“Beautiful View”

Coco Beach Island Resort
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 16 February 2008

I stayed here with three other co-workers. It is a beautiful location. Our room was halfway up the hill. We rented the room with "natural" air conditioning. However, we didn't really didn't notice. During the day, we were on a boat or at the pool and at night the breeze was all we really needed.

It is more in an area known for diving, so the beach is as beautiful as some others I've seen. However, any beach is good enough for me.

The only thing that I didn't like was the mosquitoes. This is not really the hotels fault, though. Two of us got eaten alive and that was with the mosquito nets around the beds. The other two got one or two bites. I guess the mosquitoes didn't like them. :)

It was a very relaxing trip.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank omahanetraveler
There are newer reviews for Coco Beach Island Resort

Reviewed 13 January 2008

Me and my boyfriend always stays in Puerto Galera coz we are both divers. Weve been to a lot of places and resorts there. So, we decided last feb 2006 to try the private resort Coco Beach..We just dropped off there from a boat trip from the near beach the Big La Laguna where we came from that time.

I was amazed with Coco Beach at first sight, not knowing anything about the place. So we booked a room. I think its the next to standard. Their room rate is really expensive! And its not worth the room...Its native and all that but u can hear the conversation,(and even whisper) of the room next to you..Its not good for us..And the bathroom???!!! EEEeeewww,its moldy and dirty..So, my bf was shocked!! Is this it for what we paid for!! Thats what he always told me..And not only that, in some resorts with this overpriced they have, internet or wireless connection is a privilege or bonus to guest, and thats what we thought that time..Then when we checked out, we were surprised to have almost 3,000 php additional bill from using internet connections,(the wireless), and they didnt even told us when we asked that we have to pay everytime my bf opens his laptop and use the connection.Anyways, we just paid it(no choice , right)..Their food was just ok. Not much to choose from..

But yes, they have nice facilities like the swimming pool! I love it! And the happy hour they have! I love it too..The beach is nice..Quiet and romantic at sunset..The massage is very good! And they have many things they can offer to their guest..

The only biggest disappointment for us is the overpriced room!! ITS NOT WORTH IT..

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Divers2go
Reviewed 31 December 2007

I loved our stay at the Coco Beach Resort, it's more for the family atmosphere and couples looking to relax and get away from it all than for the hearty party going people. There's snorkeling, diving, jet skiing and I heard that if you want more of the nightlife type of experience you can get a boat to take you to another part of Puerto Galera for partying. All in all, it was a great experiance for us and we'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Loganc1
Reviewed 8 March 2007

We recently discovered this site and felt that though our beach trip was in July 2006, our experience should be shared in the hopes it doesn't happen to anyone else. Before discovering this site, we were just spreading it by word of mouth.

We had looked at the Coco Beach Web site and had heard praises from friends about the resort, so we were excited to go. Our stay turned out to be terrible.

Our room looked half-finished as some portions were left unpainted. Our linens were also inadequate, just a thin layer of sheet for bedding and a thin blanket. Walking around the resort you could also notice some things in disrepair. They had a mini gym that looked like it had gone to seed.

Though they advertised different eating locations, it turned out there was only one menu. That did not give you much choice. The food was also only average.

We spent our days by the resort's Silent Pool -- situated away from the main resort supposedly to ensure optimum relaxation. Despite the rules posted by the pool telling guests to respect the serene atmosphere, they did not. We had to regularly tell the pool attendants to call the attention of rowdly families.

The hygeine of the place and the staff also left much to be desired. The resort has this concept of "service family," where the local community is hired to attend to guests. Rooms are assigned to the families for service and care. The resort boasts of this system. The brochure/resort guide book stresses that the families do not have proper training, but the resort relies on their innate hospitality to ensure the pleasant stay of guests.

We do not believe you can run a resort without proper staff training! Staff need training in customer service and in maintaining appropriate cleanliness.

We had several big cockroaches -- the flying kind -- in our room. Unable to kill them on our own, we called upon our service family. Instead of finding them and killing them, they sprayed our whole room with insectised! We were horrified. When we complained to the management, they apologized and offered us free drinks at the bar while our room was aired out. They had no more air-conditioned rooms to offer us, so we could not be placed anywhere else. We certainly did not want to take any of their open-air rooms. If bugs could get into airconditioned rooms, what more in the naturally-ventilated ones?

Upon returning to our room later, we discovered the creatures were still there. The insectiside did not work. We literally had to keep nagging and promising huge tips to our service family in order for them to upturn all the furniture to get the roaches. We even demanded that we be shown all the dead bodies to be certain that they had done their job. Even then, we spent a restless and sleepless night, fearing what else could be lurking in our room.

Overall it was a most stressful and horrible experience. We felt we needed another vacation just to relax from our vacation! Though the manager apologized and gave us a discount upon checking out, we still felt that this was not enough. Our unpleasant experience should not have happened in the first place. We certainly will not return. We do not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
12  Thank sealye
Reviewed 16 October 2006

I was there October 8, 2006. Cocobeach is a beautiful tropical resort. They offered variety of foods, my air-condtioned room is comfortable but not great, and the restaurant personnel is not service-oriented.....in short, "what you pay, is what you get".

My chaos started after my dinner during my first night. I went back to my room seeing my bathroom window was fully opened and my porch light was off. After learning my electronics was stolen, I reported it to the Front Desk, they are very helpful but the Management dont care about the situation. They told me that in 20 yrs of service they havent heard any stealing at their property, and they even advised me that there is no evidence that I lost my things inside my room. I was so upset and I felt that I am not secured, so I decided to leave the place the next day. It is very obvious that Cocobeach is not a secured place to stay. I travelled almost around the world, even in the worst place of Casablanca, I never experienced this kind of situation....it is too bad, it happened at my own country.

Stayed: October 2006
21  Thank Butte
Reviewed 3 September 2006

stayed in cottage 7a,,very beautiful natural place,,loved it,,no a/c and no hot water...but they do have a/c in some of them,,,eugene was the service man,,very nice and genuine...am planning to go back

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rogyord
A TripAdvisor Member
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 23 May 2006

My husband and I loved our stay at Coco Beach. Rooms were unique giving us a feel of what rural Philippines is, although, some may find it hot like my hubby did. We stayed at one of the deluxe rooms. Very affordable value - the package/accommodation, the food, the services like the massage, etc. And the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We will surely go back next summer!!! :)

• Stayed: May 2006