“More interesting than I thought”

Presidential Palace
Ranked #85 of 272 things to do in Yogyakarta
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our tour proved to be more interesting than I could have imagined. We toured though looking at photographs through history, gifts to the Sultan from other countries, and learing about tradition. It was a wonderful tour.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A palace looks like a museum, it can be very interesting for people who like museums, but for me it seems boring. Half an hour is enough to see it.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have been to this palace because it was in the city centre and nearby all attractions. I was wondering how the sultan lives and lived in the past, so a short visit would be nice, I thought. When I arrived the whole place was full of Indonesian students, tourists etc. It was not the best place to look around and find out how the sultan in Yogjakarta lives. It looks OK from the outside, but when you are inside with all other people; you wish you was somewhere else!

1  Thank Dirk Jan H
Reviewed 18 February 2013

unable to visit it, it's hard to give an opinion, but from outside it looks very nice. you pass it on the way to Vredeburg

1  Thank Fedde S
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We did some shopping at the Plaza Ambarrukmo. Prices are reasonable, so was the food although some of the cooked food is not to our standard, especially those in the Food Mall. The ones at the restaurants fared much better, of course a little higher in prices, but worth the try.

We also did our shopping at Galleria – a 15-20 minutes taxi ride from Royal Ambarrukmo Yogyakarta. I loved the Matarhari store in Galleria – a middle class store with lots of clothes and shoes, handbags,etc. Here are fixed prices… a relief, save your breath and headache!

We also went to the famous Maliboro Street. This is where your bargaining skills come to use, if you have any. Sometimes it can be quite a “turn-off”. Everything can be bargained! Don’t buy the first thing that you saw. Try to walk around first. I saw a batik hand-phone cover with a long sling. Quite unique and pretty. and the asking price before bargain = Rp20,000. After bargaining Rp 10,000. I declined the offer. A few more steps the same thing cost Rp15,000. Another few more steps, the same thing costs Rp10,000 in a departmental store. At the end, found the same thing cost Rp 6,000 in another departmental store – with air conditioning thrown in!

We did some sight-seeing at the world famous Borobudur. We hired a car with driver from the Hotel to Borobudur. Entrance fee Rp 190,000. After a few walks around the Borobudur, that’s all about it - nothing spectacular! Just another tourist attraction with expensive entrance fee. Definitely not worth a second visit.

Prior to reaching the above site, there’s lots of stalls selling the same things that Maliboro Street has to offer – from clothes, T-shirts, hats, bags, sunglasses, etc. The difference – it is not crowded as Maliboro Street – better walkway/alleyway for walking, seeing and shopping! Verdict: Loved the shopping there more, then the Borobudur itself!