“Great staff and a great hotel”

Somerset Grand Citra
Ranked #289 of 465 Hotels in Jakarta
Brisbane, Australia
“Great staff and a great hotel”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I stayed in a two-bedroom deluxe apartment in September 2011 for eight nights. I was initially apprehensive due to the negative reviews that I read here. I am glad to say that my experience was very different to the negative reviews, and that this would be my hotel of choice when I return to Jakarta.

The apartment was very big and spacious. The kitchen was fully equipped with appliances, cooking pots and utensils, crockery and cutlery, all maintained to a good standard. The integrated clothes washer and drier was very useful. The hotel provided dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent. There was a maid's room with a separate bathroom. In fact, the two-bedroom apartment had three functional bathrooms. The dining room, lounge room, flat screen TV and TV in the master bedroom made the apartment comfortable.

The gym was quite impressive, with a cardio room on the ground floor and a weights room and sauna on the first floor. The hotel has two tennis courts and an attractive pool. Exercise classes are conducted every morning in an aerobics room.

The apartment was serviced every day, and my only problem was that the air conditioner in the second bedroom did not work. The staff repaired this promptly when I alerted them to the problem. I found that using the telephone to ask for help was not as effective as visiting staff at the reception desk.

All of the staff in the hotel demonstrated a high standard of service, and most could communicate in English. The temperature in the breakfast room was quite warm, however the breakfast buffet provided a reasonable range of choices from hot food, to continental breakfast choices, salad, fruits and juices.

The location is not ideal at present, with major road construction hampering road traffic in front of the hotel, and noisy construction of three multi-storey towers next door to the hotel. Despite these limitations, I appreciated the convenience of the two shopping malls across the street and the small shop in the hotel lobby.

Overall I rate this hotel and good value for money, with impressive staff and impressive apartment and hotel facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 August 2011

When I came to Jakarta with my family in July-August 2009, I already stayed a few times, each several days, at Somerset Grand Citra. Each of our stay, especially upon check-in, I always had several problems each apartment as well as in the breakfast room.

In July this year, I came to Jakarta again and stayed twice at Somerset Grand Citra, each stay was a few days. They still had the same problems as two years ago.

As I was always very busy and had very tight schedules in Indonesia, most of the time I could only check-in late at night, sometimes even around or after midnight as I arrived from different cities in Indonesia. It means most apartments were already occupied. Despite I always made my booking a few days in advance but I never got an apartment without any problem.

Once I checked in and got a two bedroom apartment in which the air condition in both bedrooms were broken and the engineering couldn't repair it anymore. Then I got another apartment in which the air condition in one of the bedroom was broken. Finally I got the third choice in which all air conditions were all working out well. Then we took that apartment. At the end it took almost two hours of the check-in until I could enter the apartment. I have two kids and one of them is just three years old and was already very tired. It was very unfortunate check-in.

Unfortunately the reading lamps in the master bedroom were broken so that the engineering staffs had to come and fix them. Also there were no hand towels at all in both bathrooms and the house keeping said that they couldn't give me hand towels anymore that night. The towels in both bathrooms were already very old and ripped-off. These towels were not proper anymore to be used in an exclusive apartment with high standard of price. The dishes in the kitchen were very ugly and too little for a two bedroom apartment. In 2009 the towels and dishes were still nice enough.

The air condition in the breakfast restaurant was also not working well. Every morning was always too hot in there. On top of it there were too many guests and not enough tables for all guests so that people had to wait too long to get a table. The breakfast room just didn't have enough capacity for the amount of guests that they had. Especially because all long staying guests + their families as well as short staying guests + their families had breakfast in that only one restaurant.

People also had to wait for a long time to order egg dishes as there are only two cooks did all the cooking for how many hundreds of people. The food was often empty and the staff didn't fill them fast enough.

The matrasses in the bedrooms were all already too old and not good to sleep anymore. There are also only two cushions provided for king size bed and one for single bed. no spare cushion & blanket provided at all. The worse was that those cushions were all very old and not good to sleep on anymore. Whereas in most hotels nowdays there are so many nice new cushions provided in the bed more that needed and there are always spare cushions & blankets in the cabinets usually.

On top of it around the area of Somerset Grand Citra there is a construction site of a fly over road that made the traffic jam really bad the whole day even until midnight time.

