“Staff great, Dutch owner not so much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tulips Hotel & Restaurant

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Tulips Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #103 of 193 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Jacksonville, Florida
“Staff great, Dutch owner not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is charming and the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool is one of the largest hotel pools in the area. During our stay, another guest had a handphone and iPad stolen from their room. The Western woman was being yelled at by a Western man for being careless with her belongings. We thought at first it was her husband (which would have been bad enough, but their business), turns out it was the owner. Next day, he was next to useless in helping the guest with the police to get a report for her insurance. Without the owner's behavior, I would have rated this at 5

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DrJava
tulipshotel, Owner at Tulips Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
"Dr Java" is well -meaning, but misinformed and probably a bit gullable and therefore I will tell what really happened; A break-inn was reported to me late at night in one of the quest rooms. The lock had been forced and some electronic items were missing. The quest was obviously distressed and blamed me for being negligent. I asked the quest to stay in the room till another lock was installed and went to get a new lock and to report the incident to the police. When I returned to the room the quest had left and the door was wide open. When confronting the quest, I asked who was neglicent now, to leave the room unattended. Dr Java probably overheard this conversation and drew his conclusions as me being the husband.
The next morning the police arrived and I assisted the quest with the reporting of the burglary and to act as interpreter. The police asked for evidence of the stolen items such as a pay slip, wrapping or serial number. When the quest could not supply any of these, the police said there was nothing they could do and that the insurance company would also probably not honour their claim. The police than asked me to accompany them to the police station to clarify about these quest. I said that I was willing to, but first had to get properly dressed and would go later on my own account. Dr Java as a bystander than offered to go with the police, which was accepted. I was glad for him that he returned some 10 minutes later, as the police had realised he was no help ar all.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Located almost at the end of Tirtodipuran street, the hotel is within range to a famous chocolate factory in Yogyakarta, several eateries that opens late and specialty shops. It's pleasant neighborhood to enjoy, but beware of the speeding motorcycles.

The hotel is clean and equipped with a swimming pool, but during our visit the swimming pool was closed, due to maintenance.

The room was clean but standard. Air conditioned and hot water worked perfectly. No late room service (maybe because we arrived around midnight), but breakfast was delicious. They will prepare the breakfast of your choice.

Room Tip: Make sure you booked the room ahead. They will ask you to transfer a downpayment, but it will safe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Devonport, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Been in java for 3 weeks on business and looked forward to unwinding before going home booked on line on arrival told pool closed for maybe 1 day or more went to room wifi would not connect in room ,understood from online cable tv but just grainy local tv just didn't feel comfortable went for a walk found better hotel after 1 hour check out of course no refund mr I couldn't be bothered arguing staying somewhere more comfortable was more important

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel has excellent value for the modest prices and the very best pool in any hotels I saw in Yogya for under $85 a night (more than twice the price I paid at Tulips). I booked a deluxe room, the second best level, as the VIP rooms were all full. The room was simple but in fine shape, very clean, had a small fridge, enough outlets to charge your camera, phone and laptop at the same time (not always the case!!). The staff were absolutely stellar, friendly, kind, hard-working, and accommodating. Several Dutch-and-Indonesian families were staying there, too, so it's family friendly. The dining room is in the older, Dutch-era house, furnished with great traditional-Dutch-Indonesian furniture, and open to the outside cafe area and the street. The pool is cleaned daily and maintained weekly. The restaurant, with its very limited staff, had excellent food available from morning till past dinner time. I will go back, for sure.

Room Tip: Location is South of Yogya, near lots of tourist services for the lower-budget traveller, but far fr...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

The hotel looks great and has a very nice pool. We stayed in one of the three VIP rooms at the end of the pool. When we arrived, we were given grief we hadn’t printed out the voucher for the reservation. They knew who we were and that we’d booked though. We showed them the reservation on our smart phone, which apparently wasn’t good enough. The room we were given was nice, but when we arrived the doors were wide open and the place was full of mosquitoes. An initial hunt killed a handful but we gave up when we discovered there is no mosquito gauze over the window slits in the bathroom. The room smelled musty after we closed the doors. In the evening, we discovered there was no hot water.

The next morning, I went to ask about the hot water and was told the hotel works on solar panels and sometimes there is no hot water. Another cold shower followed….

Breakfast was ok, but make sure you can take it in your room or near the pool, as the street traffic is unrelenting. We left after one night out of a planned three, luckily we didn’t book more than one in advance.

Room Tip: There are lots of hotels around, pick another one.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kevin B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel V.i.p.room (due to advertising that it had cable t.v.) for three nights..Could only get 1 local channel ,after complaining to the management three times to look at the problem with no results, I asked to speak to the owner who lives on the premises.Request denied.Ithen asked for a discount on my room, finally on the last night a staff member addressed the problem. Even so there were few desir able channels.
The rooms were clean,the pool was good and the breakfast was better than average.The tour agency directly across the road was excellent and wonderfully helpful. I booked a motorcycle from him.( great advice)
I think the hotels at the other end of the street are in a better position and better value for money. I was refused a discount on my room.
The owners inaccessability and inflexible attitude spoilt my stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Grandad001
Kyogle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

My husband and I stayed in this lovely little oasis in a good area of Jogjakarta. We were recommended the hotel by a local, and it was a pleasant surprise. Only a small boutique hotel, but very friendly, clean and has a lovely pool that you can lounge around. Value for money, I would highly suggest staying here. The hotel is on is a tourist strip, but not overdone, very nice cafe's such as Via Via, and the wonderful Mediteraneo.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple