“Just an update”

Sabang Oasis Resort
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I stay here all the time when I'm in Sabang, and I just got back to Manila after spending a weekend there.

Room:
As always, the room was clean. Ref, TV, hot water all worked, they've added a couch though but knowing I was in Sabang I didn't want to use it without a blanket over the upholstery.
The room cleaning was better this time around, as the housekeeper offered to change my towels and did a good job of cleaning and making up the room.
Check in was standard Sabang Oasis, where you have to go up to the third floor, turn left at the landing and then go up the steps to where the owner lives and then check in. Room assignments are better organised as check ins were listed by date and name on a white board.

How to get there: Just ask one of the boat crew to take you there and give them a tip, it's only a 5 minute walk from the pier anyway, and it will save you the headache and frustration. They're pretty friendly and if you're a female traveller like myself, they're happy to help.

Food: go for the local food, the western food I've had in Sabang doesn't really taste right for me. I normally go to the restaurant owned by a really nice Filipino woman that's just up the little side street right after the entrance to Hammerhead. For breakfast, I order my latte and croissant from The Rocks Cafe which is just in front of the side street going to the restaurant I just mentioned, their croissants are really good and buttery with just the right crispness.
At the restaurant (which I keep forgetting the name of) I usually order the Lomi after a long day of diving, the fat noodles in the super hot thick soup hits home and chases the cold away. It's cheap and filling too at 55 pesos for a big bowl. If I want something spicy with rice, I go for their curry. You can have it either as hot or as mild as you want it :)

THE UPDATE: Right now, there's construction going on behind the building, so be aware that there will be construction noises (power saws, hammering, masonry work) starting from around 7pm until the sun sets. Since the buildings are pretty close together, you WILL hear the noise despite having the aircon on and windows closed. Also, the women living in front of the hotel tend to get really chatty at night, so you'll also hear them. If you're the type who can sleep through anything then it will be fine, but if you're like me, you'll probably end up grumpy in the morning.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
SabangOasis, Owner at Sabang Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

WE must apologise for the current construction noise on site. Our neighbour has assured us that the alterations will be completed this week...weather permitting.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed at the Sabang Oasis Resort with a friend for a couple of nights. We asked for a room w/ 2 beds, but they didn't have any, but they were able to provide an extra mattress to place on the floor for 200P/night. While I have no major complaints about the place, it didn't really stand out as an enjoyable place to stay. It was simply a clean and inexpensive place to sleep. Here are the good things about the place:
* The bed that came with the room had a real mattress, not the foam mattress that is common at lower-end Philippine hotels.
* The room had air conditioning.
* The hotel was located far enough away from the night clubs that we could sleep soundly.
* The hotel complex itself was reasonably well taken care off and looked nice overall.

These were the drawbacks:
* The swimming pool on the roof was not functioning- there was no water in it.
* The shower room was a bit dingy and there was no shower curtain so the entire bathroom floor got wet.
* No shampoo was provided- had to go out and buy my own.
* The mini-fridge door wouldn't shut tightly and hung open, so the drinks were not too cold.
* The hotel was difficult to find and we had to ask to be shown where it is. You have to walk through a few narrow alleyways to get it. It was not problem for me, but I wouldn't think that a single woman would want to walk to the hotel in the dark at night.

So in sum, the place was pretty plain but it was adequate. The price was very low so I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I have been stying here for years. The owners are friendly and very helpful. The rooms clean & quiet. The pool relaxing. Just the place for a break

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stay 5 mos. ea. yr. for 4 yrs. now at Sabang Oasis, & clearly, we keep coming back becoz this hotel & suite where we stay is the best there is in Sabang. Check it out yourself.

Room Tip: Just ask for Rooms 6 & 7!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curayreini
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Recently stayed here for two weeks after the New Year and felt we had made the right choice booking at the Oasis. English owner Peter and his wife Viola run an extremely clean hotel with very friendly and helpful staff.

The hotel is perfectly located just off the main ‘strip’ of bars, so that you’re only less than a minute walk away from an ice cold San Miguel in the Broadway Bar yet far enough away from the load music to get a good night’s sleep.

Bed sheets and rooms were changed and cleaned thoroughly every day. As for the rooms themselves they offer exactly what you need, the rooms are extremely spacious, they offer a quality double bed, mini-bar, TV, air-con and good powerful shower (something we found hard to find in previous accommodation in Manila).

We had friends who had been hotel hopping around Sabang and generally stayed in accommodation further down the beach but agreed that the rooms in the Oasis were of far better quality and size than most of the places they had stayed in around the resort.

On the roof of the hotel it boasts a terrace, bar and swimming pool which proved invaluable for cooling off after having a few beers in the sun. We also enjoyed a couple of barbeques on the terrace in the evenings, in which we invited a few friends up for. Viola and her family were more than happy to cater, providing enough wonderfully cooked prawns and steaks to feed a small army.

Overall, the Sabang Oasis offers exactly what you need from a hotel in terms of location and room quality but goes the extra mile in terms of likeable staff and good service. We had a wonderful two weeks here and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone going to Sabang for vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hdwilliams
Reviewed 18 December 2010

This is a new place up the hill from the centre of town, so its reasonably quiet. Get a room with a kitchen as eating out is crap in the Philippines, there is plenty of fresh fish and chicken here is great, free range and very tasty, also pork is good too. If you can cook you will eat well. No shortage of fresh fruit and veg in the markets. The room we stayed in were clean and barely furnished but the bed was comfortable. Don't expect yr room to be cleaned, just ask if you want it done, or better still just ask for the broom and do it yrself. Staff are friendly but keep to themselves, don't expect them to be your new best friends. If you stay for a month like we did the room works out to be very cheap, very good value. Theres a roof top terrace with a gas bbq they provide gas for and a bar they will open if you ask. Most guests dont use it so if you want a private party this is the place. Great view from the top. I liked it here.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank divetraveller999
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The place couldnt have been better for us just a stones through from Sabang centre with all the hustle and bustle in lovely quiet spot Perfect!!! We were a family of 5
1 granparent 2 parents and 2 kids and this place was great for all of us.
We had the 2 bedroom and kitchen with extra mattress, the appartment is large so plenty of room to move around, The roof has a pool which the kids loved and the views and breezes up there were lovely.
A family run business Peter and Viola couldnt have helped us more with orginizing all our trips and advise on best eating spots.
We will return for sure :)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family