“Well-established dive centre/resort with great staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Galera
Big Apple Dive Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Well-established dive centre/resort with great staff”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Visited Big Apple on my first day of the trip to shop around for a dive centre for the week. Got hold of Troy, one of the instructors there who gave me all his time and devotion to make the best out of my trip. Took time to answer all questions and to make me feel comfortable. The Dive shop in the back has access to swimming pool and got a good setup. Everything is available for full curriculum diver training. I joined a group for one morning dive to the Sinandegan Wall just a 10min boat ride from the beach. Excellent trip and very well organised. I felt very safe with the dive master they matched me with and all went well. Recommended.

The resort part looks great too though I did not use it. They have a big restaurant with bar and lots of food. Also seems to favour sports games etc on TVs as well as music all night. I would think it would spill into the resort part slightly if the rooms is cose enough.

I chose another dive centre for my other dives simply because I preferred staying at another location which was quieter and more relaxing. The Big Apple is a great place to stay and dive with if you are into the bit more beers-at-night kind of thing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank henkisdabro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Center of Sabang beach, with pool for swimming or diving lessons. Good and popular restaurant with pool table. Open air with sea view. Rooms are behind the restaurant and close to the pool. Staff were very accomdating with me changing rooms; no dramas. Think this is australian owned place and has relaxed fun atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank BananaMangoChocolate
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed there three nights at the end of Feb. The hotel staff is amazing. Incredibly friendly and efficient. The rooms are basic but comfortable. When you book, try to get rooms away from the bar. Otherwise, be prepared to hear music and partying from the all night bar and restaurant.

Speaking of which the waitstaff in the restaurant and bar are a major bummer. I stayed away even though the food was pretty good and the drinks reasonable.

The dive shop was pretty good and the dives were priced reasonably.

Net net. If you are looking for good value in the middle of the action, this is it!

Room Tip: Get a room near the pool if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank scott w
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed one night at the Big Apple. We went to this hotel mainly because of its good references on Tripadvisor.

It surely is a nice hotel with a swimmingpool. For us, the problem was the older foreigner men with, often young, Philippino women staying there. The place was crowded with it. So if you are a couple or not feeling happy with this, just be warned. The Big Apple is renowned for this in Sabang.

• Stayed December 2011
8 Thank Iefie

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Galera hotels

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have stayed here twice in the past year. The first time I stayed in a deluxe room, and this month I stayed in Condo B for 13 nights.

The dive shop here is first rate. The staff is professional, friendly and accommodating. I took my Advanced OW class here and have logged about 50 dives with Big Apple. The resort is right on the beach so it's just a 5 minute walk from the shop to the boat. Most of the regs, BCDs and wetsuits are relatively new. Many of the dive sites are world class, and even if you don't stay at the Big Apple I would suggest using their dive shop to experience them.

As far as the rooms go, most are clustered around the pool. The "deluxe" room I stayed in during my first stay was rather spartan but adequate for me - I dived 2 or 3 times during the day and just needed a place to crash at night. If I was traveling with a partner I would definitely upgrade to a superior or condo.

I would never stay in a fan room. AC is a must have in the Philippines all year round. I made the mistake of getting a fan room once and I'll never do it again.

The pool is the best that I saw in Sabang, clean and well maintained. During the day it is sometimes used for dive classes but there's still enough room to swim. There are some nights when some guests hang in the pool until the wee hours of the morning even though it's supposed to be closed at 10 or 11PM.

The condo I recently stayed in was worth the money. Condo B was on the third floor of a building adjacent to the Big Apple and was private and relatively quiet. When I checked in the AC in the bedroom was weak but I complained and they changed the unit. The refrigerator and kitchen were clean. The unit was a bit worn but still suitable. The best feature was a large private balcony which had a view of Sabang bay. It was great to sit on the balcony in the morning and have a cup of coffee while watching the ships in the bay.

One thing that annoyed me was that the safe in the condo did not work. As a matter of fact, there aren't any safes in the regular rooms. To store your valuables there is a small locked room available with lockers across from the receptionist. You have to provide your own lock for the locker. I would much prefer to have a safe in my room.

I don't like the restaurant Some dishes on the menu, the pastas for instance, are okay but most aren't very good. I usually ate cup noodles in my room or went to other restaurants in the area. The bar is always open if you ever get thirsty.

Be advised that Sabang itself is rather seedy - a few discos and girlie bars. The place isn't really suitable for couples or families. There are quite a few single men who don't come for the diving but rather to hang out in the bars.

In short, if you're diving in Sabang and you want a reasonably priced hotel with a good dive shop then the Big Apple is a good choice. It's not luxurious but it doesn't pretend to be either.

Room Tip: Stay in Condo B or C if you can afford it
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank RadarKing
Hong Kong
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We have stayed here several times in the past. It's relatively cheap and convienient for short trips.
The downfall is the online booking system is terrible or the way it is interpreted by the front office has a major problem.
You book, pay deposit and hopefully the room you booked is available when you get there.
Emails stating that you want to dive on arrival are basically ignored with no guides available when you arrive as "The message didn't get passed on".
The rooms are run down but clean most of the time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Dove with Big Apple in May 2011. The staff is friendfly, proffecional and really know the divesite. The atmosphere is really relaxed and the choice of divesite is made together with the customers. Ex. someone want currents the try to select a divesite with currents. Someone want's to photograph macro, they a good macro site is selected ant the dive is slow to allow time to take pics.
Oh, the restaurant IS tourist priced but the food is GOOD and the service friendly and polite

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Sabang Oasis Resort
#26 of 52 in Puerto Galera
Manarra Sea View Resort
Atlantis Dive Resort Puerto Galera

Been to Big Apple Dive Resort? Share your experiences!