“Nice Host and staff, good bed ”
Review of Venezia Garden

Venezia Garden
“Nice Host and staff, good bed ”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Was staying here 2 nights before my trip to karimunjawa. found this hostel in Jogja which suite my type, actually there isn't many hostel in this city.

When I arrived, I was served by Ah Tok (the old man) who always put a smile on his face. I was placed in the emergency room (4 person room) but there were 2 bed on the floor as it was full that night, I doesn't really bother me as the bed is so comfortable, the upper bunk is really high and a bit challenging for short people like me but it makes more space for the person sleeping at lower bunk.

Breakfast is included in the price, starts at 7am and no ending time, each person allow to choose 2 out of the 3 breakfast type which I guess many people are not aware of it, neither do I. only found out when I wanted to pay for my additional order and was told by staff that it's written at the back of the receipt. wow!! that's really nice, I also love the idea of you can order your free breakfast anytime even at 5pm. Free coffee and tea all day long.
the hostel has a swimming pool, 1 big and 1 small chill area, most people prefer to stay at the small area which is at the pool area.

overall, I highly recommend this hostel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BettyTio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights. the reception asked me to pay the full amount ,included the 15% Deposit / Down-payment, which I already paid when I booked by hostelworld. Moreover, He charged me %2.5 extra for using credit card! in total I paid %17.5 extra!!

Pro: good breakfast (pancake, toasts or noodles with egg)

Con: 1) Air Con was not enough in my dorm room as it was a two dorm rooms connecting with a door frame on the wall in between!! and the AC was in the other room!

2) The location is out of the city center and far away from most attractions
3) Lockers available at the reception.
by the same price (even without the added %17.5) you can find a better place to stay in!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
11 Thank Sallam2014
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

After spending one night in a halfway decent dorm room I was informed that I would have to move to another room which was going from a 4 bed dorm to an eight bed dorm at the same price with terrible AC. When I questioned the owner he stated he had family members coming to town and wanted the nice room for them. Additionally I was informed that they had the right to refuse service to anyone and I could be told to leave if I didn't move. I pointed out to him that a deposit is a legal and binding contract between both parties not only giving him the right to charge my credit card if I failed to show up but also obligating him to provide the service for which I had made a deposit. He said it doesn't matter and that if I didn't want to change I should leave. Al the other guests were required to leave the next day regardless of reservations because the place was being filled with his out of town family. While this "may" have been a one off event his attitude is definitely a permanent feature. There are several other hostels located within a block of this place that are much nicer, cleaner, and more user friendly so my advise would be to check out your other options and use this as a last resort ONLY. Plus check out the small hotels in the area as they are around the same price as the dorm rooms here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank k8e8n8t8
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 May 2014

1st stay:

We booked 2 beds in the 8-bed dorm but were told it was full and were shown into a 4-bed dorm located outside. It smelled bad and the door, which had no lock (despite being located outside!), did not fully close (welcome mosquitoes). It is the first time in my life that a dorm is so bad that I decide to leave and find a bed elsewhere despite having paid.

2st stay:

The double rooms by the swimming pool looked quite good so we gave this property a second chance a few days later. We stayed 3 nights.

High points:

- good backpacker vibe
- hundreds of tv channels in our room
- good ensuite bathroom: nice open-air shower with good pressure and hot water
- chill family staff

Low points:

- same disappointing breakfast as elsewhere (tea with 2 pieces of cheap toast)
- not the cleanest place. Table in common area full of ants
- dirty swimming pool! The yellow water was only cleaned on our last day and even then was incredibly dirty once inside. We saw no one else attempting to swim during our 3-day stay despite the hostel being fully booked...
- the first double rooms are a bit noisy (located right next to the common area)
- smoking allowed in (open-air) common area where breakfast is served...

All in all you will like this place if you want to meet other travellers around a beer at night and don't mind the raw backpacking experience. If you value privacy, cleaningness and calmness, you might want to look elsewhere.

If you do stay here, make sure to try the French restaurant "Mediterranea by Kamil" located 5 minutes away by foot. We returned 5 times!

Room Tip: If you choose a dorm, make sure you get the 8-bed dorm (located inside), not the 4-bed one (located...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eutectique
Ratih C, Manager at Venezia Garden, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thanks for your detail review all about our hostel. but first i would love to respond your review.

