“Great diving. Friendly and helpful staff.”

Badladz Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Service at Badladz was top-knotch. Restaurant staff greeted me by name each time they saw me and were so friendly and helpful -- after meeting everyone, I felt like I was immediately part of the family.

As a solo female traveler, safety was a priority and the Badladz staff did a great job making me feel right at home. Resort itself is small, which makes it feel more cozy (not like one of the monstrous vacation resorts with no personality). Rooms were spartan but clean and had everything that I needed: hot water, aircon, TV. Staff was great with providing me recommendations for anything else that I needed. The Mexican restaurant's dishes were also quite tasty and very reasonably priced.

Location was perfect for what I went there to do (dive, dive, dive!). Badladz is located meters from Muelle Pier, directly accessible via a 1.5 hour ferry ride from Batangas (or indirectly via a ferry ride from Batangas to Sabang plus a 10 minute car ride from Sabang to Puerta Galera). The dive staff (Meikie, Gavin, Jojo) are very knowledgeable and I immediately felt at ease after meeting them. I was there to get my open water certification and the course was easy-as-pie to complete, thanks to Gavin's expert teaching! After a great few days of diving, I am definitely planning on going back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank shsiao05
badladz, Manager at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Glad you enjoyed us!

The diving boat is here waiting for you next time you come!

Reviewed 12 June 2011

Pulling onto the dock, you can see Badladz not 100 steps away. Some of the most friendly fun and welcoming people I have had the pleasure to meet. An even shorter walk and you are aboard their dive boat. As the guest I was not to lift a finger. All the kit was done for me, tank changes, dive briefs great (all the information needed without all the rubbish), fantastic sites and a trip to the floating bar for the surface interval! Don't let the name put you off (as it almost did for me) it's a great place, great diving and amazing, skilled and friendly people! What more could you want.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jenelf77

Just remind us next time about your lower room preference and we will sort it out for you. Remind us of this review and the first drink is on us!

Reviewed 20 December 2009

The rooms here are the garden variety; above the bar/restaurant. But the stairs up to them! By the time we got to my room I was bushed!
When I asked for a lower room I was given one right away, even though it was a double I was only charged for a single.
It is an older resort, with all the older building defects in place, but the view is spectacular! And you could not ask for a better location! It is close to all the restaurants, bars, yacht club; all the amenities I would recommend to a visitor.
The mexican food served by Badlandz is better than most I have had in the US, the drinks are competively priced.
Can not beat the location! Walk to what you need, but far enough away to be serene and quiet.
I'd go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank shelagh461
BADLADZRESORT, Manager at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2015

Hi shelagh461

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad you had a good time staying with us. We hope that you make it back here to Puerto Galera soon. We are always happy to move guests to a different room if we can.

Reviewed 4 February 2009

Wow..we overdressed. it doesn't matter how cold it is back in wherever it is you came from. you wear little clothing.
it's what you want. It's hot! Vance found himself actually throwing out the shirt he was wearing as we were checking our bags.
We arrive...Badladz..please have a shower.
that was only their hello. the welcoming event staff and resort team made the transission so natural. before i knew it vance was ordering our and were eating food before checking out dive gear and some crazy little excursions to go on.
it was consistent challenging expeditionins. we would see something new everyday, learn something about ourselves and wear our bodies out all day...only to come to a cold drink and warm hot tub. or cold swim whatever you felt like.
You get back to your room and look forward to opening the door at the end of a perfect day...to a perfect room. always freshened with a personal touch. incredible cleaning crew..so willing to give up an extra roll of toilet paper.
Met some sweet people that made the time so insimilar to any other experiance. people so smart. sometimes you all mingled if it happened...and sometimes you never spoke at all..you were pretty much on you own holiday. so much room to move around.
open yet intimate.
anyway...i won't right a book..i'll just say. it was what we needed to do.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank snotbubble

Hi snotbubble

It's always great to hear our guests had a great time with us. You're right about the weather. It's Hot! No need to bring lots of clothes. We hope to see you back here again at Badladz soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2008

Great place to stay for singles who want to go cheapest on accomodation and dive all day. Very friendly and trusting owners and great food at the restaurant but poor insulation in the rooms so you can hear the neighbor caughing and see lizards and bugs nibbling. Was nice to have a/c though it was out when we were there due to back up generator having caught fire very close to our rooms that night. Very scary to escape in the middle of the night although owners did a wonderful job dousting the flames in no time.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TCKsWorld
BADLADZRESORT, Owner at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2015

Yes, very sorry about the fire :( It was caused by a huge surge of electricity from the electrical company so not our fault.

It's funny, everyone is happy with the cheap prices BUT not happy with cheap rooms. You are correct that there is poor insulation between rooms, we plan to rebuild with concrete and then raise our prices :)

Cheers
Sean

Reviewed 13 April 2008

First let me say that I enjoyed my stay at badladz, let me tell you why and what reasons you should have to go there. Also, let me say that if you are a couple, especially a couple with a western woman in it, this is a good resort to stay at, as other resorts in areas like Sibang (sp) are within a red light district and you will get harassed.

The bad:
Badladz resort is nothing more than a steel reinforced 2 storey concrete bunker.
There are no amenities.
They will charge you 6% to use a credit card.
There is no in room phone, you have to pay to use the hotels'.
There is only 1 light in the room we were in, no reading lights.
Bathroom smelled a little like backed up sewage.
There is no beach, nor is there any way to swim from the resort, as there has boats in between the pollution.
The restaurant is expensive compared to food in town.
The constant vendors that try to harass you, fell free to buy any good from them, keep in mind every thing they sell is a fake, from coins to jewelry.
There is hot water, but because of black outs its not always available.

The good:
Great view, even tho I never bothered to look, this isn't a resort, nor is it a town you go for the view no matter what pictures you see. This isn't a place to spend your time looking out a window.
It's inexpensive, was 1300 pesos an night when we stayed. (+6%)
The mexican restaurant is very very good, better than almost every restaurant I visited in Mexico. Very good.
It's very close to town, if you want to see other parts of the island, the bikes, and jeepneys are readily available and cheap, but walk into town first, don't take the ones parked at the docks.
Air conditioner is very very adequate, you'll find yourself getting up in the middle of the night to turn it down. Note: if you do not require air conditioning there are rooms available almost next door for less than 1/2 the price.
Television and cable tv.

The best:
If you want to see some world class diving and do it inexpensively, this is the place to go. Titan divers is located within the hotel, Trevor Bettencourt is the proprietor and a great guy, he'll show you truly amazing things. He's straightup man, which is a breath of fresh air considering the area.
Dives are the same price as anywhere else in the world; 1200 pesos a tank, but the more you buy the more the discount.
There are lots of dive sites in the area, you would have to stay for a while to seem them all.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank horsthief

Hi Horsthief

We are sorry that your stay was not 100% great for you. The resort has changed a lot since your review, with new owners and updated rooms. We are still making delicious Mexican food and the diving is still amazing.

Reviewed 18 March 2008

990 per night, great value and location in the centre of Puerto Galera, overlooking the harbour. Hot shower, good AC

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MillOaks

Hi MillOaks

Thanks for taking time to write us a review. It's always nice to hear that our guests are happy and had a good time.

Gavin Featherstone