“Avoid the Tropicana restaurant”

Tropicana Castle Resort
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Sabang, Philippines
“Avoid the Tropicana restaurant”
Reviewed 24 December 2011

My girlfriend and I went to the Tropicana restaurant for their much-advertised "Special Christmas Dinner.". I don't like beef, so I ordered something else, but they ended up trying to charge us 800php for that Christmas dinner, which consisted of 1 small salad, 1 piece of cake, 1 glass of wine, and 1 beef medallion entree with mashed potatoes. The entree came out too salty to eat, and this after a 45 minute wait. We sent it back, and after another half hour all we got was the cake. When we asked for the bill to leave, they tried to charge us the full 800php for an inedible meal. Worse still, my girlfriend doesnt like salad and had given it to me, and shared the piece of cake with me too! So all told, 800php and all she got was half a piece of cake...and to cap it off, after arguing about this for more than half an hour, they offered to reduce it...by 250php. An additional 15 min had us reduced 150php more to where we were paying *only* 400 php for that half piece of cake (and the delightful experience). Paid it and left forever, and went to go get nachos at Big Apple, lesson learned.

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank Jon A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Seoul
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed here thinking this hotel was one of the posh places in Sabang. Well, it was and the room I got was good and roomy but the hot water problem was a big negative. I couldn't take a shower with hot water my first night, and when I complained, the front desk clerk was less than sympathetic. They said they fixed it but I still had problems.

The place is in the form of a castle and is run by an Austrian. Overall, the hotel wasn't bad but the hot water problem made it negative for me. I might try the place again but I don't see myself going back to Sabang.

Room Tip: See the room first and test the hot water.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Beautifully designed hotel atop the hill in Sabang. As you arrive by boat, it is the first thing you see. We remarked, how strange that there is a castle on top of the hill, here in the Philipines!
We stayed for 4 nights, and the room itself was beautiful, tatefully decorated in caste style with the best mini-bar I think I have ever seen. Stocked to the brim with drinks and well priced too. Comfortable bed and a brilliant bathroom. A delightful swimming pool too.

2 rather annoying things though, breakfast was rubbish, and also you only get one free with the room, which is odd. The restaurant is next to the hotel too, so you have to leave the premises. One day we had one free breakfast and paid for the other, the next few days we either took it in turns to have breakfast or didn't bother. Also, wifi was woeful. I know this is the rule rather than the exception in SE Asia, but it really was a new height of dreadfulness. Frustrating connection issues, not a powerful enough signal for the size of the hotel.

Sabang is a weird place anyway. As we are not divers if we hadn't hired a motorbike I think we may have gone stir crazy. The island is beautiful, Sabang, (other than the bay) is not! A bit seedy around all the alleyways in the centre of town. Lots of what I like to call 'True Love' stories! Hmmm.

Overall, the experience of the hotel was great and I think with a few tweaks it could be brilliant. I find travelling in off season can always change opinions of places, but there was little real service and it was not a 'budget' hotel by any stretch of the imagination.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mahindra_Nick
UK
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We booked for 3 nights and stayed 6. The place is like a mock castle on the side of a hill. There are som mnay good things to say about the hotel that there is not enough space here! Dont book it if you have a physical disability or are in a wheel chair as there are many many steps to climb. when we got here we could not stop taking pictures of the place...even the bathroom door was worth a shot! Rooms are huge and very highly speked

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family