“Basic, clean hotel - good for backpackers”
Review of EDU Hostel Jogja

EDU Hostel Jogja
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Well, two of my friends and I were on a backpacking trip around Yogyakarta. So, all we wanted was to find a place to stay in Yogyakarta, which is cheap, has a few beds, a shower and is clean. That’s exactly what we got. We booked the room online two weeks in advance which worked perfectly. By the way, our room wasn't soundproof so the muezzin was audible quite well at night. Some rice was served for breakfast. All in all we ended up paying 9 euros per person per night, which is fine. The hotel staff was very friendly and helped us organize a couple of tours in the Yogyakarta area (even on very short notice!!). We couldn't use the wifi in our room but it worked downstairs in the lobby. From the hotel, a bus stop or the town centre is within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is one of the budget hotel (hostel) in Jogja. It's cheap enough. It's clean. The staffs are easy to find but they were not as helpful and friendly as I expected. The phone signal is very bad. I had to go downstairs to the dining room to make calls. However, the wifi is good enough.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

litle to pay,best to stay in jogia,they do all for you i was 5 day s there in a mix dorm ,,verry good ,exelent staff,near to station ,and best locationall is there and you can count on them,also the sale you good tickets and tours

Room Tip: book in time
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I see why this was one of the most reccomended hostels in Jogjakarta. I would have to say though that it didn't quite live up to my expectations, mainly because I was expecting a more boutique hotel/guesthouse type of place.

That said, I know a lot of backpackers and budget travellers would love and find this place perfect. It's cheap, clean, and sevice is not at all bad. It's basic but very secure. We book a private 4-bed dorm though so I can't really comment on the setup of the other dorm rooms. We wished there were more sockets though (although you can rent an extension/octopus plug from the front desk. Also a bummer for us was the lack of wifi in the rooms. It was available only in the common areas, to encourage mingling as they put it.

It could get very noisy and crowded as well, since the hostel is apparently very popular for school trips.

Overall, I did end up enjoying our stay there, as it was a new experience.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Nice 4-bed rooms and funny or wise sayings all over the hostel. Collourfull decorations and free internet. Smoking area outside and on top of the roof. The view is amazing. their motto is kebersamman, which means togetherness, and that is what you get. lots of people to talk to. breakfast, however is rice in various editions and if you want anything else, you have got to pay up extra.
One thing though, their nice world-picture, colloured on the wall, is without Denmark, that sucks!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I was surprised at the room. We stayed in a 4-bed private dorm which costs 46,000 Rupiah per night..The room is good for 4pax. Since it is private, you have to pay for the whole place even if there are only two of you. We opted for this because we traveled with our friend Rupert and it was perfect because the bed is queen size on the first deck and two single on the upper deck.

Mattress are really thick and soft and the bed frame really sturdy so you wouldn't be bothered by any shaking.My wife and I stayed on the lower deck while our friend Rupert stayed up. I said that I was surprised with the room because I rarely saw one on a hostel with ceiling this high. This allows for the placement of a double deck bed that's elevated enough you wouldn't feel constrained when staying at the lower deck. They also made a lovely framed ladder to go up the upper deck so it feels like climbing a balcony each time.

The floor to ceiling glass windows makes for a lovely view every time you open the curtains. You can clearly see the volcano and surrounding mountains from here on a clear day.

The room is equipped with a 32inch flat screen cable tv and a long tv which comes very handy when you have a lot of stuff you want readily available.

The orientation of the restroom is one that I also like. The shower is separate from the toiled and immediately outside both is the lavatory with a giant mirror. Hot shower works well and water pressure is perfect. The only issue I have with the shower room is the lack of toiletries holder. Sure, a soap and shampoo holder is stalled on the wall with sufficient contents but I am one who always travel with my own toiletries so I ended up placing my soap and shampoo on the floor while taking showers. You can opt to place them at the lavatory but it's very inconvenient to open the door each time you need em.

The lavatory would also be better with soap holder on it as it really gets messy when you place them near the faucet. Other than that, I love the room, its functionality and airy feel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pusangkalye
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Room condition - my room had cockroaches. They came out every night and we must have killed like six of them (some got away). When I complained, the guy turned up with insect spray. Toilet in my sister's room had a funny smell.
Room items - only one pillow per person and a small towel.
Facilities - there is a game area with foosball table and carrom and tv, free wi-fi in the public area
Breakfast - either take it or leave it - it was steam rice with egg and veggie, and fried rice on the two days we went down for breakfast.
Staff - they were friendly but lack initiative. I fell and injured my foot - could not put any pressure on it. My boyfriend asked if they have any wheel chair - just shook head and said sorry. I wish they could have provided any chair with wheels - just to make it easier for me to get to my room. My boyfriend had to carry me.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family