“A relaxing getaway from Manila”

Badladz Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I ended my vacation in the Philippines with a trip to Puerto Galera. Since this was my first visit to this place, I was not sure what to expect. The youtube videos posted by Sean were a great help. I made my reservations only 2 days before arriving at Badladz. I emailed the resort and got a quick reply from Rhoann. She provided me with detailed instructions of how to get the PG from Manila. I got the Ceres bus from Buendia in Makati, express to Batangas pier. That was a total barain at 130 php = $3.17. The journey was safe & went off without incident. It also helps if you speak a little Tagalog. I had fun practicing with what little I knew. My recommendation is that if you are not fond of travelling by water. Catch the earliler boat out of Batangas pier before noon as the seas are normally calmer in the mornings. I arrived at the Mullie pier at about 1:30 pm and had no trouble finding Badladz. The room was cozy and clean. Hot water shower good with strong water pressure. I dove with Badladz Adventure Divers, which is located on the same property. I was able to leave my dive gear with them over night for several days & had no worries that I would not get it all back. The best thing about this resort and dive center are the people. I was able to get to know them and I have a feeling that I will be back to visit my new friends. Being able to spend time with the staff of the resort outside the resort was an extra treat. I highly recommend getting to know the locals. They are friendly and genuine in making you feel safe and do their best to ensure you have a memorable stay. I met owner Mylene and her family, thank you for allowing me to share in your celebration in Tabinay. Gavin and Rhoann thanks for the hospitality. Jojo, thanks for sharing a meal & drink. Vea, Lin and the rest of the resort staff - Thanks you for the Aloha. I did not want to leave, and for me that means the trip was a success.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank mjmboogie
BADLADZRESORT, Manager at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2015

Hi Mjmboggie

Thank you so much for your great review. We really enjoyed you company, you were part of the family from day one. We really hope to see you back here again ready for some more fun.

Regards

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed october 2012 as a couple.
Was outside busy period so wasn't too busy.
Rooms are basic - we had 2 queen beds, a/c, fan, TV with a million channels and bathroom. Hot water didnt last forever, but when you;re in the tropics, who cares. There are geckos everywhere outside - maybe got one or two in the room, but we get that here in Aus so its not a problem.
Free wifi which was great to use when sitting in the restaurant.
Nothing was too much to ask of the staff - the sink broke in the bathroom one day, and it was fixed by the time we got back from scuba diving.
Diving is great - equipment is new and very easy to use. Jojo is a fantastic guide and you are back in at lunchtime after doing 2 dives.
The location half way between White Beach and Sabang is very handy - means you are not in amongst the crowds every day but there is everything within a 5 min walk of the hotel.
We will definately be back

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lara_sydney_1

Hi lara_sydeny_1

Thank you so much for taking time to wright us a great review. We are always so happy that our guests enjoyed there stay. We hope to see you again very soon.

Regards

Reviewed 13 October 2012

I agree with Linda P from Brisbane when she said the rooms are disgusting, hot shower is not working and lizards and bugs are inside the room..and what did you say? all hotels in the puerto galera and the entire philippines ? Perhaps you never been around the ENTIRE Philippines or maybe you were always in the bad side of the Philippines and use it as an excuse why your hotel is dirty. I would never ever recommend this hotel. I put a rating 1 because that's the least that you can rate, but honestly, there is no rate for this dirty place that you call hotel.

Room Tip: Never book from this hotel.
Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dubaichay

Hi dubaichay

Thank you for your feed back. Something clearly went wrong at the resort for your stay. We pride our selfs on keeping the resort very clean but I am very sorry that your stay was not enjoyable like most of our other guests.

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Great spot. Rooms were pretty good with Air con, fan, TV and bathroom. I'm not after much more with luxuries, didn't use the aircon anyway. Excellent Mexican food. Pretty bloody authentic and I couldn't stop ordering it.

The white guy cruising around, who I assumed to be the owner, could have been friendlier. However, the girls behind the counter doubling as top chefs were sweethearts.

If you like roosters crowing at 2:30am, and the town bells going off at 6:00 am, but in one of the most beautiful harbours in the world then this place is for you.

Tip: Bring cash. ATMs not loaded all the time, but will deduct you anyway if you try. Even local cashed up westerners were signing IOUs at the local bars.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keds12
BADLADZRESORT, Manager at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Had six dives with badladz last week.
JoJo is a professional diver and has a gift for spotting unusual sea creatures.
Rental equipment was in very good condition and each dive was completed without any problems.
I felt safe and enjoyed my diving at all times with badladz.
see you next time badladz.

chris

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Scuba_Chris10
BADLADZRESORT, Manager at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Glad you had a great time! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed in the off season with only one other couple staying at the time. Floors are concrete and dirty and the hot water takes 7 minutes to come out and disappears in 2 minutes. Had cold shower both times. Mini beetles and lizards crawling over walls at night. When having shower, the floor became flooded and wen out onto concrete. Will not be staying again and will not be recommending to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a tiled floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lyndal P
BADLADZRESORT, Guest Relations Manager at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Hey,

We understand how you feel and we're sorry that you had a negative experience at Badladz. It can be really frustrating when you have a holiday and things go wrong... in this case, it sounds like we could have done better, and we apologize for not living up to your expectations. But we also wanted to clear a few things up -

You're right, it's off season, which means most resorts in Puerto Galera have no guests, often for weeks at a time. But we have at least a couple of rooms filled consistently which means we're doing something right.

The concrete floors are painted and are swept every time we have room cleaning (we'll do it as often as once a day if you ask). We also clean each room as soon as guests depart, including clean sheets and toiletries. If something's dirty, guests just need to ask at the front desk and we'll clean it.

As for the shower, sorry to hear about the water problem. Some of the rooms have occasional problems with the water. We'll look into it and get it fixed :)

It's worth keeping in mind that this is the tropics... it's hot and humid and the jungle is nearby. You'll never escape the beetles and lizards... it'll be the same at every resort and hotel in Puerto Galera, and probably the Philippines. There's no need to worry as they're not dangerous and they keep to themselves.

Thanks again for the feedback and we're truly sorry you had a negative experience.

Safe travels!

John
- Badladz Online Manager

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed before and went back again , same great welcome service and the mexican food best I have had in the Philippines, you cant beat Badlads is my view for a Mindoro break , you get superb value for money and are so well looked after, thank you Badlads .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank eub4
BADLADZRESORT, Owner at Badladz Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Yeaaa! Thanks for staying. Glad you enjoyed your break!