The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 205 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have stayed two nights in the Phoenix in Yokyakarta. Great room, very good service, friendly and helpfull staff and a wonderful breakfast. The building is beautiful and the atmosphere was relaxed and authentic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Thomas_Evrard, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Loutje96

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at “Excellent” hotel and for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.

I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for your detailed comments on our facilities and services that created such a memorable stay for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to experience another great time at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta.

Warmest regards

There are newer reviews for The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in this hotel Aug 1st 2014. We chose this hotel after I recommended him how beautiful this hotel was. I stayed once few years ago, and the hotel, room, and service were excellent. I was not surprised last time I saw this hotel ranked #1 on trip advisor.

My husband booked the hotel thru Accor website and keyed in his Accor platinum membership card number hoping we can get extra benefits like what we got at the Pullman. We recently stayed at the Pullman Jakarta another Accor brand the week before and it was a truly splendid stay ever.

So what happen was when we checked in at the reception desk at The Phoenix, staffs were so busy. It took almost 20minutes just to get us in. What a very long service! We were tired and the staff handled few incoming phone calls as well at the same time. She gave us the key and the room number and my husband showed his platinum membership card to her and she just realized he has an Accor membership! She then changed our room number for an upgrade and we had to wait another 15minutes! I was like, Whatttt? Can't the hotel staff be given access to see a guest is a member or not?!! We just need to check in and relax, didn't bother with an upgrade or any such.
We stayed in several Accor brands, never had this such long service just for a check in!!

Now the big disappointment, we had morning flight back to Jakarta so we ordered room service breakfast to be delivered at 5-5.30 AM. At 5.15 I decided to call the staff and asked where is our breakfast? The guy said, there is no order from our room. I was surprised because the breakfast order sign hanged on the door was taken. I then asked that staff to please find out and let me know ASAP as we have a flight to catch and have to check out at 6 AM. At 5.25 I decided to call up again as I didn't get a call back from the hotel. I asked again if they have found our breakfast order. Big big disappointment!! The staff said "there is no order under this room number, mam" I asked if he has checked and he just said, nothing, there is no breakfast. I was expecting the staff to look for it, check with the kitchen or anyone who can verify, but none. They didn't do anything about it. What a very poor customer handling service!!

Now this is the interesting part, a staff from the restaurant called our room at 5.45AM telling our breakfast is ready to be delivered. What a joke! We then canceled the breakfast cos we had no time.

Regardless the poor service, the room was okay, good artistic design of the hotel and has good location.

We might not stay again in this hotel and might not recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lilaparamita

Dear Lilaparamita

Thank you very much for your feedback and for sharing about your experience with us.

Please accept our apology for the inconveniences caused during your stay, we are sincerely sorry if we cannot reach your satisfaction and we spoil your experience with this kind of problem in our service in the restaurant as well as in our reception desk during check in time due to in the rush situation .

We take this very seriously and we always want to improve our organization and the level of service by listening to our customers and make changes where and when we can.

We had discussed this issue with our staff also addressed this matter to related department, to improve our service and to avoid something similar to happen again in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta, and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed 6/1/14 to 9/1/14. The ambience made us feel like we are in the olden era. Had a lovely experience riding in the vintage Mercedes. Breakfast was awesome and something unique was served which was the traditionally prepared Jamu.
Service is excellent!!
Special mention to our driver, Mr Ali Murtono, for being not only a hospitable driver but a tour guide as well.
Will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Romino_Kartini

Thank you for staying at our hotel and we are very happy to be part of your holiday in Art City.

We appreciate your recognition on the hotel excellent services which we will pass to all of our dedicated team especially Mr. Ali Martono which give you memorable experience during your tour, and your detail review will surely help many other travelers looking for Great Place for Holiday with strategic location in the centre.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back soon

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Arriving in Yogja was overwhelming. The sugar feast week made the streets and traffic even more hectic as they normally are. We were expecting a not so relaxing stay the next few days in this setting.

The phoenix hotel changed that immediately. Behind the beautiful colonial facade is an oasis of rest and atmosphere. The several patios with restaurant, swimming pool, lounge, are really surprising an of a high archiectural quality. The restauration of the old building was done perfectly so you feel like being projected back in time when the Dutch were here.

Rooms (at least ours) are beautiful, well maintained and we had connecting rooms for our children what is not easy to find here.

Finally, the staff is very friendly and helpfull. You feel like a king at all times. Hopefully, the growing amount of tourism won't change there authenticity in time.

