“Disappointed at first visit but not again”
Review of Holy Cow

Holy Cow
Ranked #61 of 1,246 Restaurants in Yogyakarta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I visited Holy Cow when it first opened. The service was poor and the steak was terrible (everybody gets a well-done steak, no matter what you asked for). I decided I would never come back but I was forced to visit again last week with a group of friends. My tenderloin steak was delicious and cooked to a decent medium-well (just the way I like it). For Jogja standards (which are very low), I'd have to say Holy Cow is defenitely above average. The location is nice too: open air on the ground floor of the Aston. Service was alright as well.

2  Thank W13

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This time, I would like to share my experience in dining at Holy Cow, a quite newly established steakhouse from Jakarta. We arrived in the premise in the afternoon and we found there were not many people in there as it wasn't diner time. This place was nicely set up and it was a good place to be with families and/or friends. It was cloudy at the time we arrived but we all decided to sit in a table under a big tent outdoor as we thought it would not be rainy that afternoon.

Within minutes, we were looking at the menu and started making our selections : Within 15 minutes, they were serving our food. My dish was just okay. Why ? Because I didn't really think they have good chefs from the way they prepare my (medium rare) Wagyu. After staying and traveling around few major cities in Central Java for more than eight years, I have to be honest with myself : Up until today, I am not able to find even a good chef who can prepare a medium rare beefsteak properly in the region.

Although I was quite disappointed with food quality but I was quite pleased with the ambiance during our diner. I also didn't try my wife's steak as she preferred to be served well done (I don't like any well done steak in my life). As far as price concerns, they are not too expensive compare to what other places would charge in cities like Jakarta and/or Surabaya.

Overall, I would recommend this place to everyone who visits Yogyakarta who is looking for a nice place to dine in but please, don't have high expectation over here especially if you are a genuine steak lovers as you would be disappointed.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We came to celebrate a friends birthday and had a really good night. Efficient and friendly service and trully excellent steaks. They didnt have wine but they allowed the hotel to serve us wine, from the hotel list. Go there and pay a little but extra for the MB Wagyu - It was truly excellent.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Great atmosphere, great food, great prices. This restaurant is inside the grounds of the Grand Aston Hotel and is very new. Perfect for outside or inside dining.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

we branched out while in Asia and had Italian for one of the nights we were in Yogyakarta at this restaurant and really enjoyed it. We had to have the spaghetti bolognaise on hot chips as it seemed ridiculous and did not disappoint. All the food we ate was great & the atmosphere of the restaurant was awesome. Good service too.