“Dive @La Laguna” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Hong Kong, China
“Dive @La Laguna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

It was not the first time I arrived Philippines but first time to Puerto Galera. La Laguna offered me a good experience for diving, especially nice DM. I recommend it for every beginner divers.

Room Tip: Ground Floor better
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Hotel
The hotel itself is not overly impressive. It is OK. It is clean, and I love the atmosphere of the restaurant. The rooms are what I would normally expect in a 3-star hotel... there was kind of an old, musty smell, they look a bit old, and there are no special amenities. There was a bit of trouble with the hot water in my room the first couple days. But the room was certainly clean and adequate for me. And it was quiet enough to sleep without any issues.

The Staff
Wow. Everyone here was very nice. In my experience, Filipinos are generally all warm-hearted, polite, friendly, and service-oriented, so no surprise here... but in any case I enjoyed the friendly staff in all areas. As a solo traveler, being able to be friendly with the bartenders, the waitresses, the dive centre staff, etc makes a huge difference and this was a great aspect of this place.

The Restaurant
Atmosphere is perfect... an open-air bungalow feeling right on the beach. And the food was mostly quite good. Stay away from their Pizza and "Chinese food" which is not so great, but the Chicken La Laguna (Coconut curry sauce with raisins) was great, and their banana pancakes with fresh mangoes are AWESOME in the morning. There are plenty of choices for breakfast and lunch which is primarily what I ate here, as I preferred to explore Small La Laguna and Sabang areas for dinners.

Dive Center
Fully equipped, friendly staff, and I had an AWESOME intructor named Leo. He was brilliant. He was funny, friendly, and informative. Leo's combination of humor, and helping me, and pushing me to do things on my own and learn was exactly the right balance and made my experience earning the PADI Open Water Diver certificate at Big La Laguna perfect. Thanks, Leo!

Diving
I made 5 dives from PG around 12 - 20 meter depths, all very close to Sabang... within 10 minutes by boat. I found the water to be a bit chilly for tropical diving (24 - 27 degrees celcius) so although I might normally only wear a dive shirt or at most a shortie, I preferred a long wetsuit. The water was a little bit murkier than when I have been in Thailand also... and not quite as many fish, but I was able to see a 2 meter long Banded Sea Krait swimming close to us which was very cool, as well as a Frogfish "walking" along the sea floor, and a good size octopus - all of which were firsts for me. To be fair, since I was doing a course, there may be much cooler places which I didn't have a chance to see. Maybe next time.

The Beach
I can't say anything for the beach... it would be OK if there were not so many darn boats! But because of the boats, you can't really enjoy swimming or laying on the beach here. You come here to dive, not to enjoy the beach. If you want to enjoy the beach, best to go somewhere else I think

The Pool
VERY small pool which was mostly filled up by divers like me doing PADI courses. Not too much sun or places to lay down here. I wouldn't pick the hotel based on the pool. But again, this was OK for me as my goal was to dive and get my PADI certificate.

The Night Life
The Hotel itself has a small bar called the Gecko Bar. Try the "Gecko Shot"... 5 mixed shots in a row and you get a T-shirt. I enjoyed chatting with the guys at the bar a bit, but really unless you are there with friends/family to drink together, you are better off heading over to Sabang. The drawback to this hotel is that it is relatively far away... It's about a 20 minute walk up and down dark stairs and along a few beaches to get to the night life of Sabang... and if you met anyone in Sabang you wanted to bring back to your hotel with you... good luck getting them to walk 20 minutes back with you... sometimes through high tide where I had to walk through the water on the beach. Not impossible, but not convenient either. That said, within your reach there are lots of cool local bars and discos and girlie bars and a couple cool live bands and karaoke and everything else that you might want in Sabang, so it is certainly available if you want it. You also have to go out here if you want an ATM - There is only one up past "Tropicana".

The way home
Bit of a bummer that it took me 2 hours to make the 45 minute crossing by ferry boat since the boat we booked only went 15 minutes out, then broke down and we waited an hour for another boat to come get us, tow us back to Sabang area, then make the transfer (self and luggage) then begin the 45 minute crossing again... but they did get me back to Manila in one piece.

The Price
VERY reasonable in my opinion. Actually there were some insanely cheap deals on Agoda for only $40 per night or something, but since I wanted the best room (Beach Suite) I contacted the hotel myself and paid $110 per night, which is still cheap. The diving itself was only $500 or so for a full PADI Open Water course, all equipment rental, all instruction, materials, and dives, plus one 1 fun dive. Again, very low prices in my opinion. For 5 nights at the hotel, plus all my food and drinking I only paid around $1100-$1200.

Overall
If you are a diver, and you want to go to Puerto Galera and have a good dive experience and nice atmosphere hotel, then this is the place for you. Absolutely. Great place - I recommend it. If you want a relaxing beach location, or more convenience to the night life, then best find another option... perhaps not Puerto Galera at all from what I saw.

Room Tip: Beach Suites have a nice view. Pool-side rooms may be a bit noisy if people have kids.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank blandmc
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Was looking for a place close to Manila for a weekend getaway. Quiet location within walking distance to the action. Swimming out front was better than most areas on the island but not spectacular. Overall a good spot for a quick escape.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Coloradotraveler14
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

It came to a diving tour and it was really fantastic. The hotel was also wonderful with great foods and with comfortable rooms. I also tried the bar, which was very nice. I would return even tomorrow!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank marandiva
Muntinlupa, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

Me and my sister stayed here for two nights. We chose the beach front room and it was located on the second floor of the new building. The room is new and fully furnished. The view from our room was breathtaking. This beach club has a bar and swimming pool. The swimming pool is quite small but we don't mind. The people were friendly and approachable. Maam vicky and maam Ivy they were the people who accommodated us. You can easily go to small La Laguna and sabang just 15-20 mins walk. The beach is clean and well maintained. Most people who stayed here were divers but I highly recommend it to many young and old. Can't wait to come back and stay here.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Steph0711990
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

I have stayed at LLBC on a few occassions now and will never stay anywhere else again in Puerto Galera ( have stayed at a number of other places )

The hotel is well located in my opinion being out of Sabang so you get the peace and quiet when you choose to do so but also only a 10-15 min walk when you wish to go to Sabang. White Beach is also fairly easy to get to when you need to

The rooms are fairly basic but have everything you need and always very clean and comfortable. The swimmimg pool is quite small but very nice and an excellent temperature in my opinion. There is a lovely beach strip right in front of the hotel great for swimming and snorkelling.The big highlight is the "Gecko Bar" which is a simply magnificent veranda style bar overlooking the pristine area. This bar has absolutely everything with TV with international channels, music, movies and a nice pool table to play on. This area is so relaxing and a great place to mix with others. The menu is incredible with so many choices to cater for all tastes imagineable and the quality of the food is exceptional with absolutely outstanding attentative service

The waters in the surrounding area are just gorgeous and relaxing and outstanding swimming, snorkelling and diving

Massive tick for LLBC and the actual place itself as it is a pleasure to stay at such a friendly fun resort. Do yourself a favor dont stay anywhere else !

Room Tip: easy to see on the internet
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank saints01
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

One of the best experiences I've had in the Philippines. I came here with colleagues two weeks ago to dive and liked it so much I came back two weeks later to get my PADi certification. Oying, my instructor was great, the food was good, the rooms comfortable, and the bar was nice. i got in 6 dives in 3 days, and I'm going back in a month to get my next certification.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo