“Paradise!”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Switzerland
“Paradise!”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This place is beautiful and all bungalows and restaurants really fit in the landscape, within the coco trees. The comfort is simple (no air con, but we hate it so perfect for us and a few visitors in the bathroom during the night), but everything is so lovely and well-thought that it doesn't matter.
Staff was incredibly welcoming and nice, always happy and ready to help. The service family brings you tea & coffee directly on your terrace early every morning so you can start the day by admiring the view while sipping your favorite beverage... there's no best way to wake up!
The place is not for party-animals but for families and people who want to relax. Food is very good in the 3 restaurants (surprisingly good pizzas) and the music bands who come in the evening are quite nice.
Spa was great.
Nice snorkeling in front of the resort and a free boat brings you to other snorkeling spots every morning. Don't hesitate anymore to start diving as it is simply amazing in this area.
We had a Deluxe room which has another room in the same bungalow. We were lucky to have neighbors only during our last night, because you can hear very well what goes on next door.

Room Tip: If you can afford it and want maximum privacy, book the Deluxe Suite which doesn't have another...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris77CH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
Sydney
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Coco beach was lovely. Picked the most expensive room tree top bungalow. No air con. You cannot put paper in the toilet. Bed is like a king single. Having said that the view is divine and the hammocks on the balcony are perfect for chilling and reading. The service they seemed a bit cranky and not happy. Food is below average and if you are vegetarian take your own snacks and soy milk.
Families who are looking for swimming and early nights along with romantic holidays this place is great. Everything is added extra so compared with other islands and staying in Manila it is pricey here. Would I go back? Probably not even though it was not a bad experience but the resort is remote and very quiet.

Room Tip: Trip top rooms are a nice experience just be aware there are around 200 steps up to the rooms and it...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PamelaFSydney
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Im just extremely glad I chanced upon Coco Beach Island Resort for our company outing.

Service - Excellent. The service boat was extremely huge for our group of just 15pax. They were on the port ahead of time. All employees were accommodating and attentive. While on the resto, I just checked my phone and the lady staff immediately offered me their complimentary wifi access. It really makes a big difference when things are being offered without being asked.

Resort - Very good. The ambiance was cozy and natural. Since this resort is isolated, the beachfront and pool are quiet and uncrowded,

Food - Very good and affordable. We even didn't consume half of the food they serve. The servings were generous. Our pre-ordered meals were always prepared ahead of time.

New Moon Party - Awesome!! The firecancer was great! The Here Now band is amazing! Weng-weng, rhum coke, and mindoro sling were unlimited all night!

For photos, check out --> http://www.chyngreyes.com/2013/05/coco-beach-resort-puerto-galera.html

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank riandrew
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 May 2013

If you are looking for a place where you can relax and unwind, you must visit this place. I am sure you'll enjoy your stay not just because of the place itself but also because of the staff whom you could feel the hospitality. You will really feel welcome, because of the welcome song they are singing while you are entering their restaurant and they are also giving welcome lei as their souvenir and taste their very fresh buko juice. Being in this kind of place is so amazing, you could sit in the hammock at the beach front and could read books and take some time to think of yourself and be stress free even just for a while. Foods are good and really delicious. They also got different restaurants for different cuisine. They also got a lot of activities; I really enjoyed the so called free boat. I really love snorkeling. Feel safe at their cottages. Their rooms are fabulous, with the touch of old style and bit modernity will help you to sleep well, there are also hammocks at the cottage balcony. Nipa hut style but with a really good ambiance, you will also feel at home because of the family taking good care of the cottages and keeping your room clean and fresh.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank UNKNOWN U
Caloocan, Philippines
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The first time I been there I can say that's a truly paradise. Beachfront. Quiet place. perfect for people who wants to relax. The food at the restaurant is affordable and very good. Lot's of activities that you can do while you staying there. The staff are friendly, helpful and nice.The room was nice and always fresh, for they have this cleaning service every day. Some rooms have fantastic view of the sea. It also ideal place for family and friends who wanted to relax and away from busy and crowded place of manila. Over all Coco Beach is a nice place to stay in Puerto Galera.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Pink Apple S
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Before our first ever trip to the Philippines about 4 years ago I did a lot of reading and one particular comment came up repeatedly, about the Peso currency and the fact that the 1000 Peso note was the largest note, and that this represented a considerable sum of money for most locals. On our first couple of times out we saw that some shops really did have trouble making change for a 1000 Peso note and we learned quickly to have a supply of smaller notes with us. My wife enjoyed those shopping trips and felt she was getting some great prices on hand tailored clothes, sandals, etc.

Fast forward to today though and it would seem that a 1000 Peso note no longer represents "a considerable sum of money", at least not around Puerta Galera. We were routinely quoted prices that ended in a few zeroes, for some pretty basic items and services. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for economic development but I draw the line when prices start to reach western levels and the amenities and services just aren't at those levels. I'll get back to this idea during this report.

