All reviewsthe ownergreat viewthe busrice terraceslovely outdoor restaurantdeluxe queen roomsesame seedsfood served in the restaurantcentral areahot waterplace to stayfried bananaclean roomssusanreginamanilaterminal
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I got a room at Greenview, not Sanafe, because I didn't like Lonely Planet's charaterization of the Sanafe as "dead in the off-season" and the higher prices. However, the food at Greenview was pretty awful so I came to the Sanafe for a meal, and another, and another. No matter what I ordered, it was delicious! I especially liked the fried banana with sesame seeds. The patio was beautiful and it was a really nice place to eat. However, Lonely Planet was right. It was dead. However, maybe the 3rd time I went, I met the owner and talked with her a bit and we discussed the Lonely Planet review. She insisted that the prices in the book are wrong, that she also has 250 peso rooms and that it isn't "dead." Well, there weren't that many people hanging out on the patio and I couldn't figure out why...I think it actually might be Lonely Planet's description keeping people away.
Anyway, I agreed with the owner that Lonely Planet was not right and I told her I would write to them about it. I also thought it best to write here as well.
Please remember, this is mostly a review of the patio, restaurant, staff, and owner. I didn't stay but kept my room at Greenview (I just stopped eating there). (by the way, except for the food, I had no complaints about the Greenview Lodge so no reason to leave)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

First off, let me get this out of the way. The choices for accommodation in Banaue is quite thin and most of them cater mostly to backpackers. Sanafe Lodge is one of them. From the outside, it doesn't look like much (and honestly, I almost turned back). But if you can get past it, you will be in for a nice surprise. The inside have a sort of quirkiness that you half expect in places like this. The veranda offers a magnificent view of the rice terraces. We stayed in deluxe rooms and they are quite okey for the price. It is of modest size, clean, and the hot water works. There is an average speed free wifi internet in the reception/veranda which is okey for normal browsing. Owner/manager looks after the guests quite well.

On the i wish they could improve on part...

I wish they have TVs in rooms. There is hardly a night life in Banaue and in the evening its the only entertainment option for guests. Or if they can't provide one for each room, at least provide more wifi routers so we can surf even in our rooms.

Food is okey but a bit on the pricey side (about 3-4 dollars per menu item). For those that are budget conscious, it is near the market so there are a lot if other eating options.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jansen_M_M
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Nice view! Nice people! Nice food! Staff are very helpful! And the view from the restaurant: amazing in the morning with a coffee, astonishing for the happy hour with a San Miguel! Try the adobo chicken/pork you won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

A nice guide befriended us at the bus station and lead us to the Lodge which is located in the town center, close to the open market and close to the hustle and bustle of Banaue. From the gated entrance, you'd never guess how nice it was inside. We were pleasantly pleased with the two deluxe rooms we reserved, simply decorated in true Banaue decor: Bulol lamps and locally handwoven blankets. Outside our window was the most breathtaking view of the town with rice terraces in the background and the suspension bridge below. Our rooms had a private bath so we didn't have to use the common bathrooms meant for other guests. The restaurant seating is on the terrace which has THE BEST VIEW of the town without the crowds. We only ate two meals here, breakfast which was standard but a little more pricey than what you would pay at some of the places down the street. But it is quieter here than the other eating spots where you find seating back to back with other customers who enjoy constant conversation. The plus at Sanafe Lodge was the casual atmosphere, spaciousness of the place, and their accommodating nature. Since our bus was to leave in the evening, the staff stored our bags for free in a locked room. I understand they do this for all their guests who need to check out in the morning to make room for other travelers. If you are a traveler planning to visit Banaue just to see the rice terraces from a distance, maybe this place is not for you because it is not a 4 or 5 star hotel with a pool, etc. like you would find in the city. It is a homey place, remember, it's the small town of Banaue, and the staff smiles back. If you plan to see the terraces on foot and mingle with the locals to understand the culture of the people who make Banaue the wonderfully intriguing place it is, then you will find Sanafe Lodge to be a true gem like we did. We plan to return to Banaue, 3-days on foot was not enough time to explore the magic that makes it so special... and our party of four definitely plans to stay here again. Yes, exploring the rice terraces on foot in the rain gave us a wonderful perspective of how the rice is able to grow bountifully here... taking a warm shower at Sanafe Lodge afterwards was such a sweet treat. Remember though, if you're planning to stay in Banaue, bring ALOT of cash - no ATM's, only the BIG Banaue Hotel at the top of the hill accepts credit cards with a skip-a-heartbeat extra fee. We LOVED the experience... just wish someone told us we really needed more than enough cash for quality souvenirs to help this community thrive.

Room Tip: Book early, this place fills up quick! many walk-ins are turned away. Go deluxe (one queen size bed) if you want a private bath. Hostel type rooms (bunk beds) have shared bathroom if you're with group of friends or if you're a frugal traveler.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Sanafe is right by the market. The location may not be to everyone's taste but we liked being in the heart of town. Our room was clean and comfortable -- nothing particularly special, but good. Wish we'd had a view of something other than a water tank but that's the only real complaint. The terrace is defintely the best place in town to sit and admire the view and the food was pretty good, to, w/o being brilliant. I was espcially pleased with the pinakbet vegetable dish.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple