“It all just seems to work well”
Review of Scandi Divers

Scandi Divers
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have just returned from the Philippines. I stayed the first week at Campbell's the sister accommodation 75 yards away and due to a change in plans, had a spare few days near the end of my holiday and returned to stay at Scandi. That is the greatest compliment I can pay this place ....I went back.
The location is far enough from the busy Sabang to be quiet but a 10 minute walk sees you in the thick of the action if that is what you are seeking.
The rooms in Scandi are decent size with quiet AC and comfortable beds. The rooms are kept clean and when I was there they were reasonably quiet at night. The bar serves great value meals all day with plenty of choices available. The dive centre is staffed by experienced, friendly people and I was made to feel welcome and part of things right from the off. Whilst the basics are in place it is the staff who are the main asset to this set up. From the check in and office staff, the lasses on the bar and the dive team all work hard but the atmosphere is quite unique and laid back and a credit to the manager Terry. I tend not to go anywhere twice as it's a big world. But for this place a have made an exception and will do so again !

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank David N

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to big La Laguna beach. The first only a few weeks ago but as I live in Manila im able to travel here by ferry with relative ease. After spending some days diving with scandi divers my girlfriend and I attended the NYE party at the perfectly located scandi divers roof terrace bar. There was a great buffet with decent lechon, fire puy and a well stocked bar. The staff (on duty or not) of the resorts (associated with campbell's beach resort) were all friendly, helpful, welcoming and professional. The atmosphere was great for all the family with children and adults alike having a relaxed fun evening seeing in 2014, a year I shall surely visit this resort again (most likely several times).

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Scandi Divers at the Big la Laguna was our second accommodation in Puerto Galera. We choose this dive resort because of the very good recommendation in Tripadvisor and Expedia. The resort is located directly on the beach, is very simple and has own PADI club.
Unfortunately, we can't understand those positive advises from the travelers. In internet only the standard rooms were available, so we booked two of them. Arrived in the big la Laguna we got one of the rooms without window. It is not our stile to compline, but in this case we asked for an other room. The yang lady offered us upgrades like a premium room (+8$) and a suite (+160$) for additional fees. The rooms were bigger but not really better and we asked for another room in the same price category. Yes, we got it - a standard room with a window. The room was very simple with the 20 years old and very loud air condition, so we can't properly sleep at night. In the room no. 5 in the ground floor, there are big black bugs, our girls were always scared of them. The food were not our favorite at all, fortunately the breakfast wasn't included in the room price and we went to the other restaurant. The Starbucks coffee they offered doesn't have good taste.
However we wouldn't recommend to stay in this hotel. In this area you can find a lot of much nicer hotels and resorts.
Diving with PADI at Scandinavian divers was good and cheap with 33$ per dive only.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Elena A
davedo20, Manager at Scandi Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Finding a special room at a special price with no notice can be difficult in the busiest time between Christmas and New Years. In the tropics occasional harmless big black bugs are a fact of life, I see 1 or 2 each month

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I wanted to book somewhere relaxing and close to the diving, so that i cut down on journeys and had a more relaxing time. It was a great choice to go for Scandi Divers who had a warm welcome and were very proactive in helping me get to the island during typhoon conditions.

All the staff were welcoming and conscientious, bit without the busybody fussiness you get wherer people hustle for tips. Everything was relaxed yet well catered for.

The rooms were good and great value, with a low cost minibar, TV, aircon and more, which was all i needed for my dive trip.

The diving was very good and the staff very attentive. At times where there were no other divers I was still taken out for solo guided trips and the guides were very knowledgeable about the sites and where to find the critters. I especially thank Ray for showing me my first pygmy seahorses - and i congratulate him and his wife on their new baby!

Nick

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank moore2nick
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My second dive trip to O Mindoro and I wanted a little more quiet this time away from the more busy Sabang area. Tucked away near the end of the beach Scandi Divers is very peaceful even early in the evening, and not a long walk to the loud nightlife if desired. I got a very prompt email back from Katherine regarding my online inquiry from their website (scandidivers.com), and booked it easily with her help.

They will arrange transport from Manila, but I had been to Sabang once and like a little adventure. I found my way to the bus station, on to Batangas, and ferried across to Sabang on my own. Another short boat ride down the beach and I was delivered to the many smiling faces of the Scandi Divers staff - more about them later.

I checked into my room as found it to be very clean, and well outfitted for the dive traveler with a great AC to dry things up and work with cameras and computers. Wifi is only down in the bar/restaurant area, but I'm glad it was so as this got me out of my room more than I would have otherwise. I often found myself staying all day at the resort as relaxing as it was with great views from the open air dining area. Breakfast before the 1st dive, lunch after the second or third, and if you really wanted to, I imagine you could do a 4th dive before dinner. I had a habit of napping after the third dive and highly recommend it.

I took a couple mile-long swims straight out from the resort and found the route along the shoreline to the east very safe and picturesque. Watch the current though as the trip back may take longer than the trip out. I swam over the top of a sea snake on one outing and an octopus on the other. Happy hour was hard to beat offering the lowest price I found for refreshments anywhere in Sabang.

All of the resort staff were amazingly helpful and fun to be around - they were like family during my short 6-day solo stay, and that more than anything made this trip special and one I want to repeat. Thank you Arman, Amalia, Cristine, Domingo, Edna, Freddie, Kayrell, Marivi, Nilo, Philip, Rechelle, Renalyn, and Roger. I mentioned Katherine before, but can't help doing so again; thank you and all the staff for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: I was very happy with my room above the pool on the second level, but I think all rooms are quiet an...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Russ M
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I traveled in July with my three boys (10-8 & 6yrs) and we had an amazing time. My oldest son and I did the PADI course, with Conan, the instructor. Fantastic guy!! My son still talke often about him. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, particularly Armand. They were very nice to the kids and at some point even took them for rides as any other friend. Food is more than for a place like this and very reasonable price. Do not miss the BBQ on sundays and the ribs!!

Do not expect a nice and long sandy beach. This place is designed for scuba diving. However, they can arrange trips to near by beaches as "White Beach" which will take around 20 minutes by boat and another 20 minutes by tricycle.

On top of that if you are traveling with children, near by there is an Extreme Adventure Park where you can go karting, ATV's, Paint Ball, etc.

Again thanks a lot to all the staff at Scandi Divers: Conan, Jerry, Armand, Edna... We hope we could see you again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Anavarro1971
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Thank you very much to all at Scandi Divers, This was not my first visit to Oriental Mindoro or Big Lalaguna, but it surpassed all that I expected, the service was first class and I was always greeted by an amazing smile and greeting from all , the food was spectacular and well priced and I enjoyed many an evening at the sky bar overlooking one of the most tranquil beaches that Puerto Galera has to offer. The diving was amazing and I felt extremely comfortable diving with such knowledgeable well trained instructors. The owner and Management there made sure that everything and anything that I needed was never a problem and for that I am extremely grateful. If you are looking for a great place to stay near Puerto Galera I would say this place has it all ... A big thank you to all there ...As you say there " See you next time"!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo