“Outstanding Value for Your "Pera"”

Capt'n Gregg's Accommodation
Ranked #8 of 52 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
Kwajalein, Marshall Islands
“Outstanding Value for Your "Pera"”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I have been diving at Sabang since 2005, and a few years back started trekking there twice annually. I have always stayed at Capt'n Gregg's for the great staff (restaurant and dive center) and atmosphere, awesome location (central), and panoramic view of Sabang harbor. This ain't Marriott or Hilton or Shangri-la but for the money it is outstanding value. Choice of new rooms upstairs and (as I call them) classic rooms on the restaurant and dive center levels all priced with and without aircon providing flexibility especially if you're travelling a in group with mixed personal budgets. No truths are told nightly at the Tea Table where Chuck's famous Jin Juice is always available and local Filipinos, local Ex-pats, and Guests mingle and laugh. Capt'n Gregg's accepts cash and credit cards. (There is an additional 6% banking fee for credit cards.) Always love my stays and feel sad leaving my home away from home when the holiday is up because the staff and local friends that you've made during your stay see you off with a personal touch.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have great views, and the rooms on the restaurant level have pretty damned good views...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I had been there for the August first week long weekend and had an excellent time.
The location is almost about half a minute from the Sabang pier (you can actually see the hotel board while the boat docks into the station)
The food was excellent, infact, we did not even wish to try the food somewhere else. The chilli garlic bread was really good, fresh and well toasted/warmed. We had that a couple of time.
The owner Chuck and the staff Karen and team were really nice, warm and accommodating.
They have a dive shop and diving for the first time my experience was really very good. Mads (instructor) was really very patient with me :)
The only point to note was that they charge a 5% fee when paying by credit cards and they only accept Visa.
Apart from that, an excellent stay and had a wonderful time.
Thanks Chuck and team!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
singapore (Canadian)
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Went there with two friends who were there for the diving and they just loved the place. I had one of the nicer rooms on the top floor with a great ocean view from the balcony. No complaints at all. Food was decent and I swear they put something in those Gin Juice to make you giggle.
As I was not there for the diving, I was disappointed by the (lack of) beach in Sabang but this has nothing to do with the place we stayed at. If you go to Sabang, be prepared for this. If you like diving with a great place to stay, you will love Capt'n Gregg's.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank dmancda
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was my 2nd stay with Capt'n Greggs. Both times I have been thrilled with the place. It is affordable, clean and comfortable. If you're expecting The Hilton, its not.... its a good quality dive resort. Rooms are always clean, always well maintained (I broke the shower in my room and it was repaired within an hour). The restaurant has excellent food, the service is absolutely impeccable. As others have noted, please be aware that the beach is.... hmmmmmm at Sabang. But, the reason for going there is to dive. Capt'n Greggs has one of the best reputations for its diving - although to be honest, I stayed 10 days this trip and was sick the whole time, so didn't get to go under with them... Dive prices are good, sites are good and the quality of training is exceptional (this from my previous trip). I couldn't recommend anywhere more than this place.

Room Tip: I like the downstairs room, its bigger and has direct access from the dive shop.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lifeinsingaporeis
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 June 2013

3 nights stay at the resort. Everything was great. Had a good deal by emailing the resort directly, and the standard room is a steal! excellent location, good food, and a good massage downstairs! diving was very affordably priced with excellent divemasters. Just be aware that there is no nice beach at sabang and the white beach was disappointing. This is really a place for divers. Previous complaints of being noisy at night was unwarranted as i slept very well each night. Recharged myself during the holidays.

just a tiny little area for improvement, there were a few visible cobwebs around the corners of the room so the cleanliness can be improved. Did Not inform the staff as it was just a few nights stay and i must say, the service of the crew is excellent. overall, a fantastic stay and very good value for money! get the standard room if possible, cheap and excellent!

Room Tip: standard room, skip the stairs and enjoy the seabreeze and view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DoDoSG
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Just back in the UK from 10nts at Captn Greggs: 5 mins walk from ferry, value & standard is unsurpassed, rooms are adequate size, air conditioned & clean. The bar food is excellent, daily lunch & dinner specials so menu does not become repetitive. Staff very accommodating & friendly.
Dive operation is very slick with excellent guides & facilities, 4 dives a day cater for all needs/experience from novice to tech.
You would struggle to find a better operation in Sabang, highly recommended......
Anthony

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tourist2008
Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed here for a week of diving recently. I had a room near the restaurant which is on the second floor of the building - facing sort of north. It was a lovely, clean room with fan, A/C and ample supply of hot water. The food here is really good. I had all but one meal here during my stay and never got sick on the food.

The diving is a little crazy here as this part of the beach is a busy tourist area with lots of boats coming and going all day. Capt'n Gregg's has 2 small simple boats that can take out about 4 divers at a time. The boat rides to the dive sites are very short and they come back to the resort for the surface intervals. I tried to get a trip to Verde Island, but it was cancelled due to rough water. I hear this happens frequently so you might want to double check or see if another dive shop is going.

They do have a couple of bigger boats for more people for longer trips. I made all my arrangements on-line with Chuck who answered my emails very quickly - with short no-frills replies. I had good dives but had to talk with the guide in the beginning of the week for dives that lasted more than one hour as I am accustomed to 60 minutes or longer. There are some nice people hanging around the shop including Ted, who doesn't actually work for the shop - but probably should - he helped me a lot and made me feel happy about coming all this way to this place.

I made my way down to Sabang after diving at Anilao. I went to the public ferry terminal in Batangas City and got on an 1130 ferry and was in Sabang by about 1pm. Capt'n Gregg's had someone there to meet me and it was a short walk to the hotel from the Sabang Ferry Terminal.
Sabang is a bustling tourist area with all kinds of shops, bars, and restaurants. I had fun just sitting on my balcony watching everything happening – even the floating bars out in the water which are lit up at night.

As far as cost - I felt like it was really cheap for everything - which I paid at the end of my stay in Pesos and USD.

Upon departure I took the big public ferry back to Batangas City and was met by my driver - arranged by Chuck - who took me to Manila Airport without any problems.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo