“Escape to Nirvana”

Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Manila, Philippines
“Escape to Nirvana”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend enjoy going to the beach, among other out of town trips. Every time we plan a vacation outing for just the two of us, we always carefully research, ask, and look at a lot of options. We're very thorough when it comes to looking up destinations, accommodations and logistics.

After we have a shortlist of what beach we want to go and stay. For some reason, we always end up with our best and relaxed choice: Puerto Nirvana.

I've stayed in alot of beach resorts in the Philippines. Pagudpud, Batangas, Zambales, La Union, Baler, Boracay and Mindoro to name a few. Believe it when i say that Puerto Nirvana is THE place to go to when you just want to escape from everything and just have a relaxing and convenient beside the beach experience. The staff is very welcoming, the rooms are spacious with a beach-home atmosphere, their food (specially the garlic chicken) is something you'd order more than twice a day, their infinity pool that overlooks the ocean is just fantastic. Their prices are also unbelievably affordable.

Puerto Nirvana's location also offers more convenient routes to the attractions to experience in Puerto Galera, such as the other secluded and peaceful beaches,waterfalls and tourist-friendly locations. If you wanted to go to the main beach however, a 15min trike ride, or Puerto Nirvana's shuttles are also available. Not having a crowded beachfront, no noisy bars and karaokes and no feeling of commercialized paradise is something challenging to find in the Philippines nowadays. At first we were skeptic since the location of Puerto Nirvana was a bit far from Puerto Galera's main beach, but pparentlyn it was actually the best thing about it. We're actually planning our 3rd stay this summer, and we're looking forward to it like its our first time going there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarloTolentino
Gab R, Manager at Puerto Nirvana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear CarloTolentino,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Puerto Nirvana. We hope to see you again when you come back to Puerto Galera.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 9 March 2014

(Short version: a resort with a friendly staff that tries its best but will never meet your expectations even if you lower your standards. There are better choices at Puerto Gallera. Stay only if you have no other choice.)

Puerto Nirvana isn't a budget hotel by any stretch. Their prices are consistent with the other hotels in the area so there are no excuses for the negative review you're about to read.

Also worth noting is the fact that the resort is photogenic. It looks amazing on photos but as you'll discover the moment you check in: it couldn't be farther from the truth.

-Selection-
My wife and I stayed with Puerto Nirvana for 3 days and 2 nights specifically for the Malasimbo Festival. As an official partner of the festival organizers, we were confident that they would be a great resort.

We couldn't have been more wrong.

-Service-
Friendly staff. This is the only good thing about this resort. They do try to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Unfortunately, this isn't enough to make the place worth the money.

You want your room made? You can't just hang a sign, you have to go to the front desk and ask.

You want your eggs over-easy? You better make sure you can translate it into tagalog and reiterate how you want it. Forget about trying to send it back to the kitchen either if they get your orders wrong.

The list goes on. Ideally, you should be able to forget about these small things when you check into a hotel or resort. Not with Puerto Nirvana.

-Food-
The hotel's restaurant is called "Bistro by the Bay". It's consistent with their "it looks good on the photo, barely recognizable in reality." Excellent looking menu items, but the servings are small considering the prices and the taste is average.

-Room-
We booked an "executive room" with a queen-sized bed. We were given room "bulalacao" also known as room 101.

As you walk in, you're going to find yourself in a room that has the heavy atmosphere of someone's attic--as if the rooms have been left unoccupied for a while. Probably true in our case as evidenced by the thick amounts of dust on every surface in the room.

The room was in general disrepair with the paint starting to peel and the ceiling has already started to cake and shower you with the occasional dust. If that's not enough, who can forget the termite-eaten ceiling above what they would like to pass off as a cabinet?

You won't find any solace in your bathroom either as it's cramped, moldy and incredibly unkept. The ceiling has spots of black mold and the shower mat has lichen and hard water stains growing in-between. Doubly irritating for women will be the lack of a bidet.