I would really recommand it!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Travelbenjamin

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be part of your Fantastic holiday in Yogyakarta and your

Review and recommendation are highly appreciated and will be shared with all of our dedicated team.

They will also be a very good reference for other travelers to find accommodation for a fantastic holiday and combined with lovely and friendly service in” Wonderful oasis in the middle of extra buzy Yogja”

We hope to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

What can I say. Super restaurant with great buffets. An amaaaazing breakfast. Fast and very friendly people. Super bedroom with double bed poolview on floor 2 (ground floor being 1). Well decorated rooms and hotel premises. Just a minor point ... Wifi could be a bit faster. If all MGallery hotels are like this hotel, I know how to choose some of my next hotels.

Room Tip: The rooms with pool view are super.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kinderman

Greetings from your “2nd home” in Yogyakarta

Thank you. It's gratifying to read that you felt this way and your recommend us so warmly.
I will pass your very nice message to the all Team and it will give us the motivation to keep our efforts and commitments.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you soon in” an amazing place in Yogyakarta “.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Upon arriving at the Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta, we were immediately impressed with the hotel’s old world architectural charm. Rooms are very small, clean, and functional. I was travelling with family in a party of 7 split over 3 rooms. I requested one room to be equipped with an extra cot to allow three to share one room not knowing how small the rooms were. Rooms have very little space between the side walls and bed. The cot barely fit in the room and made for a wall-to-wall bed arrangement, with a 1.5m of walking space at the foot of the bed. I would not recommend this arrangement to others and hope my learnings here are helpful to future travellers that are considering this arrangement.

Our rooms had a balcony, however, faced out against the back alley, which didn’t make for the most scenic experience. Do yourself a favour and request a room facing the beautiful pool area located in another wing of the hotel. I know I will.

One interesting note about the cleanliness of the rooms: while the rooms and floors appeared spotless, I would recommend wearing the provided slippers in the rooms. We ordered room service one morning and the staff spilled OJ all over our floor. When staff came to clean the room, we noticed they used the toilet water from the bathroom as the water source and bucket for the mop. Yikes!

The restaurant had both indoor and outdoor seating. During breakfast, we were serenaded by live gamelan music in the outdoor atrium - an extremely pleasant way to start your day :) Food was good quality, however, service at the restaurant left a few things to be desired. On several occasions, I requested food from the omelet station (or during dinner, the nasi goreng station) only to have my food given to someone else, or request taken, but not honoured. This can be forgiven if it occurred once, however, this occurred several times during our stay. At one sitting for one order, I had to request my nasi goreng order three times before getting my food: the first request was unfulfilled; the second unfulfilled request was taken by a manager who provided an apology and guarantee to personally deliver the food to my table; the third and final request was only fulfilled by explicitly re-ordering and physically standing at the station directing the cook to ensure my order was fulfilled. Definitely an area for improvement.

We did not use the spa facilities but made full use of the beautiful outdoor pool. Location of the hotel is good and relatively close to attractions like Jl. Malioboro (5 min becak ride away) and Taman Sari (the water castle). Despite my issues with the restaurant staff, overall, staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta is a beautifully designed and maintained building - and clearly a driver for me and others to want to stay at this hotel. Despite my “interesting” stories and experience with the restaurant staff, I would stay here again should I find myself in Yogyakarta.

Room Tip: Seek a room with a view overlooking the pool. The alternative is a view of an alley!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear DavidHoh

Thank you for taking the time to write about your Stay experience with us.

We appreciate your “positive” and “not positive” input and I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the beautiful design and ambience that we provide. We do apologies for the problems you faced during your stay especially with the room and bad experiences in our service. The issues have been addressed to the concerned departments and training has been initiated to handle and improve in the future.

Our Standards of service are very important to us and we hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust.

I would like to thank you for your help and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm travelling with 3 children below 13. My son got very sick as soon as we arrive at the airport. The staff was very friendly & helpful when we check in and gave us the connecting rooms as we requested. They even help me to buy medicine & arranged a GP (doctor) to check my son.
Highly recomended to stay in this hotel with beautiful set up for breakfast & all meals. The rooms are very big & comfortable. Great location as it's close to KFC & MacDonald if you don't know what to eat. 1 hr drive to Borobudur temple.

• Stayed: July 2014
Thomas_Evrard, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear RenArwin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and recommending us.

We appreciate your compliments on our hotel, friendly staff and your room. It is very enjoyable for us to note that you have enjoyed the stay overall and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future with all your family.

Best regards