What I like most from Somerset Grand Citra that the location is very central that it's very easy to go to most part of Jakarta. Especially most staffs of Somerset Grand Citra are very friendly and helpful. They really try to accomodate my needs and always give help as much as they can. These make me feel like home when I stay at Somerset Grand Citra. Especially Mrs. Lucia J. Werry, Assistant Residence Manager, who is always very friendly and helpful to me. Free parking is also provided as I always had a car and a driver when I come to Jakarta.

There's a spare laundry room in the apartment that can be used for driver's room in case if the driver doesn't want to sleep in the driver room in the parking garage. Accross the street there is Ambassador Mall where people can shop for clothing, electronics and lots of good restaurants. It's very practical if you need to buy some good food and want to eat in the apartment.

Hence Somerset Grand Citra really needs total refusbishments urgently. They also should prepare and check an apartment before the guests arrive to make sure that everything is there and all equipments are working out well. It seems there's no general check before they give the apartment to their guests because I experienced these bad check-in almost all the time everytime I stayed at Somerset Grand Citra.

Room Tip: Centrally located, friendly and helpful staffs, good value for money but already old and needs total...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank O-Rular
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This is my second time staying here. I was shockingly disappointed. The room they gave us was old. Rooms were gloomy with few fused light bulbs, air-conditioning in the living room was blowing normal warm air, kitchen appliances does not work and etc. Breakfast is also a mad rush. So many guests and hardly enough food for all and replenishment is slow. Having said that, the staff are courteous. Basically Somerset should upgrade this hotel and refurbish it. Otherwise it gives a bad name to its brand. Other Somersets in Singapore, HCM, Manila and etc that I have stayed are reasonably well maintained. Buck Up!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tony Y

Travellers are raving about these Jakarta hotels

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Hello,
It is a hotel residence, means long stay. i'm staying there for a long period (already 4 months) but i doing a check out every week means that i never have the same room.
For this reason i can give a full perspective on this residence for the room and the employees.
Regarding employees they are really nice and always trying to go their best at the reception but also and in particular the maintenance team.
But the probnlem in this residence if that they are employing a lot of training, sometime more trainees than the normal staff.
Regarding room, they are good in term of size, but don't believe to cook in this residence. You have nothing and the equipment is so old and not usefull.
The maintenance of the building is really bad. Every week i have a problem with the room. Windows not able to close or to open, air cond not working, impossible to connect to internet, leak in the bathroom, electic problem, water with brown color, curtains impossible to close, .....
You have to call the maintenance staff, they are really efficience and repair it fast.
And to finish, the location is good if you are working like me to mega kuningan, because you can walk, but this residence is closed to the jalan satrio and it is really noisy area, plus they are building an appartment building in the other side and they are working 24h per day.
Means that it is better to have windows well closed.
I stay here because it is the only place close to my job, but really, try to avoid it. better to pay more and to go to ritz carlton or marriott if it is for a short stay.
Íf you are a group you can use the transportation provided, otherwise don't use it it is the double of the limousine taxi and 3 times more than a normal taxi

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 13 March 2011

It was very pleasant experience when we stayed in Grand Citra. Hotel is close to Ambassdor Mall and accessible. Security is excellent. Children loved to stay and did not want to leave the comfort of the hotel. Staff and service was excellent, rooms are big and well maintained.

Bed, washing machine, fridge, kitchen, everything is maintained world class.

Small convenience store in the ground floor is a blessing. Overall we decided that we will stay only in the Ascott maintained property around the world.

Thanks to Grand Citra for making our holiday and wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Shivasangaran
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 January 2011

me and my family stay in 2 bedroom deluxe, and we paid the apartment there is no cofirmation from sommerset. and when we check in we've been told that our master bedrooms AC was damaged.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Citera
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 December 2010

my family with 3 kids found this place to be an affordable excellent accommodation. We booked the 2 bedroom executive apartment, it has 1 spare room for ironing and even a maid's room at the back. Its quite spacious for an apartment and it has all the basic necessities including an equipped kitchen and washing machine. Ok TV was old fashion, no LCD here but not a big issue for me as it has most channels I like :)
I like the location, its just across ITC Kuningan and Ambassador mall, even though the road in front of it was usually jammed I still think it is manageable.
Breakfast was adequate, not fancy or excessive and food outlets are available in the mall across the street. Bebek Selamet and Soto Betawi outlet are 5 minutes down the road. Even if you fancy cooking there is a Carrefour in the mall or you can get some stuff in the minimarket at the apartment.
I have no complaints at all on this place, service is good, check in was fast, staff very friendly and helpful and I would go there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family