Icing on the cake? You're lucky if you can get lukewarm water out of the heater and thats IF there's enough water pressure to actually take a shower. Most times, you're more likely to use a bucket and a pail. Not exactly what you're paying a resort for, is it?

There's also the privacy issue. The rooms have paper-thin walls. Taking your special someone for a romantic getaway here? Make sure you're comfortable broadcasting what's happening in your room to your neighbors and to anyone else who happen to be passing by. This goes both ways, by the way. Imagine if you're unlucky enough to get a rowdy group of teenagers stating next door.

Want to change rooms? Well, they'll let you but it wont do you much good as every room looks and feels similar.

-Facilities-
So by now you're probably thinking, "maybe the facilities will make up for the other things?"

Man, are you in for a disappointment!

Consistent with their "looks good on a photo, horrible in reality" theme, the facilities of Puerto Nirvana are probably the biggest disappointment of staying there.

When booking a beach resort, the first thing you're probably looking for would be access to a good beach. Sadly, Puerto Nirvana doesn't have that. What you don't see in those beautiful photos is that the beach they have access to is very rocky and is composed mostly of pebbles rather than sand. Think more of a quarry rather than a beach and you get an idea of what you'll be paying for.

Looking for azure blue waters? Try another one of the multitude of beaches in the island instead.

They have a good-looking swimming pool you say? Again, photos versus reality. We stayed 3 days and I never once saw anyone skim that pool for random debris and dirt. I wonder when that pool was last cleaned?

Game room? 2 pool tables does not a "game room" make.

Children's playground? Having a Little Tikes plastic slide does not count as having a "family friendly playground" no matter how they sell it.

-Location-
Their location is both positive and negative.

On the positive side, the resort is somewhat isolated. That means that if you're lucky enough to have quite neighbors on the other rooms, you'll actually be serenaded by the waves as you sleep.

On the other hand, it also means you'll be spending buckets and buckets of cash for transportation if you want to go anywhere else aside from the resort. This normally wouldn't be a problem if the resort facilities were good enough. If you had a good beach, a great restaurant, and excellent facilities, why leave, right?

Well, you don't have any of those so you'll end up looking for the better beaches which will cost you about PHP 500.00 upwards depending on what beach you visit.

-Overall-
Bottom line: don't stay here. For the price you're likely to pay, you should be able to find better accommodations particularly in Puerto Gallera.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you do find yourself here for some ungodly reason, course all of your reques...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Dustin A
Gab R, Manager at Puerto Nirvana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Dustin,

We apologize for any inconsistencies you think we may have. We will work on the points that you have raised. The resort has already been around for 10 years and we are currently undergoing renovation and restructuring to improve our facilities and services so the staff are undergoing re-training and are still adjusting to new recipes and policies, but I am making no excuses. The criticism you have given us will be brought up in our meeting and will be a key for our improvement.
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 7 March 2014

It would be my first at my wife’s country town. We scout for a nearby place around Laguna and we landed into Nirvana Hotel. My wife and I both agreed to stay there since the feedbacks that we read where nice, so we booked through an online agency and received the confirmation at once.
When we arrived at the port, we hired a tricycle who charge us 200 going to Nirvana Hotel.The port is near the hotel,why they charged us with that amount, shoulders shrugged!..
When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by their cordial and cheerful staff(forgot to ask her name, I guess she’s their Head),we were escorted on our room. We were amazed by the room, add to that she advise that we were complimentary upgraded.BUT,when we arrived, there’s no electricity, the staff pardoned that’s one of the main problem of Puerto galera. Glad they have generator.
We were so hungry and decided to try the foods. We were advise by their waitress, Jinky (how will I forgot the name , she’s always making a hot calamansi juice for my wife.)that they have service charge if we will eat at their cabana,we chose to eat at the restau instead.
We also had time to talk with the owner which told us many things about Puerto galera. We learned from him that water and electricity is Galera’s utmost problem.W e also mentioned him the overpricing of the tricycle drivers.
We try the tours that they offer, my wife really enjoyed their Tokoran.Thanks to the guy who assisted us,glad he refuse to take the beer that I’m offering him telling that he’s driving and might be dangerous.
We rent their shuttle going to White beach,but then go back after an hour since the place was too busy and crowded,doesn’t fit us.
I may recommend this hotel to my colleagues,however, I have some recommendations:
Pros and Cons;

Pros:
1.STAFF- all through our stay,we were assisted by their Head, I guess, (my wife and I are still trying to recall her name,but really can’t)however,we can described her with her beautiful chinita eyes..Jinky whom always my wife’s chitchat mate was kind and very hands on. To Manong, who accompanied us going to the ATM Stand.
2.LOCATION-accessible since it’s near the clinic,my wife was been bitten by a bumblebee, the driver assisted us going there.
3.FOOD-Deliciouso!!!
Cons:
1.STAFF- There’s this one staff,my wife got annoyed by their tibo staff. The way she talks with other guest were rude. And worst,during our entire stay,we often seen her drinking on her counter. I guess the management weren’t aware with this. I overheard on what she said to the other guest that she’s the head of the bar,but when I ask Jinky if who is she, Jinky told us that she’s only the bar cashier and the head is the son of the owner. There’s also a time when she approach us what was our additional order since she’ll close the bar in a moment.
2. ROOM-the interior of the room ,we could say is well designed ,however, the problem is that it STINKS and leaked. We approach their personnel and told us that the leaked was caused by the high water pressure,granted, how about the stinky odor?Please explain.
3. FRONTBEACH- we were not expecting that the place was not really a white beach,wherein we can lie down while tanning, no sand for tanning,no long beac h for walking.
4.FOOD-yes foods were delicious,BUT, very pricey, lack of food choices,no appetizers and aperitif.
5.NO 7/11, JOLLIBEE…..-no fastfood especially at night.

Anyways, to be brief, I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank knight0ut
Gab R, Manager at Puerto Nirvana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hello!

Thank you for finding the time to review our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate both the pros and cons that you have raised. I acknowledge and will address the issues that we can that you have raised for our improvement.
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I'm a travelling person and i have been to different resorts all over the Philippines. There is no place like Puerto Nirvana. I love the still land and seascape fronting the resort. I love the rooms especially the rooms with windows facing the sea. It has the best view to see the Oriental Mindoro sunrise. The crew here are very helpful and friendly… You will be greeted and welcomed with the warm hospitality of Emz, Jing, Bryan, April, Jaycon and others. Food is awesomely great which would not make your pockets cry. If you want a tranquil place to stay, Puerto Nirvana is a place to be.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JayrRomarate
Dear JayR,

Thank you for giving time to review our resort. We appreciate all your good feedback and in behalf of the staff we extend our thanks and we hope to see you when you come back to Puerto Galera.
Cainta, Philippines
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Had a great, relaxing trip! Will surely be back :)

It's my first time in Puerto Galera with my partner. We've seen courteous staff. Free pickup and send via their shuttle from the port to the hotel and vice versa. It's included in the voucher I availed via ensogo. Best food and the price is very good. We are definitely going back there on our next vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kath_M21
Hello, Kath! Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad that you pleased with our hospitality and enjoyed the food we serve. We hope to see you soon and we'll be glad to render the same service and even better.
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The best staff I ever seen.The owner is great.Best food in town Salute to there cook.and the price is very good even there tours are good. We are definitely going back there on our next vacation. Keep it up folks.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are facing the water which is good.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank June A
Gab R, F&B Director at Puerto Nirvana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
June, thank you for your appreciation of our resort. We will keep up the good points you have made. We hope to see you again. :)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 6 January 2014

To be fair, let me enumerate first the positive things I've seen in this hotel. And these are only two: courteous staff and free pickup and send via their shuttle from the port to the hotel and vice versa. It's included in the voucher I availed via ensogo. But the total verdict is regret.
To enumerate the things we didnt like in staying at this hotel: 1) The entire hotel looks outdated, poorly decorated and maybe cheap to my taste. It wasn't the scene we were expecting. 2) Room was relatively small, as if you're renting a bed space. Although it was newly painted, it still cheaply decorated. Somehow, the three of us with my 9yr old kid fit in to their bed. The room looked like a motel room I must say, including the comfort room. And the heater! It was terrible. It was constantly TOO HOT, that there's nothing you can do to adjust the heat. So from time to time, we had to turn it off and just fetch water to the pail and mix it with the running water from the faucet to balance the temperature. So hassle! 3) Complimentary breakfast - I was shocked! Though I expect that it's good for only two, I was exasperated to receive a TOAST, BUTTER, JAM and BITTER BREWED COFFEE. When I exclaimed about it, the staff freed up another plate for my daughter. We were thankful, but again, WE WERE UNSATISFIED! It wasn't the breakfast we were expecting, at least a usual plate of tapa, sausage or cornedbeef with rice and egg would do. That's the usual, anyway! I tried to order a nice, decent meal, but when I checked the menu, the price and what's included, we decided to just consume what they offered and just eat lunch at Batangas. The price is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and yet the ingredients are agitating. For example, the CLUBHOUSE Sandwich costs 190, but it states that its the classic sandwich which composed of ham, lettuce and mayonaise! Where's the chicken and egg that's supposed to be included? Same story goes to other meals, where you were expecting the complete ingredients, at least for the price! By the way, when we arrived on the first day, it was almost 6pm, upon seeing the menu and the looks of their bar, we decided to walk around the hotel and we were lucky to find this Italian small eatery, where we at least had a decent dinner of pizza, pasta and pork ribs rice meal. It wasn't cheap though! The rest of the place, A HUGE PLACE OF MOTOR STORES and you can barely see a resto except for that Italian eatery. We got disappointed again! 4) Sea water and pool water. My daughter is extremely a water person. She loves to swim wherever we go! She wanted to swim at the seaside but the water is TOO DARK, that totally you'll be under the impression that it is DIRTY and UNSAFE! To attest, we didn't see any guest swimming at all! 5) The pool was THE SINGLE POOL ALONE that exists in their establishment. We had to wait for other families to finish and leave, before my daughter and her dad can swim! Of course we cannot afford to swim in a such a confided space that even a 4foot person can swim around. It was totally good for two-three persons, duh! Luckily, they left after we ate our bfast at around 11am, and so my daughter had a chance to swim and play around with her dad for just an hour. Because we were so eager to leave the hotel, and eat out and be back to reality! My fiance kept saying I made a mistake in booking to that hotel, and there's no reason at all to spend a vacation in that hotel. So I felt compelled to write this review, so people would have an idea, that you have a better place to stay in Puerto Galera. The first trip I made to Puerto Galera was year 2007, and it was totally great at Coco Beach. To sum up, its NOT VALUE FOR MONEY. Ensogo sold vouchers for this hotel at exactly PHP 1,500 which was ORIGINALLY PRICED AT PHP 3,500. We conclude this is FALSE MARKETING, as you really didn't get the value of PHP 3,500.00, but only the PHP 1,500 paid for the quality of room and complimentary breakfast that they serve! Who could tell that a piece of toast, egg, jam and cup of coffee and a small, cheap room COMPENSATES A STAY WORTH PH 3,500? Next time, I will be smarter in picking escapes that says YOU SAVE BLAH BLAH...but you actually GET THE VALUE FOR EXACTLY THE AMOUNT YOU JUST PAID FOR!!! I hope this review makes sense and you realize what I'm trying to point out here. Thanks for the experience anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank 44Satine77
Gab R, Manager at Puerto Nirvana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Good day 44Satine77! Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you are pleased with our staff's services. We regret to learn of your disappointment, we will work on the things we can work that we are able to improve on. While we appreciate criticism for our improvement, I would like to clarify an issue that you have raised regarding the Ensogo voucher you have purchased. Prior to reservation and during inquiries, our booking officers made it a point to inform our guests that the room referred to in the deal is a Standard Room. Our website shows the price of our rooms and I would like to sincerely apologize in if there was any false marketing that may have happened when the deal was offered by our third-party client. We have raised this issue with them and hope that it does not happen in the future.