The Coco Beach hotel seems to have a weekly rhythm where corporate and family groups come from Manilla most weekends, while it's mostly western European tourists during the week. This changes the atmosphere and volume levels too as the families let their children run amok on the weekend. I wish I had known that in advance, but now at least you know. On a positive note, the breakfast buffet got noticeably better on the weekends.

Speaking of the restaurant, the best I can say is that some meals were a lot better than others. I ordered a burger one night and what I got resembled a hockey puck. On another night the chicken burger was quite good. The BBQ chicken wings and back ribs were great. My wife ordered a number of seafood dishes and most were straight out of the freezer section and not from the fresh fish market in town. Whoever is cutting up the fresh fruits for the breakfast buffet needs to learn to wear a hairnet.

The rooms are small and basic, and completely lacking in hot water. I wish I had known this in advance too, but now you know this too. We would never have booked this place, certainly not at these prices. There was only 1 towel per person too and it seems like we were expected to use that towel for a few days.

This goes back to exactly what I was talking about in my first couple of paragraphs. Some amenities are normal at certain price ranges and towels and hot running water are the most basic of them. We were diving 2 or 3 times per day and showering that often too. One towel per person for more than a day isn't just being cheap, it's down right rude. These were the "deluxe seaview" rooms too, that are attached to the side of hill. There was nothing deluxe about them and I needed a shower just from walking up that hill!

Anyway, we went looking for a room upgrade and the happy, smiling, well indoctrinated people at the front desk helped us to upgrade to a Heritage room, soon after the weekend groups had moved on. These rooms were arranged for families and had multiple beds (didn't need), air conditioning (didn't need), television (ok, BBC is good), and best of all hot running water too, except that the room we got didn't have hot running water at all. In fact there was no water pressure from that tap.

At least once in your life you should see what happens to the facial expressions of a well indoctrinated front desk employee when reality collides with their indoctrinated knowledge.

This issue and the needed repairs lasted for our entire stay and eventually the managers just waived our upgrade fee, although we still had to ask for fresh towels daily.

I have plenty of positive things to say though. The staff in all areas of the hotel are fantastic. Happy, smiling, remembering your name and room number too when you order something, preferences too for breakfast drinks like tea or coffee, and limes with the tea too please. The first couple of days at breakfast I asked for a bit of soya sauce and I didn't often have to ask for that again. It just showed up on the table.

The dive shop girls were happy to fetch cold beer after the dives, while we handled our gear, and again they got the name on the bill right, and the right room number too even though we changed rooms during our stay. I love that sort of service and we tipped certain staff people really well for it.

As for the scuba diving, I just can't describe how awesome this place is. This was our second visit to Puerta Galera and we weren't disappointed this time either. Shallow coral reefs on sloping walls that go on for miles, stocked with tropical fish are just what we want on a diving vacation. There are rare to unique animals in this area that are icing on the cake. We saw octopi on most dives, sometimes more than one. The same thing for the frogfishes. We went to the Giant Clams dives site again, for the clams, the monster sponges and found seahorses too. There are nudibranchs everywhere and some of them are pretty much unique to this area.

We did a couple of night dives, one for the mandarin fish mating session, and on the other we found a Two Eyed Lion Fish (google it). I've been diving almost 25 years and have over 2000 dives in my log book. I didn't even know this thing existed. That's how awesome the diving is in Puerta Galera.

I know that we will be traveling and diving in the Philippines again, and possibly even to Puerta Galera for a 3rd time, but I doubt we'll stay at the Coco Beach Hotel again. We prefer places with fewer children, better food than we had here and of course there's that thing about the hot running water.

Room Tip: I would avoid the rooms on the hillside. It's a steep climb.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nofirstname n
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Me and my husband took our vacation at Coco last June 2012... I bought a voucher from internet for 4d/3n stay for only P4,000 with daily buffet breakfast... When we get there,the weather is good but they call it season of habagat which means rainy season so the beachfront is always high tide so the boat owner guide us using the back entrance,instant trekking...do tiring but adventure! When we reached the frontdesk,staff was great and welcome us with smile....from then you could say that they will provide good service....we stayed at the de luxe room and i felt so amazed with the architectural design and interior of it so relaxing....the view of the sea was great,the buffet breakfast was also great compared to hongkong buffet...amenities was good,and clean... water activities was cheap but you actually enjoy it! Advise.before going to Coco search for other near places you can visit like tamaraw falls... You can get there by commuting by yourself and not talking to fixers anymore...plus bring some food and drinks inside the resort but just to keep it a secret..:) going yo Coco was best!!!! I definitely recommend it!! Happy trip...

• Stayed June 2012
#24 of 52 in Puerto Galera
Eagle Point Resort
Eagle Point Resort
#1 of 7 in Mabini

Been to Coco Beach Island Resort? Share your experiences!