“Cheap, cheerful and The View!”
Review of Sanafe Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banaue
Sanafe Lodge
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I stayed for a night at Sanafe. We did not book, and walked here from the bus terminal. We took a double room that had its own bathroom. We didn't view any other places, however from the outside I doubt any would've been remarkably greater quality than Sanafe.
The room was basic and clean, with 2 double beds, AC, hot water and a small window. The shower repeatedly fell from the wall mount, but otherwise the room was fine.
The lodge' restaurant served basic fare, but was all well priced and of good quality if nothing spectacular. The view from the balcony was sensational, and it would be difficult to beat for any price anywhere in the world.
Our return bus did not leave until 7pm, and we were able to extend our checkout until about 6pm for a small fee. This was a godsend after spending the day trekking through Batad, meaning we could shower and relax before our bus ride. Given a typhoon hit mis bus trip, the journey was 32 hours, so enduring this without a shower and clean clothes would've made it infinitely more difficult.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MickMF
There are newer reviews for Sanafe Lodge

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed only one night for a two day tour of Banaue and Sagada. The staff and owner - Miss Susan - know how to treat their guests. If we needed anything, all we had to do was ask and they went out of their way to accommodate. We were also fortunate to have a fantastic guide for our two day tour. He is Denwil Batangog. He is a native of Banaue, still lives there and his family owns a part of the rice terraces. We were only there for two days and he arranged a custom itinerary to fit our schedule. It was fantastic. I highyly recommend Sanafe Lodge and Denwil. His name is unique which makes it easy to find him with a quick search on google.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms offer a full wall of glass overlooking the rice terraces. Beautiful!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here a couple of days. We had the best room , a whole wall was a large glass door overlooking the spectacular view. The food is excellent, breakfast, dinner, its all really good. Susan, the owner, is warm, welcoming, and a very classy lady.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights before heading to sagada.
The staff are very helpful and accommodating. The rooms have everything you need (a socket would be nice though)
Great location to visit banaue viewpoint or batad terraces
The food is also incredible and eating in the patio overlooking the terraces and town is priceless
People who say its quiet obviously shouldn't visit north Luzon, perhaps boracay would be better suited

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Qsfyiif
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I read about Sanafe Lodge on a travel magazine and I got curious because of the rave recommendation of the writer who happens to be a close friend of the owner of the lodge, Ms. Susan Paredes.

They replied promptly to my email and I was able to book the deluxe queen room for four nights. The room costs 1,600.00 pesos per night. Also, they gave me contact details of tour guides. I chose Joel Ognayon and he turned out to be one of the best guides I have known.

Upon my arrival, Ms. Susan and her staff welcomed me like family and I was led to my room (Room No. 2). The room was simple and clean with a fantastic view of the mountains, terraces and river.

The view from the veranda was wonderful. I had breakfast there every morning and it's a surreal experience drinking brewed coffee while watching the scenery. Customer service was very good. My food arrived on time and the food was okay. It's pricier but that was compensated by the view, service, quietness of the place and free wifi.

During my second night, I ordered spaghetti because I was not satistied with my previous dinner. I was not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised that the spaghetti was very delicious and the serving was huge. I ended up ordering spaghetti every dinner. You should also try their special sandwich. It complemented the spaghetti well.

The tours were amazing. You should go to Batad Rice Terraces and Tappiya Falls. A challenging hike.

Because of the soreness and cramps in my legs, I asked the receptionist to arrange for a massage. I had a hard time going down the stairs. The masseuse was an expert in hilot (filipino traditional massage). It was painful every time she pressed my calf muscles and legs. I almost requested her to stop but I gathered enough courage to continue. She said that I will feel better after the massage. I had a nice sleep and, after two days, I did not feel any pain or discomfort in my legs anymore.

One night, my attention was drawn to the pictures near the dining table. I saw a photo of the former president of the Philippines, Ferdinand Marcos, presiding in the swearing-in of a government official. Ms. Susan approached me and said that the official in the photo is her father. Her father was a former governor of Ifugao province. She also said that her brother owns a law firm in Manila.

There are a couple of things that need to be addressed. First, no free shampoo and toothpaste. You will have to buy outside which is a hassle. Second, no TV and wifi in the room. Lastly, breakfast should be included in the accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Franztraveler
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I got a room at Greenview, not Sanafe, because I didn't like Lonely Planet's charaterization of the Sanafe as "dead in the off-season" and the higher prices. However, the food at Greenview was pretty awful so I came to the Sanafe for a meal, and another, and another. No matter what I ordered, it was delicious! I especially liked the fried banana with sesame seeds. The patio was beautiful and it was a really nice place to eat. However, Lonely Planet was right. It was dead. However, maybe the 3rd time I went, I met the owner and talked with her a bit and we discussed the Lonely Planet review. She insisted that the prices in the book are wrong, that she also has 250 peso rooms and that it isn't "dead." Well, there weren't that many people hanging out on the patio and I couldn't figure out why...I think it actually might be Lonely Planet's description keeping people away.
Anyway, I agreed with the owner that Lonely Planet was not right and I told her I would write to them about it. I also thought it best to write here as well.
Please remember, this is mostly a review of the patio, restaurant, staff, and owner. I didn't stay but kept my room at Greenview (I just stopped eating there). (by the way, except for the food, I had no complaints about the Greenview Lodge so no reason to leave)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

First off, let me get this out of the way. The choices for accommodation in Banaue is quite thin and most of them cater mostly to backpackers. Sanafe Lodge is one of them. From the outside, it doesn't look like much (and honestly, I almost turned back). But if you can get past it, you will be in for a nice surprise. The inside have a sort of quirkiness that you half expect in places like this. The veranda offers a magnificent view of the rice terraces. We stayed in deluxe rooms and they are quite okey for the price. It is of modest size, clean, and the hot water works. There is an average speed free wifi internet in the reception/veranda which is okey for normal browsing. Owner/manager looks after the guests quite well.

On the i wish they could improve on part...

I wish they have TVs in rooms. There is hardly a night life in Banaue and in the evening its the only entertainment option for guests. Or if they can't provide one for each room, at least provide more wifi routers so we can surf even in our rooms.

Food is okey but a bit on the pricey side (about 3-4 dollars per menu item). For those that are budget conscious, it is near the market so there are a lot if other eating options.

• Stayed: July 2013