“Best Dive trip EVER!”

Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Best Dive trip EVER!”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Been Diving around the world and this special spot is by far the BEST!!!!! The Dive resort it's self was outstanding with friendly and helpful staff-When I left I felt like family-All the dive instructors, especially Walter, were patient and very careful with my underwater camera system. They helped me lug it in and out of the boat and always were on the hunt for the most usual creature's! There were so many unique and colorful fish everywhere-Somehow our dive instructors had the inside scoop where all the hard to find fish were!!!!! I loved it there and I'm all ready planning a longer trip in 2014!!!! The rooms were nice although we spent most of our time diving or hanging out on the upper deck-You will fall in love with this spot!!!!!

1 Thank Diverjillj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Monterey
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Hi fellow Divers and Divettes. This is our second trip to Scandi and it has gotten even better. The Staff and Dive Crews are all the same. These folks are as good as they get! Absolutely everything is taken care of for you! Dives are easy and close, with off gassing done back at the Resort. My wife and I, along with 2 friends were treated like family. We are all experienced divers (Instructor/Divemaster) and were never paired with divers of less ability. Dive times are limited by Air, not time. We picked the sites we wanted to go to and off we went. Walter, our guide is as good as they get and has a great eye for critters. Our "photographer" on the trip was never rushed to keep up, we just hung around till she was ready to move on. We were definitely in charge of the dive and Walter was there just to keep us safe. :)) Accommodations are still basic, but very comfortable. A/C in the units are more than adequate and often not needed. We turned ours off during the day. Food prep has improved since our last trip and the Menu has more variety too. The best indication that this is a great place, is that we are already planning to return next April. Simply put, this is a hidden gem. Clean, comfortable, affordable, friendly and easy to get to and from. All this and Starbucks Coffee too! :)) Want to join us, or simply want more info? E-mail me at LRN2DIVE@AOl.COM

Ken and Joni, Kona Hawaii

Room Tip: Single rooms, one bedroom suite and a 3 bedroom unit are all available. Rooms can be made up to suit...
2 Thank frmr48l
Philippines
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I started SCUBA diving as an act of sheer curiosity. Thanks to Scandi Divers (I can definitely blame them for this!), this might just be my next big obsession.

Big La Laguna Beach may be your better option when you are heading to Sabang in Puerto Galera. Aside from the fact that there is a better beachfront here, the area is also less crowded compared to the other side.

ON DIVING SERVICES: Puerto Galera is undoubtedly the center of the Coral Triangle, and has been recognized as early as 1977 to be a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO (a recognition that Palawan also got three decades later). If it's about diving, no doubt that this is the place to be. The location of Scandi Divers proves to be practical and methodical as the nearest dive sites (quality not compromised) are just some 20 metres away from its beachfront. I got an instructor named Conan (he is Irish) and he definitely introduced me to the world of diving excellently - of course, the Irish humour that he brings with him is a definite plus! On my first dive, he took me to the Hole in the Wall and some areas nearby West Escarceo - the selection of the first dive site was key in raising my interest further and in deepening my curiosity for more. On the second dive, we went to an nearby area of the La Laguna Reef, and the experience is as good as the first! There are a lot of dive sites available within the area, and it pays to get someone who knows which dive sites work for you, your level, and your interest. Suffice to say that their services are tailor-fitted to your personal and professional requirements. We took all dives with conformity to standard rules and regulations as set by PADI (we did some actual computations first as to how deep we can go, how long we can stay under water, and how soon can we take the next dive). The shop is compact and it's really well maintained.

ON FOOD: It is interesting to note that this is also the only shop in Sabang that serves Starbucks coffee. So if you are getting tired with the instant mixes, you should definitely seek refuge here. I enjoyed a lot their pizzas and soups. By in large, they serve mixed types of dishes, catering to different taste buds. For a great dining experience, take your meal up to the third floor for an unobstructed panoramic view of the waters of Verde Island Passage.

Ultimately, you go to Scandi Divers if you want an experience of a life time. Not only did I make friends with the staff there -- and their boss Terry -- during my four days with them, but I also managed to learn a lot about the area from chats with them (I was primarily on a research trip on the biodiversity of Mindoro). This only suggests that the people there are relatively informed about what they have and what they can offer - something that I don't quite find often from other shops that just do their thing and that's just it.

