“good foundation but major issues to resolve”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yogyakarta
Rumah Boedi Pavilion Yogyakarta
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is a somewhat charming little place with reasonably nice rooms. The gardens are full of greenery. It's quiet enough at night, though there's lots of traffic noise during the day. The staff are friendly, try to be helpful, and are happy to take time to give detailed directions on how to get around and sightsee. The hotel is conveniently close to a bus stop. It's also just a 15 minute walk from the major shopping district Malioboro and then another few minutes from there to one of the major tourist attractions in town, Kraton.

While the good points are many, there are two things that are huge deal breakers about this place. One is the guy who's the only person on duty some of the time is not an English speaker. Are you an Indonesian speaker? You'll need to be when you want help and this guy is the only person around, because he will try to speak Indonesian with you and won't understand more than an occasional word of your English.

You might think, well I probably won't need help with anything so it's not an issue. Well in my case, there was a major problem with mosquitoes. I was very careful not to leave doors and windows open at all, but there were lots of mosquitoes in the room already when I checked in. I killed a bunch but there were always more. These mosquitoes produced very uncomfortable, itchy welts on my body when they bit me. The discomfort of the bites and the sound of mosquitoes literally buzzing next to my ear preparing to land kept me up all night. I literally only got 3 hours of sleep after a full day of international travel. Miserable!

Not sure why this hotel doesn't have mosquito nets set up over the beds like hotels in SE Asia usually do unless the rooms are set up to be inaccessible to mosquitoes, which my room definitely is not. The windows are wood frames that don't make a complete seal, and of course mosquitoes can easily find the gaps.

I tried to explain to the guy on duty what was going on and had to use my Indonesian phrasebook to communicate to him my request for a mosquito net or some bug spray. I normally refuse to use any kind of bug spray due to health concerns and finding chemicals unpleasant but it was either that or another sleepless night because he had no mosquito net to offer. In any case, he also had no bug spray, and instead gave me an electrical device to plug into the wall that slow-released an insecticide or repellant that made me sneeze and gave me a stuffy nose and smelled a bit unpleasant.

Not having a good mosquito net already set up around the bed and not having an English speaker on full-time duty are major unacceptable issues for a place trying to market itself as a boutique hotel for Western guests and charging what this place charges. Not sure how these issues didn't come up for other guests who gave glowing reviews here.

Fortunately a woman who speaks pretty good English is there some of the time. Well, at least I saw her briefly on my check in day after the guy and I couldn't get through my check in process due to the language barrier.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank elforestero

Reviewed 7 July 2012

A night stay in this quiet little 3 units oasis has convinced us to come back again to Yogyakarta. We booked throuh Agoda and everything from check in to check out. Other than the normal bed room and bathroom, each unit has its own private garden. The staff will just leave us alone but will drop by as soon as we call them. A simple breakfast is available in the morning and the food is cooked after we ordered it rather than prepared in advance. In short good place with a good service to back it up.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed there in Jan. 2012 for 3 nights, 2 Adults and 1 Child (11 years old) in the Deluxe Pavilion.
Pro :
a) Excellent location. 10 min. walk to Malioboro.
b) Excellent value for money.
c) Very good service.
d) Very good meals.
e) Very peaceful, serene and quiet in the compound. Homely environment.
Con :
a) Cleanliness was average. Can be improved. Eg. Room smell mouldy, hair on bed sheet (solved after first daily cleanup), a lizard, a cockroach & a few mosquitoes, breakfast napkins were not wash properly and no insect screen gate.
b) No cupboard for hanging clothes.
c) Difficult to locate the first time because there is no sign board at the main or side road. Only a small sign at the front entrance.
d) No kids facilities but this is expected.

We recommend others and would stay there again.

Room Tip: There are only 3 Pavilions. Book according to your budget and availability.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lionheart_sg
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This was a great base from which to visit the Borobodur and Prambanan temples and excellent value for money.
I was the only guest staying there at the time and the staff there were extremely welcoming and helpful. Fresh melon juice as soon as I arrived, a beautiful little garden in which to have breakfast or relax and a lovely member of staff doing an entire night shift just in case I needed anything.
Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 6 January 2012

place was hard to find as they didnt put any directory or sign. The room we booked was the smallest of three, but was efficiently decorated with warmth backwall color and sophisticated ornaments. Oddly, I had the best breakfast ever not because of the food but merely of the peaceful and charming garden around the site. The location was perfect not too far from Malioboro and just 10 mins walk from Tugu Station (railroad). Using Becak will cost you around Rp10,000 to Malioboro. We suggest you to take the Trans Jogja Bus as it will cost you less (Rp 3,000 per trip).
The only setback was the lack of drawer for the guest's as there were no closet or clothes cabinet to put our belongings.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank tallrobusta
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Went on three day/two night trip to Yogyakarta. Were really surprise how nice this place is, feel more like a home then a hotel. Rooms are very clean and modern, the staff is great and very helpful. Great place to stay and relax. Within walking distance of malioboro and 15 minute taxi ride to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
RumahBoedi, Chief Coordinator at Rumah Boedi Pavilion Yogyakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you very much for your review and hopefully can help for everyone also looking foward to see you again at Rumah Boedi.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

Strategically located. As soon as we arrived in Jogja, it only took 5 minutes walk from Tugu Station to get to it. A very nice and private environment. Friendly, helpful hotel staffs, they helped me to get the pedicab (becak) or cab to go around. Also gave a very good route trip tips. I loved the hotel garden. I will obviously stay there again if I go to Jogja.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patricia A
RumahBoedi, Chief Coordinator at Rumah Boedi Pavilion Yogyakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you very much for your comment about our Pavilion, was so much pleasure to have you with us hopefully can meet you again someday to stay with us again.My best regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yogyakarta
Rumah Boedi Private Residence Borobudur
Nibenia Homestay
Nibenia Homestay
#1 of 1 in Wirobrajan
Cangkringan Jogja Villas & Spa

Been to Rumah Boedi Pavilion Yogyakarta? Share your experiences!