“What a wonderful hotel!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Richwood
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We came for a quick trip to Covington/Cincinnati and booked a night at this hotel. We looked at several hotels via Expedia.com but actually found out that booking directly through the hotel's website saved us more money.

Always a worried traveler, we can report that this hotel is sparkling clean, no bed bugs or any bugs were found anywhere in our room, and even though we faced the highway and was directly behind the elevator; our room was whisper quiet all night.

We decided to blow the budget and upgraded to the Executive Suite and are so VERY glad we did. Our room was fabulous and so spacious. The living room/dining/kitchen area was large and well stocked and the sofa bed pullout was actually quite comfortable.

We had such a great experience checking into the hotel even though my request for an early check in was not in the computer system. Once we let the front desk agent know of my need due to a disability, she quickly had the maid service prepare our room and we were in our suite within 15 minuets. For such a quick cleaning, our room smelled fresh, the entire room was sparkling clean, and extra towels had been stocked in the bathroom area.

The pool was very large and heated to a just right temperature, the hot tub was hot but comfortable enough to allow for a nice long soak, and when we let the front desk know there were no towels, a whole armload was delivered in 5 min.

Breakfast was quite well stocked and even included a cheese omelet. We were satisfied with the food's temperature, taste, and variety and was impressed it was so constantly attended to by a hotel employee.

The front desk helped us find all kinds of great places to visit besides the big attractions upon our request and suggested some great places for a pizza and/or other late night snack. Our checkout was so quick and we were thanked for our patronage by every hotel employee we met.

We will be planning many more vacations at this hotel as the budget allows because we had such an amazingly wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive suite if you have a few kids as you get two TV's, a king sized bed, a so...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
hiexpressrichwood, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hello Rose,

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Richwood, Ky and for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience at our hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My family only stayed one night here but it was very spacious and comfortable. The beds were perfect. I think the price is a little steep for the location being a little farther from attractions but it was nice going into a room and not finding any trace of bed bugs or uncleanliness. The only thing I found was that the pool was not heated very well and we didn't get to stay in very long with our toddler. However, the other children didn't seem to mind the cooler water. I think the heater may need to be looked at because I found a couple reviews about the water temperature being cold as well. I think it's a great place!

• Stayed: May 2014
hiexpressrichwood, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello Mmink0005,

Thanks for staying with the Holiday Inn Express Richwood, KY and the great review. Our pool and spa are heated to a maximum of 84 degrees and 104 degrees Fahrenheit respectively. That is the maximum allowed by our local health department. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had a good experience staying at the facility. It was very clean and housekeeping was always done before we got back to our room for the night. The continental breakfast is far from continental it had Milk, Yogurt, Hard Boiled Eggs, Cereal, Eggs, Bacon, Biscuts and Gravy, Omelets, Sausage, bagles, Toast, Muffins, Pancakes, Fruit, Juice, Coffee and the best of all, their signature Cinnamon Rolls (Yum). Some of these items change depending on the day but we were never dissapointed. It is fhe first time I ever seen a pancake machine where you press the button and a pancake pops out.

This facilty also has a pool and hot tub which we did not use but looked nice from the elevator. The hotel is located about 20 miles from Newport/downtown Cincy but is located right off the interstate and it is easy to get to in a nice area.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and could hear a little it of interstate noise but it was not unbearabl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
hiexpressrichwood, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello Theresa M,

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Express in Richwood, KY. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is a beautiful facility!! Came for a two night stay to visit the Creation Museum in Petersburg, KY. they found as many discounts possible including our room and museum tickets. The staff were so friendly and helpful, even the night shift staff! Facility was so clean and modern. Smell of a hotel is very important to me because some say non smoking but you can smell it, here it was great! It smelled like soft Cologne on my floor! Breakfast was very good and fresh each morning. Overall very great hotel and will definitely recommend others and come back myself!!

Room Tip: The king suite had a king size bed and pull out sofa. Really good for family because it has two TVs...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle W

Hello Michelle W,

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Express in Richwood, KY. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the Creation Museum. Please visit us again when you are in the area. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I recently stayed here on business and found it just a little far from the Cincinnati area, but it worked. Upon arrival I had to wait a few minutes for someone to arrive at the front desk to greet me, I saw my name on the board; however as the girl searched through the paper reservations that were out for this day, she told me she had no reservation and I suggested ok, i would go elsewhere down the road.... she finally found my reservation gave me my keys to room 318; after entering suite and opening the far closet door I was hit by a strong mold odor and could not believe the thick black mold on the walls. I asked her to come up with new keys and showed her the problem and that I could not believe this problem in the room....
She transferred me to room 218 which was very similar in size and space having a full wet bar with many cabinets, mini fridge and microwave. It had an oversize bathroom and nice bedroom area. The room had 2 nice TVs, very spacious suite with nice living room area and dining area too.
I observed that the bathrooms must share a common floor drain connected to other rooms that was very noisy and was even smelly of sewage that you could tell what your neighbors were doing near you.
The price was very good for the space, but I probably will not stay at this location the next time I come through.

Room Tip: Stay away from the black mold in 318
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EWBrown
hiexpressrichwood, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello EWBrown,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Rest assured you concerns have been addressed. We hope to see you again in the future. Have a great day!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

When walking into the room, there is a statement from the hotel that they are striving for a perfect 10. Therefore, this review is based on that very lofty expectation.

My family was very happy to be able to find a hotel within a reasonable distance that had rooms that would accommodate our family of six. We also were pleased to receive a discounted rate by mentioning we would be visiting the Creation Museum, as well as being able to purchase reduced-price tickets at the hotel. First of all, the room was clean on arrival, which is the #1 thing I need in a hotel. The two queen beds were fairly comfortable, though the mattress on the pullout couch was uncomfortable. However, after discussing it with the front desk, we were provided with extra comforters to put on top of it which was a great improvement. Housekeeping service was great, though we did have to request extra towels each night to accommodate all of us staying in the room. We could see the highway from our room but had none of the problems with highway noise that other reviewers noted. The mini-fridge and microwave were welcome for keeping beverages and making nighttime popcorn!

Probably the biggest disappointment at this hotel was the quality of the WiFi. My family would be considered high users of technology, so this is important to us. Unfortunately, the WiFi was slow and would frequently lose connection altogether. I don't know if it was due to the quality of the signal or not having enough bandwidth from their ISP, but as an IT professional, I think they should have a survey done to identify and fix these issues as both business travelers and families rely more and more on connectivity

The breakfast was included in the room rate and really was excellent for the price. Staying there four nights, it was nice that it was slightly different each morning. In addition to the staples of cereal, bagels, and muffins, there were also hot options of eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy, and cinnamon rolls. There was also a machine that make pancakes at the push of a button, and though they did not have much in the way of flavor, my kids enjoyed the novelty of such a machine. Unfortunately, one morning having breakfast at 9:00am (breakfast hours ending at 9:30), the machine ran out of batter. When asking to have it refilled, we were initially told by the attendant that she could not do it, and it required some persuasion to get it refilled, since there were still a number of other families also eating breakfast at that time. Overall the included breakfast was good, and I ate much better at breakfast than I normally do!

The pool was of a decent size, and the hot-tub was typical of a mid-price hotel. The first two nights the pool was nearly unbearably cold, though the second two nights it was much more enjoyable. The hot-tub could have been a bit warmer, though I know tastes vary on the optimal temperature. The exercise room was very small, with only a treadmill, recumbent bike, and elliptical. All through were in some state of significant wear, with loose handles on the elliptical, a very touch safety sensor on the treadmill, and a somewhat rough ride to the bike.

Aside from a few hiccups, our stay was enjoyable. I can't say it was a perfect 10, but 8 isn't a bad score at all. Perfection is nearly impossible to achieve. If they address the WiFi issue, and can keep the pool at a tolerable temperature all the time, I will definitely consider staying here again on a future visit.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for extra padding if you are going to use the pullout sofa bed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank brewcrewfan80
hiexpressrichwood, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Express in Richwood, KY. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Rest assured we have looked into the slow internet and have addressed the situation. When in the area again, it would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed in room 110, was very worried about being on the main floor with housekeeping room right beside us, and across from the pool area. Must have been a slow Sunday, because we didn't hear a thing from the hotel. Was definitely awaken through the night because we were on the highway side of the hotel. This room is a "suite", not what I would call a suite, but does have 2 queens and a pullout couch, all in one room. Mattresses not extremely comfortable, but good enough, but my 13 year old was to sleep in the pull out, and couldn't! The mattress is so thin the coils can be felt everywhere! He decided to fold up the couch and sleep on it as a couch. Ok for younger kids, but certainly not an adult. Breakfast was good, apple juice very watery. Pool is heated, but takes a bit to get use to. Hot tub was clean, with no gross coloured bubbles like in some other hotels

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't on the highway side.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dcrick
hiexpressrichwood, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Hello dcrick,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you brought up. Rest assured your concerns have been addressed and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richwood
Hampton Inn Dry Ridge
Best Western Inn Florence
#3 of 28 in Florence
Hyatt Place Cincinnati Airport/Florence
Ramada Sparta/At Speedway

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South? Share your experiences!