Over-all, my Site-Experience rating is as follows:
Site: 10/10 ; Experience: 10/10.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank theberntraveler
Taiwan, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I had my first discover scuba diving at Scandi's diver !
There are wonderful staff for providing us every detail we needed to know and friendly diving instructor gave us non-english spoken girls fully explanation on each steps and practice that make our first diving extremely gorgeous!
I definitely will go back again !!
BTW,the food there is delicious and lots of choices.
我第一次的潛水體驗!!招待人員非常親切替我們解釋每一個初學者應該知道的細節及練習,讓我們初次經驗非常完美!!
我絕對會再來完成潛水的美夢!!
另外,這邊的多樣化美食非常棒喔!!

3 Thank stephaniepan077
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

I booked 4 nights at Scandi Divers in late October 2012. The staff was friendly and helpful in showing us around and finding things to do. Their diving staff is also great as I thoroughly enjoyed diving there (the equipment is modern and up to date).
I booked the deluxe room which comes with a decent size flat screen and DVD player. The food at the restaurant was pretty good (nothing overly exceptional though). To sum up, Pardon the pun, but I would recommend them without reservation.

Stayed October 2012
5 Thank Nick S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I stayed here for 4 days in August 2012. I can rate this place as 5 stars as the service level and friendliness of the staff is excellent. Every time I walked by the said hello and asked if I needed anything. The housekeeper would ask me if I needed the room serviced and the front desk people would ask if I needed food or a boat ride somewhere.

I went diving twice and the ease of diving is incredible. The dive master – Terry (an Australian or New Zealand fellow) – is extremely professional and thorough with his dive planning and explanation of what we will do and how to do it. The boat comes to the front of the hotel and we are diving in about 10 or 15 minutes. Safety was never in question as everything is double checked. The boat has a crew of 3 or 4 people who help you in every aspect – from getting on the boat to taking your dive equipment on and off the boat. Bring your own equipment or use theirs.

The dives were simple yet very enjoyable. We typically dove to about 60 or 70 feet – which was ok with me- and saw some wrecks and lots of sea life including a large sea grass turtle.

Between Scandi Divers and their sister resort Campbells they offer rooms from the budget to higher end. My room was a budget room as I was alone and just wanted to dive and chill out. My room at Scandi Dive was a basic queen size with a tv and air conditioning. Always on hot water and a stocked mini-bar fridge made life easier. The drinks inside the bar were not overpriced and restocked daily. Some rooms have safes and flat screens and some are more basic.

My room came with a free breakfast and it was a Great western type breakfast. I had the Scan Breakfast and was very happy with it. They also offer a full menu of various types of foods and have barbeques and other events regularly.

The resort is in La Laguna and I read a comment that it is a hike from Seebang. YES it is a 10 or so minute walk from there but part of the beauty of Scandi Dive and Campbells resorts are they are away from the noise and crowds. Peace and Quiet are positive attributes of their location. Away from the party crowds.

I have nothing negative to say about Scandi Dive or Campbells. Both are grade A resorts and both are managed by Terry – and he does a great job.

I came and left at a bad time – in the middle of two storms – otherwise I would have stayed another 3 or 4 days. The island is a nice place to visit as well. I rented a motor scooter and saw much of it.

I will return on my next vacation. JEFF

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MonteBurns
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed in a standard room, which is good for budget travellers(approx.2000peso), and if you want more space and pay a little extra, you can stay upstairs overlooking the bay.
You have the flexibility to move to other rooms nextdoor at Campbells Resort, as they are under same ownership, incase you want a cheaper room(approx.1000peso), or just enjoy a change of experiencing your stay.
Regarding diving the resort facilitates all you need at the doorstep, and is an excellent location for novice divers. The bay offers diving for beginners and can be done from shore.
The management has a great philosophy of servicing the clients, identifying the importance of making your stay enjoyable, and it is a perfect location to holiday away from the crowded Sabang.

Room Tip: The more you pay the more privacy you get
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple