“First time diver” 4 of 5 bubbles

Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera
Ranked #2 of 52 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
“First time diver”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Wow and wow again ! Now I came here in march 2013 and yes I know it's a very very late review but in my defence I didn't know about Trip Adviser ! Also it wouldn't let me go bk as far as march last year so had to put June
Anyway , I learnt to dive at Atlantis and got a fantastic teacher one on one tuition (can't remember his name ) couldn't wait to get into the sea ! It was awesome ! The room for me and my partner was awesome , was only up a few steps , loved the local dog Pino (although I here he's moved to America now ) he would come up to our room in the morning for a cuddle :) the food was amazing although we didn't have all inclusive just breakfast so we often ate out Captain Jacks is a great little place to eat , loved Sabang town so diverse and very friendly , didn't like the beach sellers so much , you have to be firm with them , the dive guides were brilliant at finding and pointing out fish and other sea life and looked after you :) loved the 50bar especially the popcorn hehe , all the staff were very accommodating , one small thing I didn't like so much was the "girlfriends / wife's "that some of the male guests had paid for in sabang town for there stay ! I know it goes on but I don't think they should be allowed to be able to go bk and stay in the rooms , not sure Atlantis are aware of this but my bf at the time and the couple who we came with said it happens a lot :) it sort if lowered the tone a bit
I would defiantly come bk to Atlantis !

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We love your “better late than never” approach to your review ☺ and we appreciate your excellent rating. Your awesome experience in learning to dive with us is exactly what we want to hear back from our students (and guests) and we’re looking forward to your return visit…as a friend.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed and dived with Atlantis Puerto Galera for 6D5N and we loved every moment. It's certainly the most luxuriest and best option on Sabang Beach by far. The pricing might not be cheap but its all inclusive and takes care of everything.

The spa was really good as well to which our only regret was not doing more sessions!

We took the Honeymoon Suite which was their best room and though we loved the view and the privacy of this suite, nevertheless the climb up three flight of stairs each time to get to our room was truly painful especially after dives.

The food was good though at times a bit bland though the vast majority of foreigners would enjoy it. The food doesnt cater at all to Asian tastes though hence after a while there, it can get quite boring.

All in all, a great dive resort to which we would highly recommend to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We are so pleased that you loved every moment with us, as that is what we aim to achieve – and congratulations on your nuptials ☺

Your high recommendation of our resort is very much appreciated. Our all-inclusive package is designed as the perfect way to enjoy our resort, dining and diving so our guests can indeed know we will take care of everything.

While we do have a decidedly “western” flair to our ever changing Blackboard Menu at Toko’s Restaurant, we do frequently offer our Mongolian Wok buffet where you can choose from a selection of freshly cut meats, seafood and vegetables that we then stir fried to order.

Thanks for your excellent review and we hope when you return you can take more time at our spa, especially since our staff is getting upgrade training beginning this week.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Our stay at Atlantis PG was great. Great rooms, good food, great diving.
We were well taken care of right after we landed. Staff are friendly and helpful. Things are pretty organised and we are well-informed of everything we need to know.
The resort is a quiet and relaxing place just steps away from the noisy nightlife of the streets.
The rooms are clean. A shower curtain may be good, though, to avoid a wet floor around the washbasin.
The food at the restaurant is good, but the there are not enough choices on the breakfast menu, not even bread. Nonetheless, as vegetarians we are fortunate coz the staff kindly catered for our dietary needs without extra charges.
The dive center is spacious, clean and well-equipped. Dives are well-organised. Thanks to Chris we were offered a good price on our gear rental and extra dives, including a day trip to Verde Island which has a magnificent reef and a real "washing machine". It would be the main reason for my next diving trip to PG. (Canyon is also wonderful.) Thanks to the other Chris, our DM, we had much fun during our dives, esp. the mandarin dive seeing the cute little fish mate.
I enjoyed sunbathing at the swimming pool, but the massage at the Spa was not as good as the one I had on the street (Essence), which was also more reasonably priced.
Overall, I had an enjoyable stay and I will come back for its professional service and friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: I prefer the upper floors as they are quieter and have better views, but then you've got to clim...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
You’ll be happy to know that in just a few days our entire spa staff will begin a full month of retraining on all massages, including Hilot, the ancient Filipino healing massage. This training is being done by an outside professional company and will be based on US standards, so on you’re next visit you can look forward to a professional and very relaxing massage with us. The diving at Verde Island is quite magnificent as you pointed out, and a nice addition to our local dive offerings including Canyons, which you experienced, and more than 30 prime dive sites that are mere minutes away from the resort. Special dietary requests such as vegetarian offerings are easily handled by our chefs, and while we do not serve sweet breads like cinnamon rolls and croissants for breakfast, we do offer toast and French bread with the morning entree. Thank you for your great review, and as you..."leave as a friend" we look forward to your return.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at Puerto Galera Resort for 10 days.
I arrived in Manila around 22:30 and the car was waiting for me. The trip by car and then by boat went smoothly and once I arrived staff from the resort helped with the baggage. After a nice sleep I waked up for the morning breakfast that was very nice. If you are vegetarian like me just inform the staff and they will make sure to prepare the adequate food. After breakfast we begin diving. The diving went very smoothly due to a very professional and well trained staff. They really show us underwater many macro species and other nice thinks. It was very good that they showed us all that macro species that I am sure that without their guidance we may missed it. All in all beginning from the very low working level up to the management of the resort my impression was of a very good, friendly and professional staff. I will definitely return to Puerto Galera next year!

Room Tip: If you have problems climbing staires choose a low level room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review. It is indeed very nice and reassuring to have our private transfer waiting (at any time) to take care of everything and get you safely and comfortably to the resort. I too am absolutely amazed how our dive guides find some of these critters! The best part is hearing that you are already planning a return visit with us ☺.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Atlantis Dive Resort in Puerto Galera from 11-19 April, 2014, along with another couple. This review will provide a balanced account of our experience.

Transfers:

The package we got was all inclusive of mini-van transfers from Manila (about 2 hours drive) and a 1 hr 20 min boat ride in a private ferry from Batangas to Puerto Galera (PG). Manila airport seemed much more civilised than it was 2 years ago, and while traffic going out of Manila can be crazy, things ran pretty smoothly. We stopped at the Starbucks complex half way to Batangas, and even though we got to the resort at around 9pm, we were greeted with a welcome drink of native lime juice and a hot meal upon arrival. Although arriving too late to receive our free 'welcome massage', we enjoyed this complimentary neck and shoulder massage at the table in the restaurant later in the vacation.

Accommodation:

From the waterfront, the resorts at Puerto Galera look just like a long row of tightly packed restaurants or bars, However, after entering through the 50Bar and restaurant area, the resort reveals itself as a long strip of land which houses all of its facilities and accommodation. While not luxurious by any standard, the deluxe rooms were fairly basic and functional, with the bed oddly positioned with one side into the wall - anyone sleeping on that side needs to climb over the top of their partner to exit the bed. Walls are thick and noise from the neighbouring rooms is unlikely to be heard. Rooms on the second floor (ours was Room 21) have a balcony which is useful for hanging wet dive gear to air and dry overnight (unfortunately the dive shop where gear is stored between dives is a covered room, so wetsuits don't get any sun or air to dry overnight unless they are hanging from your balcony). The room has a minibar (water isn't on the price list, but you will be charged for it), a safe, open storage shelves, an open shower, bathroom vanity and a toilet. Be warned that the toilets do not flush. Also, there are no phones in the rooms, but there is a decent sized tv. Only upgrades rooms contain hairdryers (ours didn't). While we found our mattress quite hard on the first night, we mentioned this to reception and they were only too happy to swap it over for us for a softer mattress. Also, the rooms can be quite chilly if you sleep with the fan or airconditioner on, so be sure to ask reception for a light blanket if you are inclined to feel the cold. That said, the resort seemed much cleaner and classier than many of the others we saw nearby. The much acclaimed 'Flintstones' style actually felt more Spanish or Mexican and was less kitsch and more attractive than I had anticipated.

The resort has a decent sized pool with a small waterfall feature running into it, and my husband enjoyed a massage at the spa. Although the resort is right in the middle of the waterfront resort strip, nightlife noise was not a problem from our 2nd storey room. We tended not to venture outside the resort at night. Some rooms had a lot more stairs to navigate, so be sure to request a room that best suits your physical needs and energy levels (one guest told me she picked a room on a higher level so she could eat as much as she wanted, then burn off the calories every time she climbed to her room!) The reception desk operates a currency exchange service, but probably not at rates as good as the Western Union exchange about 5 mins walk from the resort.

Food:

The large restaurant is covered with a high thatched roof but has a comfortable, tropical open feel. All meals are basically 3 courses and vary in standard from quite good to outstanding. (You will need to change out of your dive gear at mealtimes.) Vegetarians are well catered for, however be warned that the 'vegetarian' soup option most times contains chicken stock, so ask first if this is important to you. As a cancer patient, I had some very specific dietary requirements which the resort went above and beyond what most would do to accommodate, for which I was extremely appreciative (thanks to Gina for even coming in on her day off to make my morning concoctions, and to the kitchen staff for providing me with delicious organic salads!)

Breakfast (preceded by a small fruit plate) is ordered from a comprehensive menu, and both lunch and dinner offer a choice of two entrees, plus a choice of either chicken, fish, beef or vegetarian meals. Alternatively, you can put together your own Mongolian hotpot dish, served with noodles or rice. Occasionally meal combinations could have been a little better considered (eg a salad entree followed by a crumbed feta salad mains for lunch seemed a little odd, pancakes were quite thick, waffles were very doughy, breakfast mushrooms were salty, vegetarians are served lots of pasta and some dishes were literally drowning in cheese). That said, most of the meals were really quite good and most were fairly generously portioned. The kitchen works very efficiently, so there's very little wait time between ordering from the menu and food arriving at the table and virtually no downtime between entree, mains and dessert.

Diving:

Atlantis is most certainly a dive resort. Everyone in our group managed 3-5 dives per day. The beauty of diving at Puerto Galera is that most dive sites are between 30 seconds and 5-10 mins boat ride from the resort which offers a good standard of valet diving and Nitrox fills for those who are qualified. I recommend that you take a mesh bag or dry bag to keep your mask, fins, etc together, as boatmen mainly take responsibility for regs, tanks and bcds. Make sure you check that your weights are in your bcd before backrolling off any boat, as on two occasions my dive buddies entered the water without checking, only to find their weights had not been fastened into their vests.

I also advise you to download a detailed list of the dive sites from Google in the area to plan out the dives that interest you most in advance. The Verde Island day trip is worthwhile for advanced divers as currents can be strong. Canyons is another great site subject to strong currents. Muck diving at Giant Clams may disappoint if you are used to the critter rich sandy bottoms of Coconut at Anilao, and while Alma Jane isn't a bad wreck, it is quite basic and doesn't have too much to offer experienced wreck divers. Sinandigan Wall will delight nudibranch hunters, but if you go in knowing which sites offer whatever floats your boat, you should be able to tailor your dives to suit your preferences. Complimentary post-dive tea, muffins or mini cakes are a lovely touch when they are served.

Do not underestimate the diversity of sites right under your nose in Sabang Bay - from the Manadarin Fish dive to Sabang Wrecks to Fantasy Reef and more, there is good diving to be had just a few short minutes from the resort. Shorter boat rides means less travelling and more diving, plus surface intervals at the resort. This was the beauty of our package - up to 5 dives a day (9am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm and a night dive at around 6pm). This resort does not run on 'island time', so be sure to be punctual for dive briefings. Although I personally preferred diving at Anilao, diving at Puerto Galero is convenient for variety and short boat rides. Lots of fish and lots of macro subjects are available, with plenty of healthy coral reef, and if you're lucky, you may spot the odd turtle, grouper or triggerfish. Moray eels, shrimps and nudibranchs abound, with opportunities to also spot pygmy seahorses, electric scallops and (my favourite!) flamboyant cuttlefish.

The resort caters well for underwater photographers, with camera-only wash basins and a basic camera room which remains unlocked at all times; this room includes 2 free internet connected computers so that you can immediately load photos up to the internet, use email, etc. There is a small dive shop selling dive jewellery and gear accessories, and a larger storage room with small shelves and hanging rails for each diver to store their gear. Outside this room are wash tanks for wetsuits, boots, etc and two open air hot showers. Dive briefings are held just opposite the tank filling station. Purchases from the dive shop are charged to your room (check your dockets carefully and mistakes can occur).

There is a professional freelance videographer called Rob who works with Atlantis. He can come on your dives and take professional video which you can view immediately after the dive and can take home on dvd at a very reasonable price. We had him video 4 dives for us and as photographers ourselves, we were completely impressed by the souvenir dvds he produced for us. We recommend his services very highly.

Resort Staff:

Resort staff are truly a highlight of staying at Atlantis Puerto Galera. The staff at reception, while not especially warm, are courteous, and you can leave your room key with them when you go out for a dive. The maitre de of the restaurant will readily adopt most male patrons as his 'brother from another mother', and the chef and kitchen staff will be especially attentive to anyone with special dietary needs. The Dive Masters and boatmen are very personable and will help patrons to celebrate dive course completions or milestone dives with their hilarious 'snorkelchugg' ceremony at the 50Bar. I was thrilled that after giving advanced notice before we arrived, resort staff helped my dive buddy to celebrate his 200th dive by presenting him with an embroidered commemorative polo shirt. We found the resort manager John to be very social and helpful and we enjoyed the opportunity to share a couple of dives with him on the last day.

Tour:

On our final day before flying home, we went on the 4 hour cultural tour by jeepney. This included a visit to the waterfalls, Ponderosa lookout (no diving permitted 16 hours prior), White Beach market and small village with handmade cane crafts which we enjoyed.

Cautions:

Firstly, if you plan to dive Puerto Galera because somewhere on Google you've seen references to whale sharks, manta rays and hammerheads, please be warned that there are none of these to see whatsoever, and not even any white tipped reef sharks (or any other sharks as far as we could tell), meaning that the 'Shark Cave' site probably should be renamed sometime soon. Also, make sure you check for any dive travel deals prior to booking directly with the resort (less than a week after we booked and paid, we found a deal online with a reputable dive travel agent to pay full price for one person, then get the second person half price, which would have saved us about $1,000 per couple.) Also, make sure you ask the price of anything on offer by the streetsellers before you agree to purchase - my friend agreed to have two personalised string headband woven and was informed AFTER they were made that the cost was over US$145! (world's most expensive souvenir - thankfully management at the resort helped to negotiate a reduced rate prior to payment). Also, a nearby shop charges 100 pesos for sunglasses, which the wandering vendor charges 300. Make sure you know how pesos converts to your own currency exchange rate, and be willing to barter for anything you buy.

Conclusion:

Overall, we enjoyed the resort and the diving at Atlantis Puerto Galera. If this destination with around 40 dive sites within just minutes by boat appeals to you, we recommend this as a comfortable resort with friendly service and as much diving as you can handle.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify your preference for stairs - top levels are quite a climb!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PT H
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thanks for your wonderful and very informative review of our resort – I don’t think I could have described many of the workings and amenities much better ☺. I did take the opportunity to ‘check’ on a few things that you mentioned and give an update. Our maintenance crew has repaired the toilet in room 21 and it now flushes correctly. Hairdryers are standard in our suites as you mentioned, but they are available upon request (as are additional blankets) for all guests. I checked on the ‘vegetarian soup’ made with chicken stock with our resort manager and am assured that the recipe states vegetarian stock – so that unacceptable substitution will immediately be corrected. Kris, our dive shop manager has spoken with our dive masters and boatmen to re-check that weight pockets are reattached to BCDs after dives and Sebastiaan, our resort manager has addressed the mention of our reception staff not being ‘especially warm, though courteous’. They are our front line and many times a guest’s first impression! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to notice many of the details that make our resort a guest favorite – especially our staff who take the extra step of making things like your special morning concoctions, providing valet diving services, celebrating special occasions, and so much more.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is, in terms of hardware the best resort in Puerto Galera. It is a thoroughly professional operation and it shows almost everywhere. Yes , there are stairs to climb but that is simply a fact. Why I could not rate this resort as excellent is simply because of the very poor quality bathroom amenities, which, given the price consisted of two miniature bars of soap and a tiny bottle of combined shampoo conditioner . This is something you get in the other $30 a night dive resorts but I did not expect this at this place. Secondly, and somewhat more annoying is the solicitation for tips. Granted, this place seems to cater to the American market, where tipping is part of the culture, but be sent a letter the night before departure with an enveloped, having pre printed boxes on it ready for guests to complete is a bit much. Btw. I was never asked even once if I enjoyed my stay..... or if I had feedback at all.... Never once. There are other places in Puerto Galera to chose from, some just across from Atlantis. Much more economically priced... But also less focused on tips..... Which, when not asked, I always leave generously.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for recognizing the professionalism of our staff and our resort in your review, but you also brought up two points that prevented you from giving us an excellent score. We are just one of a multitude of dive resorts in the area and we pride and promote ourselves as being the premier dive resort in Puerto Galera. We strive to live up to our guests’ expectations as such and to provide first class service.

Also, as a dedicated dive resort (PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Resort), we try to lessen our imprint on the environment and hence we do initially provide only a small selection of toiletries, though guests are always welcome to ask for more. Guests are also given the option to not have sheets and towels laundered daily to conserve water, and to cut down on paper waste we now email our guests’ diver’s log at the end their stay instead of printing it as we had in the past. ☺

You are correct that many of our guests are Americans where tipping is a norm for service. Overall tipping has become more common in the Philippines and especially more so in tourist areas such as Puerto Galera. We publish in our Resort FAQs that “Gratuities are not included in your vacation and are not mandatory. If you feel the Atlantis Team helped make your trip enjoyable and you received a superior level of service may we suggest a gratuity of approximately 10% of your vacation price. Envelopes are provided at the resort where you may choose individual team members, departments or the whole staff with whom to share your tip”. Providing a letter and envelope to our guests at the conclusion of their stay is in response to open suggestions from previous guests who wanted to include in their gratuity the “behind the scenes” staff that they don’t see, but know greatly contribute to achieving our level of service.

We erred in not asking you about your stay and we have addressed this faux pas with our staff this week. Our standard is that management and staff asks our guests on a daily basis how everything is going, especially in the restaurant and during their welcome and farewell at the reception.

We understand that you have many choices on where to spend your vacation time and money and hope that you will give us another chance to show that we can offer you an excellent vacation.
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I was part of a group from the UK at this resort to learn more about underwater photography. The dive experience could not have been better and our guides Thax and Chris ensured we found the small critters we wanted to see and allowed us as much time as we wanted to take our photos. The resort is so well organised and the staff are fantastic. I had some camera problems and the help I received from Kris & John was all I could have wanted.
Finally, I cannot finish a review of the resort without mentioning the food. Have I mentioned the food? It is superb.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
So glad you mentioned the food, as we think it is pretty superb too! Our chef is constantly searching for new and delicious ways to prepare the meals at Toko’s restaurant using the freshest ingredients. We host quite a few photography groups each year (as well as many individual photographers) and our staff has very keen eyes to find even the tiniest critters, so you can focus on your photography skills instead of spending time searching for these spectacular, but elusive, subjects. Thank you for your fabulous review and we look forward to your return visit.