“Electrical Fire Waiting to Happen” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oriental Sabang Hill Resort

Oriental Sabang Hill Resort
Ranked #20 of 52 Puerto Galera B&B and Inns
Kenosha
“Electrical Fire Waiting to Happen”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We checked into this facility on July 8, 2013, primarily because other friends from Manila were meeting up there. Its an uphill walk up Sabang hill down a hidden path to get to the registration desk but the view and pool (although somewhat small) were worth it. Its about another 30 uphill steps to our room #7.

First night in #7 was quite pleasant other than dead television remote batteries that were immediately replaced by staff.

Second night was like being in a monster movie. The main room light began flickering and a loud crackling noise was coming from the fixture. This persisted for about 90 seconds and we then lost 95% of the light. I pressed another switch and was immediately zapped by a strong electrical shock. I told my girlfriend to start packing as we will be getting another room and went downstairs and advised staff of the problem. They immediately put us in the room next door, room #8. So far so good.

After spending a beautiful day on the water and at the pool, the girlfriend stayed at the bar with friends while I went upstairs to shower and relax a bit. Now, room #8 began experiencing the same electrical problem at the same main light location, again with flickering, loud crackling and then no light. I went downstairs and told the girlfriend my disbelief what was happening again and advised the reception desk accordingly. "No problem sir, we fixed room #7 and you can move back there." I in turn advised that indeed it WAS a problem as we were compelled to change rooms two times in two days due to the same electrical problem in both rooms. We were assured room #7 was again up and running, were promised a free night for the inconvenience and moved back to #7.

After another gorgeous day, the girlfriend again stayed by the bar with friends while I ran upstairs for a quick shower. I opened the door to #7, hit the light switch and no electricity. I hit every switch in the room and no electricity to the entire room. In the presence of friends I told the girlfriend we had no electricity whatsoever and asked her to deal with the problem so that I could avoid going ballistic on the staff. She was in disbelief about no electricity. I went ballistic on the staff in front of friends and other guests that were already aware of our electrical problems. Again, "no problem sir, we fix." I told them to fix my final bill as we would be relocating to another hotel.

Girlfriend didn't really want to relocate to another hotel but I had had enough of these electrical problems. Three strikes and they were out. Of course, upon being packed and ready to go, the electricity came on.

The final bill was 1,445 php in room charges for the final day without any mention by staff of the free night awarded to us as compensation for the nightmare the night prior. Room cost was 1,500 php. In the presence of friends, the manager told me that I owed the 55 php difference. I looked at my friend and said "I can't believe she just said that." She then realized the gravity of what she had just said and said that the hotel would waive the 55 php charge.

Apparently the owner of this place is Swedish and in Sweden at the moment with his wife. I was told by another Swede staying there that had the owner or his wife been on premises, the situation would have been handled differently with our safety and comfort being of primary importance. Staff didn't really care if the condition was there or not. These dangerous electrical conditions persist though. If they were dangerous enough for us to lose lights and electricity and for me to get shocked, then its only a matter of time until some type of an electrical fire starts at this place. There are NO smoke detectors in the rooms to give warning should a fire start in the walls or ceiling. This condition, if not remedied, is a tragedy waiting to happen.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Dasmarinas City, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I agree to wizofwall and colindmdl that you will be greeted at the port upon arrival if you will call the hotel prior to your arrival because we were greeted too. But the person who greeted us is not their staff. He is a tour guide offering boat ride, scuba diving etc etc. I bought my voucher from cashcashpinoy where the deal posted that the rate for family room is 48% discount. I paid 2,592.00 which should be the discounted rate of 48%. But only to find out that the rack rate for family room upon my arrival is only 2,600.00 inclusive of breakfast. Again, just like john a said, the breakfast is just a coffee and juice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank idg462

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Galera hotels

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

Very nice. Greeted at port (texting ahead), good food, quiet, nice view, A/C + fan good, nice pool, nice staff,....considering it is Philippines and the rate we paid, it was great compared with our stay in Sabang last year in a different place.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wizofwall
newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Re the previous comments from the disappointed reviewer (john a). You expected to be greeted at the port upon arrival like all the others? You might find that they, just as I do, call the hotel prior to arrival, either from the banka (boat) or from Batangas whilst waiting to board. Advice I gave in a previous review.

Sabang Hill Resort was not my choice this year for a couple of reasons. This being low season, few hotels would ever reach capacity, hotels are desperate for guests.

I sent the hotel numerous emails trying to clarify costs and possible discounts, they never replied to the discount requests for a booking in excess of 7 days, when they did reply they quoted a price of 2200PHP or $52 a night for the superior room ( a price increase of 10% on 2011).

Sabang Hill then requested a 50% payment of the total stay price upfront, to be sent via CHAPS international bank transfer, thus adding to the costs because of bank charges. Last year the hotel accepted PAYPAL which did not have these added costs or surcharges.

This hotel has become overpriced for the quality and services offered. I stayed elsewhere in Sabang this year for $50 a night, receiving a full breakfast, wifi in the room, 1kg of washing per day, met at the port etc etc

My advice is to search online the hotels in PG, ask for discounts and compare what you are getting for your money. If all else fails you can wait until you arrive and walk into the hotel, ask for best prices. At Batangas Port in the passenger waiting area there are several desks located, these are staffed with ladies touting for the Sabang hotels.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank colindmil
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Arriving exhausted and very hot at the port from our 4 hour bus/boat journey we expected to be greeted and helped from someone at the resort like all the other guests at their respective resorts.. but not us... so we are dripping in sweat wandering around looking for our resort.. after walkign about 1/4 mile dragging our luggage we finally find the alleyway leading to sabang hill and proceed up the equivelant of 4 stories of stairs... ready to pass out finally reaching the lobby the several staff members happily greeted me by name revealing that they knew i was coming... so why they didnt help us at the port? now they practically fight over each other to help me with my luggage for the last 15 yards so they can get a tip.. i refused to let them and was in nearly a tug-of-war over one of them on my luggage. We booked the supreme room which the pictures shows has romantic lighting etc.. those lights were broken in our room. and even one of the electric bedside torches didnt have a cord long enough to reach an outlet... so disappointing on that too.. Price included "free" continental breakfast which was only juice and coffee? anything else was extra !! what a ripoff ! we checked the breakfast menus in the other places and all their continental breakfast were standard fare including eggs, toast etc, but not sabang hill ! so we refused to eat at sabang hill. we left the room a few times for short time and came back to find the tv on and the aircon off ! they watched us and decided on their own when to come and turn our ac off to save them money. so we are roasting all over again starting from scratch trying to cool the room.. the shower produced only a trickle.. super hard to use it with so little water pressure. if you have kids or elders or anybody less than completely healthy in your party then dont book this resort as you could wind up walking the equivelant of 7 stories of stairs to get to your room. overall dissatisfied.. will never go back to that place again. and in case you need wifi it only works in the lounge/lobby.. doesnt work in the room. additinally, the only thing remotely close to a 'fitness' center is the walking up the stairs you will do.

Room Tip: so many other places are better