Puri Artha Hotel
Cancelon
Jambuluwuk Malioboro(Yogyakarta)
US$37
TripAdvisor
All reviewscrossing the roadstop traffictraditional hoteloverlooking the gardenhot watershort staywould stay againrooms are spaciousjavanese stylebreakfast spreadmain buildinglaundry servicehotel is locatedfamily vacationwi fiexcellent hotelpleasant stay
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel provides very good value for the money. It has a nice swimming pool and restaurant. If you want old Javanese charm this is the place. The staff was courteous and helpful. It is located between the airport and sultan`s palace. You will have to take a taxi downtown or to the airport.

Room Tip: Avoid road side rooms due to noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

It was ironic that after checking out and whilst waiting for my car, I thought I would write this review. But the Internet was down. Welcome to Indonesia, the country that has stolen my heart despite its frustrations with infrastructure.

The Puri Artha Hotel in Yogyakarta is actually very good value considering the price one pays. It also has some other very good points:

* The swimming pool is lovely. Clean, private and a nice place to relax after a busy day.
* The location. Perfectly situated in the student areas this hotel is ideal for people here studying Bahasa Indonesia or wanting to try some of the hundreds of great restaurants that offer lovely food at incredibly cheap prices.
* The staff. Typical for Indonesia, the staff at this hotel were excellent. Also very helpful.
* Gardens. The hotel offers lovely and well kept gardens set in a typical Javanese structure.

On the downside, new travellers to Indonesia may find this hotel a little tired, with toilets that sometimes smell and small things like old tubular TV's. Not a big issue but be aware of this.

The wifi is free and mostly it works well; unless you are wanting to write a review that is . :)

So mixed feelings about the overall assessment of this hotel, but I guess in the end the question is, would I ever stay here in the future. And my answer is, Yes.

So I guess that says it all?

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room or if possible a room that overlooks the pool area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank pisang
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We arrived after a whole day of Borobudur-Ullen Sentalu-Prambanan at 18.00, only to be told that they did not have our booking (was booked 3 days ago). It was left up to me to prove that I had a booking. I was given different instructions (such as send the email to us; no print it out; no fwd to us because printer does not work etc) When I fwded the email, the man at the desk did not address us for 8-10 mins, leaving us standing. Then he took the payment from me. When I asked him if I could first look at the room, he said no!
Our room was 'on the other side' of the busy street where the hotel stands. The swimming pool was on our side but the reception and restaurant on the other. People who stay here have to cross the road in their swimming trunks and towels to get to their rooms!
The internet did not work. i called them and they promised to send someone with the password (! why not just tell me!) but nobody came for the whole night and I got the password from my neighbour.
Rooms are dirty as hell.
When we asked for a car hire to see Merapi sulphur slopes, the man at the desk quoted 500000! Bearing in mind we had paid 600,000 for a whole day of Boro-Prambanan-Sentallu!
Staff was okay (except the receptionists). We avoided any more business with them, and used a local laundry and Thai resto for dining.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sagarak9
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel is so visually beautiful with high quality traditional javanese woodcarving furniture that it is worth the stay for this alone. The service here was very good and i was happy to receive a breakfast pack to take away since we had an early flight and would miss the buffet breakfast. On the downside the bathroom was a bit smelly and the hot water is turned off between 10pm-4am which due to my early morning flight I had a cold shower. Having said that I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

After having stayed in the hustle of Jakarta & Bandung, arriving at Puri Artha gave us the feeling our holiday finally really started. The Javanese/ Balinese style is beautiful and there were fish and plants everywhere in the hotel, which gave us the feeling we were outside the city. The kids felt like Diego & Dora. Our room was at the ground floor and had a small terrace (2 chairs), which was very nice when the kids were sleeping. From the chairs. we looked at a small bridge, beautiful plants and flowers and a small pond.

The room was quite small for the four of us (1 baby cot) and a big travelling bag, but it fit in. The beds were fine. The staff was very nice and helpful. The bathroom was quite warm and I killed quite some mosquitos and big flies there. The room felt too cold when we kept the aircon on during the day, but keeping it off gave mosquitoes the chance to settle down. So use repellent, even in your room.

The restaurant in Javanese/ Balinese style and music performances were nice. Breakfast was okay. Dinner took a while sometimes but was in a nice atmosphere, inside or in the nice garden (with pond).

The pool - which was across the road for us- was nice. There's a small baby pool and you could order drinks if you'd want. There are a couple of chairs and it was just perfect to take a dip after a long and dusty day in and around the city.

The location was fine, there's an italian place across the road where you can eat pasta or a sandwich and there's a laundry closeby. Malioboro road is really close with a cab. We arranged a trip to Borobodur & Prambanan through the hotel: really easy, nice car/driver and both are a must-see when you're in Yogya.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family