per se - no directory for phone numbers.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Herbert1234
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very different from any other hotel I have been to. Just stayed in Pullman, another artsy hotel, and this one is different. It is like staying in an art gallery. The staff was beyond friendly. They cater to you left and right. Incredible. But the hotel needs proper maintenance. Our room was full of mosquitos, and behind the AC unit and shower fixture you see water damage and the room smells mustiness. There are broken glass windows fixed only with a tape, and my breakfast champignons were moldy. Otherwise, the room was clean. Buy bottled water as they only give you small bottles. Bring ear plugs so you don't wake up to the morning prayer calls. Across the street is a great spa - we went for a wonderful aromatherapy massage and facial. Restaurants and clubs in the neighborhood though watch out walking and crossing the street. Kemang can be crazy during rush hour.

Room Tip: Ask to see the available rooms before you choose. Each room is different.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tjandra1
joshuatorai, Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear tjandra1,

Warm Greeting from Kemang Icon. I thank you for the kind words and your valued feedback. My sincere apologies for the lapses in service during your stay. We have begun refurbishing all the rooms & suites here at the Hotel as they indeed needed some loving attention and plan to have this complete by 2014 to usher in a rejuvenated year for all of our valued guests. I would love to have you in one of our newly done suites upon your return. A new menu is also rolling out that we are very excited about. Please write to me at jtorai(at)alilahotels.com as I await to personally assist you in your return.

Our Sincere Gratitude in taking the time to review us.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Amid the bustle and the traffic of Jakarta is a gorgeous hotel with incredibly gracious and attentive management and staff. The rooms are spacious and clean with a modern decor, but the personal touch made all the difference. We loved our stay at the Icon by Alila!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeff O,

Warm Greeting from Kemang Icon. Thank you for your kind words as we aim to reach greater heights with all our guests!!

Again Our Sincere gratitude in taking the time to review us.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've always known the Kemang icon; it was completed just before I moved to Jakarta. So, at first, Kemang Icon was one of my regular stops, on my way back home from meetings in CBD. Back then, I would go straight to the edge, sit back on the rooftop, enjoy the view, do my things or gather with friends.
That is still a good way to enjoy the place -if You call too late and it's fully booked-.
But better You call early so You can stay there.
Now that I no longer live in Jakarta and have to fly back there, the place has become my second home.
I do business there, have partners for dinner or breakfast on the rooftop, and, same time, my Jakartan friends are glad dropping by to share a drink.
The value for me is just great.
There is also something : back in 2006, the building design and the interior were a breakthrough, especially in Kemang area. Eight years later, it still is, though Jakarta has evolved and transformed so much into this vibrant and unique City. So no doubt there is something special about the Icon.
Love this place !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Francois P,

Warm Greeting from Kemang Icon by Alila. Thank you for your very heartfelt words and your vigor for our Hotel. You will be very pleased to know that we have begun refurbishing all the rooms & suites here at the hotel and thus, would love to have you in them upon your next visit to Jakarta. Please write to me at jtorai(at)alilahotels.com so I can personally take care of your next stay.

Again Our Sincere gratitude in taking the time to review us.

Warm Regards from your Family here at KI.