“Affordable greatness downtown Yogyakarta”

Jambuluwuk Malioboro
Ranked #22 of 193 Hotels in Yogyakarta
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Affordable greatness downtown Yogyakarta”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Surprised to find this affordable not-so-5 star hotel between the great 5 stars downtown Yogyakarta, but offers great services alike..

Good things about vacation in Yogyakarta, is to visit historical sites, comforting landscapes, traditional javanese "in-town" activities, and culinary experience. This hotel is quite near to all, even its just right behind the traditional "Bringharjo" market - the most historical and famous market in town.

Rooms and facilities are great, western breakfast also great, traditional instrument and "batik" activity in the hotel's lounge are quite inspiring and catchy, unfortunately the sightseeing around hotel are not so good with likely urban settlement and garbage piles from neighborhood nearby hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank si_masbro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Indonesian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Nice and friendly staff, spacious room, varied buffet breakfast and -diner (was here during Ramadan). Nice swimming pool. Strategic location, not too far from main attractions of city centre (within walking distance, if you like).

points of attention/improvement: dirty ashtrays/tables in Batik Lounge, even though staff was hanging around without anything to do (actually they were all watching television). During Ramadan Buffet Diner, food not regularly replenished, looked after, only when specifically asked by guest after complaint. NB: When joining at the end of diner time, still had to pay full price, but for cold food (actually it was more like left overs). Further, staff's command of english can still be improved.

Room Tip: Mosque next to hotel, call for prayer will be heard in all rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Good city hotels, it is not far from malioboro. The rooms is clean. It has a good swimming pools Kids pool a bit cold and there is a kids playground however most of the toys was broken. Need special attention when the kids play. The parking lot is small when the hotel is full.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel was very impressive and higly recommended. The room was very large and clean. My 2 children were very happy staying at this hotel because the facilities like beautiful outdoor pool and the kids pool, kids club (although the room was small with minimal equipments/toys) could made them busy with many activities.
The Batik workshop in the lobby that held every day was very interesting and my children were so excited to join that class. Gamelan traditional live music made the javaness ambience and atmospher very live in this hotel.
The staff were very friendly and their service was excellent. Breakfast buffet was delicious with various menu, even jamu gendong - javaness herbal drink- provided.
On the other side, i think the hotel rate was too high for Jogja city and they shouldn't gave "malioboro" as the name of the hotel because the location is not at Malioboro. We must take a becak or a cab to reach the malioboro.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ChikaHarijono
Singapore
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed at Deluxe room for 2 nights, am happy with what I got.

Good points:
- reasonably priced, relatively new hotel (4 year old).
- spacious, clean room
- It's supposed to be within walking distance to Malioboro Street, but we were too lazy to walk, we took cab.
- There was some complication in my hotel booking when I did the booking online. I got a superior room for 1 night and a deluxe room on the other night. They upgraded me to deluxe for the 1st night at no extra cost.
- Breakfast spread was good, both traditional and western selection

Not so good points:
- The command of English for receptions are not there, fortunately we speak Bahasa Melayu, so it helps in the communication.
- WIFI signal is the room is weak.
- I was trying to communicate with them via email after my booking, but before the trip. I didn't get any response. This is not unexpected as I understand that it's not common for them to liaise over emails.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was planning to stay at Melia Purosani where my conference was being held, but by the time I'd bought my tickets, the rooms at Melia and Phoenix were booked and I decided on Jambuluwuk where I booked rooms for 4 days.

The rooms were good, though I've seen much more comfortable beds and rooms at 4 star hotels like this. Rooms were clean and well maintained nonetheless. However, I noticed that on some of the days the room was not vacuumed. I don't usually complain about the mini bar/snacks bar, but this hotel did not have one, particularly when I was craving for some snacks late in the night. And oh yes, in case I forget- the international calling system doesn't work from the room, so for all you business travellers, this is a major drawback!

I opted for a late check-in, at 8 PM and was given a voucher for the welcome drink, but was not told where to get it, and eventually, as I was mostly at my conference, I never had a taste of the complimentary welcome drink!

Although the hotel staff were generally warm, they could usually not understand anything I said! The only person I felt was very helpful was the porter, who smiled always.

The swimming pool was decent but doesn't have a deep end, so perhaps even a hobbit may manage to stand at the deepest end.

If you're looking for service, this hotel clearly isn't the place to find it. Hotel staff rarely provide help if you don't speak Bahasa Indonesia. I wished some of them greeted and smiled more often! At Melia Purosani hotel, the staff, whoever they were- the guard, the housekeeping staff, reception, concierge, restaurant staff were all astoundingly warm, helpful, always greeting and smiling. I missed all of that when I returned to Jambuluwuk each night after dinner. I know it's not good to compare, but the reception staff at Jambuluwuk were among the least responsive I've seen in my travels across the world. Some of the ladies at the reception were nice though, but wish they had been more helpful. I asked for a becak (Indonesian equivalent of the cyclo) at the reception, and as I didn't know its name then (was the first day) the reception staff with his very limited knowledge of English did not know what I was saying nor did he bother to get anyone else.

I haven't eaten at the restaurant having frequently tried Melia. Breakfast was good, though, but not very good for vegetarians or worse, vegans. Alas, that's a problem across most of Indonesia- vegetarian food has been a rarity. One morning we went to the egg counter during breakfast for an omelette, and after the rather not-so-nice response of the lady who was making the omelette, we ordered one. We withdrew once we realised she was making an omelette with beef sausage (we are pescetarians).

Final impressions- not having received much help or support as a foreigner makes my stay here quite cold, despite the usual Indonesian warmth we experienced elsewhere. I found the Jambuluwuk becak drivers outside to be extremely rude. One in fact laughed and spat when I was negotiating for a better price to a place just 5 mins by walk, after which I walked off, taking a becak passing by instead. The guard at Jambuluwuk was also not helpful and did not bother to help us with the becak. I've never used the Jambuluwuk becaks as they are overpriced and each time as a female I found their attitude to be slightly alarming. And considering these are the becaks of Jambuluwuk, this is inexcusable!

If you're staying here, try avoiding the hotel's becaks, and use metered taxis- they are much cheaper.

Would I return to Jambuluwuk? Probably not, as there are nicer places in the wonderful city of Yogyakarta.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MMishra
Reviewed 28 June 2013

For 2 nights stay in this hotel we like its breakfast for its large variety (domestic and international menu available). It also had a children playground for children under 5 years old. Our daughter loved its swimming pool and the playground area. However our room is very damp and it kept us sneezing. Looks like the air condition were not working in our room. The staff is also attentive for fulfilling our request to have a late check-out (but only for 30 minutes late).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family