1. About dorm 4 bed room. we have 4 bed dorm room just only for emergency room, and we used only if we have problem for double booking and if our recent guest will like to extend their stay with some condition. so, what you get is in that time most of our guest in dorm room would like to extend another night at our hostel and we accepted because not only we have emergency room, but also they are great guest for us. if you feel not comfortable with those situation, we are really sorry to you and we would love to have chance to serve you better.
2. room facilities. when you check in at our hostel, all our guest should read our regulation when they going to sign our registration form and we are sure its also written in our registration form about breakfast menu. so, if our when you are read carefully and sign after that its mean you are understand about all facilities what we have, and we also allow to the guest to check the room before if they like the room or not. just incase if they didn't like the room because of some reason normally we help our guest to get another hostel with same facilities or same price without any charge.
3. for breakfast. we have 3 breakfast option to the guest every morning and we didn't give any limit time to the guest to have breakfast because sometime our guest need to sleep more and we want to make them no need to worry if they would like to miss our breakfast. and about breakfast quality. every hostel have different kind of breakfast depends on standart hostel area or location, so far from all hostel we knew in yogyakarta mostly they also served same or similar breakfast like us. but, we would love to improve our breakfast if we get more complain about our quality breakfast.
4. Swimming pool. we are really sorry about swimming pool condition during you stay with us because in that time we have raining alot so its mean we should have more treathment often to the pool. but there is some another guest from dorm room used quiet often our pool after we finish treathment. maybe you were busy going around before during the day and so you didn't know or you didn't ask another guest if they are used or not our pool.

But from all your concern our hostel facilities and service, we would like to say thank you very much and will will improve our service to all our future guest.

Best regard
Management
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We arrived early not expecting to be able to check-in and were told we could at 1pm - this was fine. We were given the wifi password and ordered some banana pancakes.
At noon, we were able to check-in to find out that there had been three available rooms ready all morning - this was disappointing.

We chose an upstairs room. It was clean, with a large bed, air-con and satellite tv. The bathroom had stone walls and a great shower.

There are three two-storey cabins (6 double rooms) each with their own balcony and stairwell. These all overlook the swimming pool.
We didn't use the pool however, as it was very dirty. (It was only cleaned on our last day)

There is also an eight-bed dorm in the reception area.
Breakfast is served whenever you want it! A choice of banana pancakes or fried egg with either noodles or toast. There is also coffee and tea available all day at no extra charge.

Venezia Garden is located on a quiet lane - its a great respite from the manic streets everywhere else in the city.
The staff also have lots of local knowledge and were really helpful - we booked a trip to Borobudur with them - it was great.

Some things here are in need of improvement but overall its a great value place to stay in Yogyakarta.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy K
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 April 2014

When we are deciding where to stay, I found this place online, not knowing in which part of Yogya is it, but we read lots of good comments online. We booked online thru Hostelbooker, they gave us a very precise direction on how to get there. The owner welcome us and treat us with coffee and tea. The homestay is small but it is homey. There is a beautiful garden up front, and a place to chill and have a cup of coffee. Even tho we didn't have the time to dip in the pool, it looks perfect. The room and pool is quite close to each other. A bit steep to climb up stairs. If you have walking problem pick a room down stairs. The room interior is decorated with Indonesia style furniture and an open concept of shower. Just perfect.
We booked our full day trip thru the homestay, everything was well organised and on time. The price is not overly expensive. The driver is friendly and speak some english.
Just outside the homestay 2 block down the main road is the street of bars, restaurants, travel agency and banks. There are also local stalls and restaurant on the other street to choose from. A becca ride to town is about 20,000 if you bargain hard, else 30,000 is the standard price. They also let us kept the room till we came back from our day trip as no one else was checking in. I give an super thumb up for this home stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mynudi
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We spent 5 days here in April, 2014 and enjoyed our stay. We found the location to be really good, close to many good restaurants, the Kraton, and tour agencies. We were within walking distance to the Kraton and the water castle and by taking the alleys, the walking was good. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable but sometimes hard to find. Breakfast was simple and sometimes slow or late in being offered? The room was clean and comfortable and the garden areas were very nice. However, the pool was only clean enough, or inviting enough to swim, 1 day during our stay! The other times it looked dirty and uninviting.

Room Tip: Room tip. Rooms 3 & 4 are closest to the common area, and with no soundproofing at all, they can...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple