“Beautiful hotel close to Yogyakarta attractions”

The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 205 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Upon arriving at the Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta, we were immediately impressed with the hotel’s old world architectural charm. Rooms are very small, clean, and functional. I was travelling with family in a party of 7 split over 3 rooms. I requested one room to be equipped with an extra cot to allow three to share one room not knowing how small the rooms were. Rooms have very little space between the side walls and bed. The cot barely fit in the room and made for a wall-to-wall bed arrangement, with a 1.5m of walking space at the foot of the bed. I would not recommend this arrangement to others and hope my learnings here are helpful to future travellers that are considering this arrangement.

Our rooms had a balcony, however, faced out against the back alley, which didn’t make for the most scenic experience. Do yourself a favour and request a room facing the beautiful pool area located in another wing of the hotel. I know I will.

One interesting note about the cleanliness of the rooms: while the rooms and floors appeared spotless, I would recommend wearing the provided slippers in the rooms. We ordered room service one morning and the staff spilled OJ all over our floor. When staff came to clean the room, we noticed they used the toilet water from the bathroom as the water source and bucket for the mop. Yikes!

The restaurant had both indoor and outdoor seating. During breakfast, we were serenaded by live gamelan music in the outdoor atrium - an extremely pleasant way to start your day :) Food was good quality, however, service at the restaurant left a few things to be desired. On several occasions, I requested food from the omelet station (or during dinner, the nasi goreng station) only to have my food given to someone else, or request taken, but not honoured. This can be forgiven if it occurred once, however, this occurred several times during our stay. At one sitting for one order, I had to request my nasi goreng order three times before getting my food: the first request was unfulfilled; the second unfulfilled request was taken by a manager who provided an apology and guarantee to personally deliver the food to my table; the third and final request was only fulfilled by explicitly re-ordering and physically standing at the station directing the cook to ensure my order was fulfilled. Definitely an area for improvement.

We did not use the spa facilities but made full use of the beautiful outdoor pool. Location of the hotel is good and relatively close to attractions like Jl. Malioboro (5 min becak ride away) and Taman Sari (the water castle). Despite my issues with the restaurant staff, overall, staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta is a beautifully designed and maintained building - and clearly a driver for me and others to want to stay at this hotel. Despite my “interesting” stories and experience with the restaurant staff, I would stay here again should I find myself in Yogyakarta.

Room Tip: Seek a room with a view overlooking the pool. The alternative is a view of an alley!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Thomas_Evrard, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear DavidHoh

Thank you for taking the time to write about your Stay experience with us.

We appreciate your “positive” and “not positive” input and I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the beautiful design and ambience that we provide. We do apologies for the problems you faced during your stay especially with the room and bad experiences in our service. The issues have been addressed to the concerned departments and training has been initiated to handle and improve in the future.

Our Standards of service are very important to us and we hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust.

I would like to thank you for your help and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm travelling with 3 children below 13. My son got very sick as soon as we arrive at the airport. The staff was very friendly & helpful when we check in and gave us the connecting rooms as we requested. They even help me to buy medicine & arranged a GP (doctor) to check my son.
Highly recomended to stay in this hotel with beautiful set up for breakfast & all meals. The rooms are very big & comfortable. Great location as it's close to KFC & MacDonald if you don't know what to eat. 1 hr drive to Borobudur temple.

• Stayed: July 2014
Thomas_Evrard, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear RenArwin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and recommending us.

We appreciate your compliments on our hotel, friendly staff and your room. It is very enjoyable for us to note that you have enjoyed the stay overall and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future with all your family.

Best regards

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had four nights at the Phoenix in July with my 20 year old son on a language immersion. It was our favourite hotel in our three weeks across Indonesia. So full of history and ambience......with wonderful staff who do everything to make your stay perfect. We asked for a twin pool view room which was quiet, sunny and airy. We enjoyed the restaurant very much....particularly the Ginger tea......and the sugar selection. Reminded me very much of Raffles Singapore, without the outrageous price tag and hordes of tourists, it was like staying on a colonial palace stepping back in time. You should do the hotel history tour and the spa service was outstanding. Would go back in a heart beat......every time we entered the front doors, we felt at home. Thank you to all of our friends at the Pheonix.......we loved our stay!

Dear Australian Megan

Thank you so much for your comments on our hotel and for your appreciation of the work we are doing. It is a rare pleasure to receive this kind of appreciation, and I would like you to be sure that I have shared your comments to our team.

Thank you for brightening our day and giving us the extra motivation to continue serving our hotel guests with heart.

Thank you once again for your recommendation; we are waiting to welcoming you back in what we would like to be your home in Jogja.

Very Best Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Our stay in this hotel was excellent! Good pool, good restaurant, friendly staff etc. Airco was set very low each day but when we figured that out we simply raised the temperature. When we visit yogya again in the future we will book this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear I30n713n

A pleasure to read your great review on The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and all went smoothly.

We hope you’ll have the opportunity to come to Yogyakarta soon and to have the pleasure of welcoming you once more.

Very Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This gorgeously colonialist hotel does everything right: conscientious and detail-attentive service, stately common areas, problem-free room. We had to reschedule our pre-paid reservation at the last minute and (after some intense phone communication) they eventually were merciful and allowed us to reschedule, without any punitive fees. Great Indonesian food choices, and pretty good Western ones (baked salmon was very nice). We were very positively impressed by this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ACY Singapore

Thank you very much for your time to share an amazing experience with other reviewers.
I’m so happy to know that you choose our Hotel and give us an positive feedback through Trip Advisor as a “Impressive place than the sultan palace”.

It’s an honor that our guests could feel so satisfied with our services and facilities. Certainly, this review will be shared to our team and I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here recently and thought it was great. The hotel is charming and has a nice atmosphere, and the staff were all fantastic. The buffet breakfast was really good, with a wide selection. The hotel restaurant was good, though has pretty limited vegetarian options. The rooms aren't huge, but are nicely decorated and comfortable. The bathrooms are a bit small, and there isn't really anywhere to put anything, but that is a relatively minor issue. Would I stay here again? Yes please!

Dear Cortunefookie

Thank you for the very gracious comments regarding your recent stay here at your “great hotel”.
We are very happy to learn that you were satisfied with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and would love to stay here again.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in a good location, that is walking distance from the train station. Our favourite thing about the hotel was the beautiful architecture and courtyard restaurant. It is a perfect place to relax after a long day walking around the old town. The rooms were charming but a little on the small side. The bathroom was very clean. Breakfasts in the morning were absolutely wonderful with a mixture of western and indonesian cuisine. The pool was delightful but unfortunately very crowded in the afternoons and doing a lap was almost impossible. Live gamelan music was played throughout the day and evening adding to the atmosphere of the hotel. It can get quite noisy in the morning though so your plugs are recommended. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Overall i would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K_Australia

Dear K-Australia

Thank you very much! Your very nice review touch us very much.

We are honored by your comment, and all our associates here are very touched by your compliments.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and recommendation of our hotel to other travelers.

We look forward to welcoming you back home.

Kindest Regards,