“EL GALLEON EXPERIENCE”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Hyderabad, India
“EL GALLEON EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We Went by the trip advisor reviews . We were more than happy with our overall experience . They receieve you to a plan at the airport and reach you to the Hotel smoothly . The dive operation is the best available . I had a minor alergic issue post the dive . In a distant land and that too on an Island these pose concerns, I was attending a conference post the dive holiday. The marketing head Alison was reassuring and walked me and my wife all the way to the doctor's !! this will always remain with me as a very touching gesture . She is certainly an asset to the resort .The service staff are again outstanding . I will though not say the same about the admn / office associates . One needs to go over the details to make sure . Rooms are basic and just fine for a dive experience .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GVER13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 20 September 2013

El Galleon is one of the few if not the only 5 star PADI resort in Puerto Gallera. They have a nice DIve Shop and they distribute the brand Cressi Sub. They have a really good italian chef and their prices are very reasonable. Be ready to pay in dollars or convert as they fully cater mostly to tourist. The rooms are a bit small. They also have a small pool good for scuba training.

What i love about this resort is their getty. If you are a diver, you will love how they organize gears and do their dives. They also have 2 speed boats capable of carrying up to 12 divers.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms that are way up (family room is on the 3rd floor) a bit hard to climb.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John_Ong1114
BEIJING
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I have visited El Galleon for many years and it is great that they have reinvested back into the hotel/dive resort over the years. I would have the say they have a first class dive operation, one of the best I have been to and surely the best in the area.

The part of my stay that was not great was the food that the resort offered. The menu does not seem to have changed in 15 years and cannot remember anything I ate that was too memorable. Two items that really puzzling me is 1. Their standard coffee is still instant coffee, this place is no longer the discount destination it used to be and instant coffee should not even be an option, how much does it cost to brew a pot of coffee? Would expect more from a French Chef. 2. The fruit selection is really disappointing, when I was there they only had bananas and mangos…it was not because of the lack of local supply, as street vendors in Sabang had a very wide selection of fruits, many of which I ended up buying and eating for breakfast in the restaurant.

I actually ended up eating at other venues for dinner many nights during my stay because they offered so much more and at cheaper prices.

Lastly, if someone is paying $100 per night for a room you should really make sure the WIFI is working in those rooms, 6 out of 7 nights the WIFI was not working in our room and had to go down to the restaurant to get online.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and will definitely be coming back and hope you continue to reinvest in your business.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are best value.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HANK68Beijing
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The diving is the primary drawcard in Sebang, accommodation is a secondary aspect although my wife is a non diver.

Firstly the diving which there are countless operators in Sebang and I tried quite a few of them and found El Galleon to be a very well run organisation catering for novice and experienced divers. What sets these apart from other dive operators in the area is that they have a large dock area with several boats and an expansive shed to store your dive gear. Also its possible to do 5 dives a day and run into deco if your not careful and most of the other operators only do 3 dives in a day.

I wouldnt describe the place as a resort because there is nothing to do within the property if your a non diver but its location is tranquil and far enough away from the noise of Sebang with a pleasant seascape outlook with an alfresco dining area.

Spent many a surface interval in the the dining terrace and the buffet breakfasts were very good by Phillippine standards.

We stayed in a budget room which is very basic and simply somewhere to sleep. The pool was often in use teaching divers hence if your a non diver you would probably spend the daytime elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reverend-spock
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I agree with all the other reviewers comments on this site that gave it a 4-5 star rating. My partner and I stayed in the studio apartments that were an 8 minute walk from the main part of El Galleon. They were doing building work very close to our accom. but management limited it to when they could see our shoes were gone from our front door. Although the day we left, another couple moved into a studio apartment next to us and their air con unit was VERY noisy. I wouldn't go back to the Philippines again in April....way too hot. However the air-conditioning was excellent, and the diving was good. I have done better diving in the Philippines, but I can see why Puerto Galera is so popular.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our studio room high up, with lovely views, and away from the noise and bust...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BunnyBright
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Great place, Very friendly and helpful staff. The food at the restaurant was excellent with a good choice. You just need to be fit to get to your room if up the stairs at the top. A nice pool to relax in after a good day of diving. all in all I will be going back.

Room Tip: Its a bit of a work out to get up to the upper rooms..but it did me good. Nice room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 10 June 2013

To get a five start review a place should be exceptional, and this place is not quite that, but it is really, really good. The pool view room was small. Only room for one bedside table, and a room table would have been useful to drop stuff on. (We used the top of the fridge) The wardrobe was large with lots of hangers. The bathroom was big and well lit. The towels were very good, and water pressure, while not exceptional, was fine. All in all, the room covered all the bases.

The resaurant was large and OK, the best thing was the Friday curry night. But there are loads of restaurants aloong the front and in the town, and it is good to go out and try different ones. Get input from other guests. Everybody compares ther experiences.

There is a small but OK pool, but only four loungers. There is room for another four.

The diving operation is very good. Jamie was a wonderful dive guide. My wife and I completed 500 logged dives while we were there and the dive centre (Asia Divers) gave us a celebratory tee-shirt and a round of applause from everyone in the Point Bar on our final night. Lovely people. We had a really enjoyable time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple