“Great boutique hotel with pool. Best location for art area. Cool place will come back”
Review of Duta Garden Hotel

Duta Garden Hotel
Ranked #36 of 210 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed 13 October 2011

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank rufusbox

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in the double room with a/c. Lovely place - nicely decorated and landscaped. The room and toilet were a bit old but clean. Breakfast was simple but tasty and tea & pastry provided in the evening. Swimming pool was a great place to hang out. The place was very cosy with friendly staff and quiet environment.

Downside: The hotel is a little far from the main street of Malioboro and there are no local restaurants or mini markets nearby making it difficult to find affordable food.

Its a great place to relax and affordable too. Would recommend it to friends

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KL_home
Reviewed 21 July 2011

When we arrived in Yogyakarta we could not find anywhere to stay and we found this delightful place tucked away off a main street after getting some advice from a local. (My son speaks indonesian thankfully!) The staff at reception were very helpful and quickly settled us into a delightful room just off from the beautiful pool area. Breakfast was included which was indonesian nasi goreng or there was fresh fruit and toast/jam. We could not stay another night as it was fully booked but the receiption staff booked us into their sister hotel nearby and while we went on a day trip, which they helpfully arranged for us with a car/driver, they ensured our luggage was all transported to the other hotel. Free internet access was useful to keep in touch with family/friends. I always wonder why if these little places can do this for free then why can't the really expensive hotels? We had a lovely time here and would recommend it if your on a budget. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The bathroom was an 'outdoor' asian type bathroom which was clean and we had soap/towels, etc. Remember this is Asia and this is not the Hilton, so don't expect 5 star, but this was great value and definitely a good find which I recommend wholeheartedly. Go visit Borobodur and Prambanan - they were awesome.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank lanymor
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We had a great time. It's a small hotel with a beautiful garden and pool. For this price you really don't have to look any further. Just book this hotel you won't have any regrets.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The ambience is very pleasant, but the hotel could do with cleaning up - generally a bit shabby by today's standards. And the arrangements for food seem shambolic - getting it cooked at the sister hotel and biked over, I ask you. I had a "restaurant shut down" on my first night and a "everything's off save for fried rice" the second night. Poor breakfast, too.
Fred Ashmore, UK

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BritishFred
Reviewed 30 December 2010

While the location was good, ensure that you take the becak to the sights around the city as taking cabs can get pretty expensive due to the one-way road system. The hotel was beautiful with lots of plants and landscaped rock gardens but it might be dangerous for the not well-coordinated or an unsuitable hotel for the less able. The path to our room had stepping stones set in a fish pond with windows all around-very picturesque. Breakfast was underwhelming but the service was excellent. Our room was a little pokey and there were safety issues such as the open power outlet in the bathroom and the peeling metal sheeting on the door which can and did cut less careful hands. Overall, it is a good hotel if a bit pricey.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 27 December 2010

This hotel is located away from the main drag so you it's much quieter than most hotels in Jogja but it's a quick 5 minute walk to the main drag. However, you're likely to be woken up by the sound of morning prayer. I personally like hearing it but I also spent some time in Cairo and got used to it.

Adding to the beautiful oasis like feel of this hotel is the beautiful landscaping. The rooms face into a center courtyard/pool that is really well landscaped with tropical plants. My room was located at the back and hidden by a waterfall so I had even more privacy. It felt more like small bungalows rather than a standard hotel. The dining/breakfast area is elevated from the main rooms a little bit so makes for a very picturesque eating experience - sort of tree house like but less rustic.

Workers are wonderful. Aside from someone always being around in case you need anything, guests are served evening tea and cool towel on arrival. One of the receptionists (sorry can't remember her name) gets extra kudos for making great recommendations. I and another guest relied on her to help us figure out how to climb Merapi and places to eat away from all the touristy areas.

I want to mention the tour packages that are offered. I'm sure they're all the same but I was expecting to be taken to the site only AFTER being driven to some tourist shopping trap. I was pleasantly surprised to find this didn't happen. But on the flip side, the tour guide is just a driver - he doesn't give you any history or talk at all.

Breakfast is pretty standard but the fresh fruit, nasi goreng and Indonesian porridge were very good. I have to say, I was disappointed with the packaged coffee - but evidently all hotels serve the same stuff. Isn't Indonesia know for great coffee?

The rooms are only mediocre. Despite asking for a queen bed, I arrived to find two small twins instead but they were comfortable and clean. Turns out another guest at the hotel had the same problem. Reminded me a bit of a dorm room. My bathroom was a nice little weird surprise - it actually had a little "deck" with plants in it and isn't entirely enclosed. Weird place for a patio but I guess it's better than nothing.

I haven't read the other reviews but it's likely some guests might have complained about the becak drivers waiting outside the hotel. All I have to say about that is Indonesia is a poor country and tourism is business. These men make their living waiting on tourists. I was initially intimidated but got to know 2 of the drivers and they became my go to guys when I needed to get to places further away (the silver market) and didn't want to go by taxi. They were very nice, respectful and on my last day I asked the driver to take me to the places he frequents and got a nice surprise that most other tourists probably don't experience. If you get a chance, ask one of them to take you to the bird market and the wet market. As for the cost - still less than taking a taxi anywhere and you get a free tour guide.

One note - I was actually here in December of 2009 but I guess you have only a year to write up a review.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo