“Trendy hotel in Jakarta”
Review of Kemang Icon Hotel

Kemang Icon Hotel
Ranked #143 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Oslo, Norway
“Trendy hotel in Jakarta”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Friendly and trendy hotel in Jakarta. Nice big rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Lots of restaurants nearby. Exellent breakfast at the roof. A small hotel with only 12 rooms. Every room is different.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Marianne K,

Warm Greetings from your KIA Family!!

Thank you for taking the time to review us with warm comments. I hope that you are back to the hustle and bustle safe and sound.

My team and myself look forward to welcoming you again back here – But this time we require more pool time form you !!

Sincere Regards,
JT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Yohana and I decided that we wanted a weekend break. We both work hard and sometimes it's nice to just kick back and relax. So it was that we decided to book an overnight in Jakarta and, on searching around the net, we found the Kemang Icon.

Run by the Alila group of hotels, the Icon doesn't look much from the outside but once in the suite we were really impressed. The interior decoration, the complimentary ipod with pre installed play lists, the huge bathtub and glass panelled shower/toilet, the huge desk, the relaxing sofa, the sizeable bed and goose feather pillows, the exposed concrete ceiling, the carefully placed lighting. It all added to a great first impression.

Sure on a closer look the room showed signs of wear and tear (weird scratches on the bottom of the bathtub, for instance) but a small thing when compared to the overall experience.

The service was discreet but speedy enough when needed (the wifi wasn't working and the ipod was locked out on arrival) and it would have been nice to know in advance about the Sweet 17th party that comandeered the 5th floor pool and restaurant. Still, the weather wasn't really conducive for swimming so not just the thought of doing my Baywatch impression in front of a load of kids.

Would i recommend the Icon? absolutely. It's bang in the middle of Kemang, which allows you to sample all of the varied nightlife the area has to offer, along with a great room to boot.

In conversation with the head chef Brandon, the restaurant is doing well, but apart from breakfast, a very good Nasi Goreng with fruit juice and coffee, I couldn't comment on that side of the operation.

All 12 rooms at the Icon are suites, we stayed in an Edge Suite and got a good price from Agoda. Give it a try if you want a romantic stay for two or a business suite with a difference.

Only thing I found a bit odd, and this is a personal thing, there was nothing stopping your other half watching you use the loo!

Room Tip: I haven't seen an ordinary suite, but the Edge suite in which we stayed, 'Infini', was a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear SatchmoStoker,

Warm Greetings from your Family here at Kemang Icon by Alila.

I am happy to hear that your stay left a positive impression. I have taken over from the previous GM and improving product and services here at the Icon. My apologies for not pre-communicating the event that was booked prior to your arrival. Your comments on the needed improvements to the bathtub have been taken to heart and will be acted on. It was a pleasure having you here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back !!

Again Our Sincere gratitude in taking the time to review us.

Warm Regards,
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Located in South of Jakarta, one of the best resort having only 12 suites. Just if you plan to visit and book this please book well in advance. It is in heart of South Jakarta, the market is very near. The Hotel rooms are good, the restaurant is just attached with Swimming pool which makes the ambience more wonderful. The lacking is I could not find in rooms, dental kit, comb, shaving kit near the dressing table. Nor I could find dustbin near the commode to throw in tissue paper :). The food quality is good. The hospitality of hotel is to be appreciated. Can enjoy you stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear MMD1611,

Warm Greetings – Happy to hear that you are back home. Thank you for your kind words and I have taken your comments to heart and will continue to improve our guest amenities. Please write to be directly via that details that were given in person for your next visit here to the City.
We hope to welcome you back very Soon !

Regards,
Jakar, Bhutan
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed for one night. It was great experience until me and my partner planned to have dinner there. The place is great with relaxing atmosphere. However, the service we received for our dinner was disappointing. As we loved the place. I made reservation 2 weeks in advance and it was OK. On the day of our reservation, I wanted to confirm our visit once more and wanted to order our meal before we arrived. But on that day, I had to call 4 times until the restaurant staff could talk to me. When I was succeed to get trough, they said my name was not on the list and the restaurant was already full. It was very bad service. They should not do that again and wr hope other will not expereince this.

• Stayed June 2013
joshuatorai, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Nugrahani,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Edge with us. I have since taken over as the new custodian of Kemang Icon since your visit here last June. We have revamped all F&B at the hotel and are continuing to improve the Hotel services and amenities. I would love to invite you back here with us and thus please write to me directly via jtorai(at)alilahotels.com and I will personally take care of the rest.

Regards,
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night whilst visiting friends in Kemang. After a few teething troubles getting to the hotel - car wasn't there to pick me up from airport and the I got a taxi to the Alila Hotel in central Jakarta - despite telling the taxi driver I wanted to go to Kemang and giving him the correct address. Despite these issues which I wouldn't entirely discount as being my fault rather than the hotels or the taxi drivers the hotel at first glance seemed very good. Very boutique style place in the heart of Kemang which is fairly expat heavy for Jakarta if that's the sort of area your after. However, you soon get to notice that despite the interesting decor, the rooms felt a bit aged and in need of a refurb e.g. desk coming apart, black marks on the ceilings around the lights, some furniture a little worn. The room was large and open plan which was nice if you can get used to the toilet being open plan as well, albeit with a movable screen in front of it.

For the money I think there are probably better options in Kemang area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ecosse_Unique
Dear Ecosse_Unique,

Warm Greetings from your KIA Family.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. The traffic in Jakarta is a living-breathing phenomenon that is hard to understand by all, even residents.

Having recently taken over I am very happy to announce that we have now refurbished all our suites and all areas of the hotel. I would love you to experience our newly refurbished and thus please contact me directly for your next visit (hopefully soon).

My Team and myself look forward to welcoming you again back here at Kemang Icon by Alila

Sincere Regards,
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Two individuals worthy of mention : Brandon who is the expatriate chef and doubles as a good host. Novi at reception who is very attentive.

The only thing you cannot argue with is the generous size of the rooms. Double glazed windows keeps the street noise out so it's a quiet relaxing retreat. The windows need a good cleaning though.

Proper desk and kitchenette is a nice touch. Lighting is adjustable with a remote control. Large tv and surround sound system but it had an old iPhone connector which made it unusable for me.

The bathroom is huge, but a little tired with cracked glass tabletop and mouldy spots in the shower. No toothbrush, manicure set nor sewing kit for those who still sew. Toilet has no bidet.

Coffee in room is a very finely ground variety not suitable for the coffee maker in the room. Still it's better than the instant garbage offered at most premium hotels in Indonesia. There should rather be a coffee filter or pod machine. There is no creamer in the room and when requested I was told that the restaurant is closed. 8 pm. When I rejected that, I was told that they will check with housekeeping - no response. It took a visit to reception to get it sorted and promptly a few millilitres of milk was provided.

There was some confusion about the internet password but quickly solved. Internet service is the best I've experienced in a local hotel.

The dining / bar / pool area is squeezed into a fairly tight space. We were offered the buffet by one, only to be told by another that no seating is available leaving us to sit at the tiny bar which looked untidy with bottles scattered everywhere. Drinks menu on a soiled piece of paper with limited cocktail options. Bar tenders appeared rushed and often no one behind the bar. They even forgot to charge for the drinks. Well deserved.

Breakfast is ala carte. They forgot the juices. No offer to refill coffee - general lack of interest - Brandon made great eggs but the only person attending to the table was an unsmiling lady moving about like a sloth with an untidy appearance

There is no lounge area.

There appears to be no room service menu or service per se - no directory for phone numbers.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Herbert1234
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very different from any other hotel I have been to. Just stayed in Pullman, another artsy hotel, and this one is different. It is like staying in an art gallery. The staff was beyond friendly. They cater to you left and right. Incredible. But the hotel needs proper maintenance. Our room was full of mosquitos, and behind the AC unit and shower fixture you see water damage and the room smells mustiness. There are broken glass windows fixed only with a tape, and my breakfast champignons were moldy. Otherwise, the room was clean. Buy bottled water as they only give you small bottles. Bring ear plugs so you don't wake up to the morning prayer calls. Across the street is a great spa - we went for a wonderful aromatherapy massage and facial. Restaurants and clubs in the neighborhood though watch out walking and crossing the street. Kemang can be crazy during rush hour.

Room Tip: Ask to see the available rooms before you choose. Each room is different.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tjandra1
joshuatorai, Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear tjandra1,

Warm Greeting from Kemang Icon. I thank you for the kind words and your valued feedback. My sincere apologies for the lapses in service during your stay. We have begun refurbishing all the rooms & suites here at the Hotel as they indeed needed some loving attention and plan to have this complete by 2014 to usher in a rejuvenated year for all of our valued guests. I would love to have you in one of our newly done suites upon your return. A new menu is also rolling out that we are very excited about. Please write to me at jtorai(at)alilahotels.com as I await to personally assist you in your return.

Our Sincere Gratitude in taking the time to review us.

Warm Regards,