“nice place”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sonny's Inn

Sonny's Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Galera
Sonny's Inn
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
clonmel
“nice place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Perfect locationvery close distance to ferry, night life etc , but owner was not nice. I have to ask to clean my room.She informed me that they clean rooms every second day!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

After my prior experience at Big Apple Dive Resort (see my review at http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g294254-d1528262-r85556942-Big_Apple_Dive_Resort-Puerto_Galera_Mindoro.html), I stumbled upon a room at Sonny's Inn. They were very friendly. They showed me a room with a fan, kitchen and cable TV for p600/night and it didn't look too bad. The owner's brother then informed me they also had a smaller (also with kitchen, cable TV and fan) room in the back for 400 pesos. I said that would work fine as well. I was assured I could come back in the morning and a room would be ready for me.

I checked out of Big Apple. Unfortunately, I had paid in advance and they would not give a refund. Instead, they gave me food and merchandise credit. I checked in to Sonny's Inn.

To get to my room in the back required climbing a staircase which was a bit awkward, but there were rails on either side. From there, I walked down a narrow walkway, half of which had a low overhang. My first thought was I didn't want to come home drunk here.

The room itself, though not pretty, was adequate for my needs. The comfort room did not contain a flushing toilet, but did have a detachable shower head. The water pressure was a bit low and barely sufficient. I was immediately concerned about the floor, which was quite slippery when wet.

The kitchen was adequate, but not super clean. There were ants crawling around on the counter and table, even after I scrubbed the counters and put most of the food in the fridge. Fortunately, there was a can of insect spray in the wardrobe, which proved quite useful.

The counter contained a steel sink and a two burner gas stove. It wouldn't light on its own most of the time, so I bought matches to assist. Otherwise, it worked well. The refrigerator was quite large, allowing me to buy large containers of beverages and food.

The remote control for the television didn't work even when I tried replacing the batteries and the buttons on the television itself didn't work properly. The wi-fi connection was excellent.

There a was fan hanging on the wall near the bed, but it lacked a fixed position. It only supported swing mode. This did not work well for me and I was very hot and uncomfortable without the fan blowing straight on me. I asked management if they had a different fan and--to my surprise--they purchased a new fan for the room the next day along with a new remote for the TV.

My room was cleaned after I had stayed 4 days in the room and by then it was starting to smell a bit damp. When the finally cleaned it, they also washed up some dishes which were in the sink and folded some clothes I had draped over the chair.

Something continued to bother me whenever I walked to my hotel. There were several inclines along the sidewalk which were slipper when it rained. There were a few place also were the walkway became suddenly narrow which were difficult to see after dark. I was constantly concerned about slipping or falling after dark, especially if I had been drinking.

The brother of the proprietor (the same one who quoted me p400 for the room) took a liking to me. He noticed I was looking for Monkey Beach and started to show me the way. He asked why I wasn't snorkeling, and I replied I had never been and had no gear. He got gear for both of us and walked with me to Monkey Beach and we snorkled back to Sabang.

Sonny's Inn is family owned, and one of the family members (before I checked in) learned I was traveling solo, and invited me for videoke with her son. I met several other women there that night, several of whom I have since partied with and now consider friends. One of my friends came to my room with me one night. I hadn't mentioned any of my concerns to her, but immediately she shared the same worries. She found a room for me at Down Under for p500, which was much cleaner, and also had a terrace. Since it was further toward the ferry landing, there were fewer obstacles to trip on, which was a plus.

I informed Sonny's Inn I would be checking out the next morning. On checkout, I was surprised to learn my p400 room was actually p500. They also charged me for 6 nights although I only stayed 5. I should have double-checked the date on my original deposit receipt for the exact number of days, but I didn't.

Overall, I would recommend Sonny's Inn to other travelers. The management was always responsive to my requests. I consider it my own fault I was overcharged for the room and number of nights. These things can be prevented by getting a written quote in advance, and double-checking your receipts before checking out.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank tiggurtoo
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

We just showed up on the beach back pack in hand no reservation within 5 minutes and 1000 pesos later I was at Sonnys a very nice set of cottages right on the bay less than a 2 minute walk to snorkling and exotic sea creatures. And the night life is Sabang I really love the way you can walk anywhere in town in 5 minutes and everyone remember your name the people are super friendly the girls are to die for and the food is good all very affordable.
Not some place I would take a wife or small kids. It is a party at night and dive in the day kinda place. I fell in love with the laid back people and I am already going back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple